What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

Cletus

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/idris-poised-for-shock-selection-20100515-v5f1.html

The Sun-Herald can reveal that Blues selectors view the Bulldogs centre as the X-factor capable of snapping Queensland's four-year stranglehold on the interstate series. Idris has impressed the right people following a string of blockbuster performances. The teenage centre outpointed Eels counterpart Timana Tahu last month, backed it up with a strong representative debut for Country and impressed against the Dragons on Friday night.

You couldn't make this sh*t up.

But rather than starting him against the Maroons, Blues powerbrokers believe the 19-year-old can do the most damage off the bench in opposition to Greg Inglis.

I'm speechless. Idris is a hack in defence and "Blues powerbrokers" think he'll stop Inglis.:fist:

Kurt Gidley would retain the fullback and captaincy roles, but would push up into dummy half when Idris came on to the field. This would allow Jarryd Hayne the opportunity to spend some time at fullback, while one of the centres - possibly Tahu - could shift to the wing.

And we're going to change the team around during the game just to fit idris into the team! They've lost the plot!!

Last edited:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/idris-poised-for-shock-selection-20100515-v5f1.html

You couldn't make this sh*t up.

I'm speechless. Idris is a hack in defence and "Blues powerbrokers" think he'll stop Inglis.:fist:

And we're going to change the team around during the game just to fit idris into the team! They've lost the plot!!

the team they selected from that article

The likely Blues

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Brett Morris
3. Matt Cooper
4. Timana Tahu
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Jamie Lyon
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
10. Josh Perry
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Ben Creagh
13. Trent Waterhouse
Interchange: 14. Luke Lewis 15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs 16. Jamal Idris 17. Brett White/Jason King

DeeJ

Bench
Haha carrying a center on the bench. Haven't they learned from doing that with Josh Morris last year? Will Idris get a token 10minutes on the field when the game is almost over as well?

Haha carrying a center on the bench. Haven't they learned from doing that with Josh Morris last year? Will Idris get a token 10minutes on the field when the game is almost over as well?

how hard is it to pick form players in the positions they play every week :crazy:

Big Pete

Referee
What would the form side look like though?

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Brett Morris
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Michael Robertson
6. Preston Campbell
7. Luke Walsh
8. Luke Bailey
9. Robbie Farah
10. Bryce Gibbs
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Luke Lewis

14. Kade Snowden
15. Michael Weyman
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Ben Creagh

Or since you love a 'good' impact interchange utility and especially since niggle is not only tolerated, it's appreciated.

17. Anthony Watts

I'd hate to see a side picked on form.

Dugan > Coote on form
Regardless, I reckon that side will beat the side the selectors pick.

At least there are 4 good props playing, instead of hacks like White and Perry. I honestly have no idea in anyone's right mind, how Perry played for NSW last year, let alone Aus. He was lucky not to be dropped by Manly.

Big Pete

Referee
I was being fairly tongue in cheek with my post TaP.

But regardless, Coote has scored more tries, he's apart of a successful side and for some reason the media doesn't seem to love Dugan. Dugan could save a family from a burning house and then star in a game only for the media to peddle along somebody like Luke Burt. And we all know the media basically picks the New South Wales side.

I realise that, was just adding to it. Also, it is a massive shame about Dugan, although TLL getting picked last year gives him some hope I guess.

.. About Watts, he's a QLDer I'm pretty sure..? If not, I wouldn't mind picking him on the bench to sort of fulfill the Craig Wing role.

Big Pete

Referee
Ha! Looks like I pulled a Matty Johns.

On researching it, he comes from Tugun and is definitely eligible for Queensland.

I thought he was a NSW's product given his development with the Roosters.

Again though, that was me being a little silly although, if I was a Blues fan. I'd prefer him to Kidley off the bench.

evil_p091280

Juniors
Some Dragons fan you are... Hornby is retired from rep footy.

Is all good. I did know that, just saying on form, he be nsw's best 7.

And you never know, pick him and he may reconsider. Players have been retiring from rep footy only to come back for a last hurrah for years now.

abpanther

Staff member
I am just in shock that Idris and Tahu are gonna be selected, their form has been average and they have shown severe defensive deficiencies, mush more so than Jennings and Lawrence

hybrid_tiger

Coach
This is a f**king joke.

Chris Lawrence and Michael Jennings are twice the players Idris is in all areas of the game, yet because Idris is big, black and has dreadlocks he gets more media attention and hence will get picked in this team.

The whole selection process is a joke, from the selectors themselves to the media, who pretty much pick this side.

In City-Country Lawrence defensively kept Idris quiet, everytime he ran at him he was stopped in his tracks.

Karlos

Juniors
Having Idris in the side may be a good thing in the long term. If he follows coaches instructions he could be devastating. Inglis is the not the best defender either but he is big and difficult to handle and hopefully Idris could come close to the NSW equivalent over time. Having him on the bench would be an absolute joke, same with Tahu.

I hope to god Gidley is not in the starting side, at best he deserves to come off the bench as a utility. He also must be completely banned from any kicking duties. His last couple of performances for NSW have been cringeworthy, wasnt bad for Australia the other night though.

Not sure why Bird is even being mentioned, unless the opposition are 17 young women. The only way I would have him in the team is if you could have him and Gallen on the field at the same time and vainly try to recreate the form of the 'bruise brothers'. Unlikely that he is ever back to that form though.

Hayne at no.1, he doesnt appear to offer much on the wing.

Galeforce

Bench
Champion has been one for the best defensive centres this year and his attack has been origin standard.

Also I still believe a joke that Sutton not being discussed and Bird/Lyon candidates.Sutton will be an origin pivot by end of the series.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
198267-origin-backrow.jpg

Someone said Gallen does not offload.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Luke Lewis said:
"Gal is one of those players you love to play with and hate to play against," Lewis told The Sunday Telegraph.
"He keeps working and is just a warhorse. He loves the physical battle and the stuff in the paper earlier in the week was a bit unwarranted, in my opinion.
"He's a class act. I got to play with him in the Test and I thought he was great and his work ethic unbelievable.
"He will be motivated for Sunday and it's not only a massive test for our group, but Gal will be there trying to prove everyone wrong.
"I think he's made for Origin."

Karlos

Juniors
Yes, based on those stats Gallen looks pretty good. His penalties and errors always let him down especially in rep games but Watmough and Stewart are right up there with him on those.

Going off those stats Waterhouse looks pretty average but I thought he was good last year for the blues.