What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW origin side.

Smurf

Juniors
It’s pretty obvious , the only way NSW will beat QLD is if they pick a mainly Dragons pack .

The one danger in the QLD side is Hunt .

Hopefully they get to lap up the experience then return , injury free and bring us the trophy in 2018.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
It’s pretty obvious , the only way NSW will beat QLD is of they pick a mainly Dragons pack .

The one danger in the QLD side is Hunt .

Hopefully they get to lap up the experience then return , injury free and bring us the trophy in 2018.
Probably need 4 of our forwards.

Slater, Smith, Ado Carr, and Mr Benny Hunt will be the dangers.

(Ohhh, is Ado Carr a blue?)
Yeah....played in Sydney and eventually with the Sharks Toyota cup... Great!!)

Smash them all in legal tackles, except Benny of course.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Agree with you MILEY CYRUS , I had the same opinion for quite some time now . There are other 2 no rowers who are far more deserving of selection than him .
More than true...it's bloody true.

Cordner = occassionally decent, usually crap.
Sharon Woods = Meant to be on the netball bus, accidentally handed the wrong ticket.
No disrespect to netball meant.

ouryears

Bench
I too watched the ISP game. The whole team looked slow,disjointed, riddled with mistakes. Come SOO time we are f**ked. Not 1 player in the ISP team looked like they could play at NRL level. If we lose our STAR NRL players to SOO, then we might as well forfeit as WE WILL NOT WIN ANY GAMES IN THE SOO PERIOD.
I HATE SOO.
I think Arncliffe Scots would beat them. They looked a rabble.

Gareth67

First Grade
Some fool from the Dally Talagreph sports has Blake Ferguson down as a ' certainty ' to retain his place in the Blues side . Did this clown watch the Anzac Day match ? Our Nene ran rings around him and made him a look like the reserve grader he really is .

I thought that they were serious about winning the series this year , but will not unless there is a clean out of the rubbish that has been there for far too long now and that includes Woods .

Pick the team on form alone , there are so many good young players who have proved themselves in 1st grade this year . They have an abundance of skill , speed , toughness and the enthusiasm that will rock the Queenslanders back into the cane fields. There will be no excuses this time around as far as just whom is available to play in our squad as these players who have so much potential are there , have played in the hardest competition in the world - the NRL .

Freddy the world is your oyster - grap it with both hands and allow the folk of NSW to enjoy the taste of success.

ouryears

Bench
Some fool from the Dally Talagreph sports has Blake Ferguson down as a ' certainty ' to retain his place in the Blues side . Did this clown watch the Anzac Day match ? Our Nene ran rings around him and made him a look like the reserve grader he really is .

I thought that they were serious about winning the series this year , but will not unless there is a clean out of the rubbish that has been there for far too long now and that includes Woods .

Pick the team on form alone , there are so many good young players who have proved themselves in 1st grade this year . They have an abundance of skill , speed , toughness and the enthusiasm that will rock the Queenslanders back into the cane fields. There will be no excuses this time around as far as just whom is available to play in our squad as these players who have so much potential are there , have played in the hardest competition in the world - the NRL .

Freddy the world is your oyster - grap it with both hands and allow the folk of NSW to enjoy the taste of success.
Yes Gareth I agree we got to do a sweeping clean out.
Woods, Ferguson, Pearce,1 match Fifita, etc, etc, etc, etc....

Get the cleaner in, use the broom, sweep sweep sweep.

ouryears

Bench
You must watch a lot of park football.
Sort of, I have sons who have played for Arncliffe, Lewisham and Kingsgrove so have seen hundreds of games. The current squads for Dragons need good coaching (and tougher training) which they just don't have.

It's disappointing if we have to buy an entire first grade team.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2017: Vaughan happy to take backseat in NSW Origin debate
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4254_2836_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SPECIAL: llawarra Koori Men’s Support Group's Uncle Gerald Browne presents Paul Vaughan with his Indigenous Round jumper. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

IT was all he was asked about this time last year but Dragons prop Paul Vaughan is relieved to be quietly pushing his NSW selection case this season.

Vaughan’s push for a maiden Blues jumper was one the major talking points surrounding the Dragons fast start to last season, with many considering him unlucky to ultimately miss out.

This season, he’s part of ensemble act, with as many as seven Dragons expected to don Origin jumpers.

The likes of Jack de Belin and Tariq Sims have been particularly loud in their sales pitch – on and off the paddock – and Vaughan said he’s appreciated the chance to go quietly about his business.

“It’s been good, a few boys have been taking the heat off, it’s been great,” Vaughan said.

“I’m all for it though. If you’re going to say that and you back it up then why not? Bomber [de Belin] is obviously a great player and I thought he was ready to play Origin last year.

“I think this year he’s got to be a certainty. Cam [McInnes] would be great for Origin, he’s such a tough player, Simsy’s been on the brink for however many years. He’s back playing his best football.”

Being deemed surplus to requirements by Canberra was another factor driving the narrative around Vaughan in 2017, another thing he’s happy to be free of this season.

With that campaign now behind him, Vaughan believes he’s ready to claim a maiden Blues jumper, even if he’s not shouting it from the rooftops.

“Me personally, I don’t think I was ready to play Origin last year,” Vaughan said.

“It was more about getting my career back on track after [leaving Canberra], cementing my position in the team and getting back to playing good football.

“I think I can still play better footy this year, I’m still looking to improve. We’re playing great at the moment and we’re sitting on top [of the ladder]. We’ve still got a long way to go with our football and a lot to improve on so it’s looking good.”

While he’s the first to admit an Origin debut would’ve been premature last year, Vaughan said frank chats with coach Paul McGregor leave him with no doubt as to his readiness this year.

“Mary’s really good in the fact he does sit down and go through all your goals with you and gives you all the confidence to achieve those goals,” Vaughan said.

“He’s always been very thorough with the things I need to work on and we’ve never shied away from that. I haven’t had that before and he’s been really great for me.

“He’s one of the best coaches I’ve had and it’s great he’s got that confidence in me to reach my potential.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5393234/vaughan-happy-to-quietly-ply-his-trade/?cs=3713

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have settled on my origin team. I would pick the best players available and that would include Fifita for game 1 and 3. My side would be

1 Teddy
2 Addo Carr
3 Mitchell
4 Tom Turbo
5 Roberts
6 Maloney (C)
7 Cleary
13 DeBelin
12 Frizell
11 Sims
10 Fifita
9 Cook
8 Klemmer

14 Gutherson (utility back)
15 Campbell-Gillard
16 Vaughn
17 Pangai Junior

I would be leaving out Cordner and Jake Turbo as I think DeBelin, Sims and Pangai are more suited to origin. Pangai can cover second row now. He can also play prop or lock.

Cleary is a must at halfback in my opinion.

Addo Carr and Roberts would give us speed to burn on the wings. Tom Turbo and Mitchell can create at centre and provide individual brilliance.

It would be a very tough and aggressive pack that would play the power game.

Cook would be very dangerous playing behind that pack.

I would be confident of beating Qld 3 nil with that side and the majority of that side would be playing for many years to come.

I fully expect Cordner and Jake Turbo to be in the starting side. They will probably pick Dugan, but I didn't even consider him. I didn't even consider Woods or Jackson. I didn't consider Aitken either.

Jake Turbo, Cordner, Crichton, Cotric, Keary and Scott would all be on my radar if others were not available.

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Dragons and Panthers should dominate Blues
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 21 May 2018, 12:08 PM

St George Illawarra and Penrith's positions at the top of the NRL ladder should convince NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler to turn back the clock and adopt a selection philosophy which delivered sustained State of Origin success under his mentor Phil Gould.

Gould is the most successful Blues coach in Holden State of Origin history, guiding the state to six series wins during two stints from 1992-1996 and 2002-2004 with teams built around players from in-form clubs. The 2002 series was also drawn.

After leading the Telstra Premiership all season, the Dragons have Tyson Frizell, Euan Aitken, Cameron McInnes, Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin and Tariq Sims under serious consideration for Blues selection.

Just two points behind in second place, the Panthers could have halves James Maloney and Nathan Cleary, utility Tyrone Peachey and prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard in the NSW side when it is named next Monday.

St George Illawarra and Penrith meet in a top-of-the-table clash on Saturday night but regardless of the result, Fittler should pencil in the six Dragons and four Panthers before he considers any other contenders.

Should Fifita be considered for NSW?

Add Sydney Roosters second-rower Boyd Cordner and left centre Latrell Mitchell, who defend next to each other, as well as fullback James Tedesco, and the Blues would only need to find four other players for Origin I at the MCG on June 6.

With 11 tries between them this season, Frizell and Aitken have developed a strong right side pairing in attack as well as defence, while McInnes is a clever dummy half and a strong tackler in the middle of the ruck.

It is a model the Maroons adopted out of necessity as there are just three NRL clubs based in Queensland, while Melbourne also provides a lot of their players.

During the 28-year history of State of Origin, Queensland has used 197 players compared to 267 by NSW.

However, under Gould’s coaching the Blues not only used a minimal number of players during each winning series but they were drawn largely from clubs like Illawarra, Newcastle, Penrith and Canberra.

• 1992: 21 players used, including four each from Illawarra and Penrith and three each from Balmain and Canberra;
  • 1993: 22 players used, including four from Canberra and three each from Illawarra and Balmain;
  • 1994: 20 players, including five from Canberra and three each from Illawarra and Balmain;
  • 1996: 17 players used, including four each from Canberra and Newcastle, and two each from Parramatta and Manly;
  • 2003: 20 players used, including five from Newcastle, four Roosters, three Dragons and two from Canterbury;
  • 2004: 25 players used, including seven Dragons, five Roosters and four each from Penrith and Newcastle.
During Gould's first stint as NSW coach, Blues teams regularly featured club combinations such as Penrith's Brad Fittler and Graham Mackay as one centre-wing pairing, with Illawarra's Paul McGregor and Rod Wishart the other.

Canberra's Ricky Stuart and Laurie Daley were the first choice halves.

In his second stint, Gould opted for Newcastle's Matt Gidley and Timana Tahu as a centre-wing pairing and Parramatta’s Jamie Lyon and Jason Moodie as the other, along with the Knights halfback-hooker combination of Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus.

If Fittler was to adopt a similar philosophy, NSW would have a ready-made halves pairing in Maloney and Cleary but even if he chose Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary the Blues could have the Roosters left-sided combination as he defends inside Cordner.

Bulldogs prop David Klemmer, Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr and Manly lock Jake Trbojevic are considered near certainties, while Sea Eagles fullback Tom Trbojevic is vying for a wing spot with Canberra’s Nick Cotric and Roosters international Blake Ferguson.

Other contenders are Canterbury prop Aaron Woods and second-rower Josh Jackson, South Sydney hooker Damien Cook, Brisbane centre James Roberts and Cronulla international Josh Dugan.

Possible team: James Tedesco (Roosters); Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles), Euan Aitken (Dragons), Latrell Mitchell (Roosters), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm); James Maloney (Panthers), Nathan Cleary (Panthers); Paul Vaughan (Dragons), Cameron McInnes (Dragons), Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Panthers), Tyson Frizell (Dragons), Boyd Cordner (Roosters), Jake Trbojevic (Sea Eagles). Interchange: Tyrone Peachey (Panthers), David Klemmer (Bulldogs), Jack de Belin (Dragons), Tariq Sims (Dragons).

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of NRL.com or the NRL.

'He plays like a Queenslander': Ivan on Nathan Cleary

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/21...ild-a-team-around-dragons-and-panthers-stars/

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I have settled on my origin team. I would pick the best players available and that would include Fifita for game 1 and 3. My side would be

1 Teddy
2 Addo Carr
3 Mitchell
4 Tom Turbo
5 Roberts
6 Maloney (C)
7 Cleary
13 DeBelin
12 Frizell
11 Sims
10 Fifita
9 Cook
8 Klemmer

15 Campbell-Gillard
16 Vaughn
17 Pangai Junior

I would be leaving out Cordner and Jake Turbo as I think DeBelin, Sims and Pangai are more suited to origin. Pangai can cover second row now. He can also play prop or lock.

Addo Carr and Roberts would give us speed to burn on the wings. Tom Turbo and Mitchell can create at centre and provide individual brilliance.

I would be confident of beating Qld 3 nil with that side and the majority of that side would be playing for many years to come.

I fully expect Cordner and Jake Turbo to be in the starting side. They will probably pick Dugan, but I didn't even consider him. I didn't even consider Woods or Jackson. I didn't consider Aitken either.

Jake Turbo, Cordner, Crichton, Cotric, Keary and Scott would all be on my radar if others were not available.
I would imagine Cordner will be picked as captain and he probably has already got the tv ads for SOO in the can. But I also agree with your assessment that he should not be there on form alone.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would imagine Cordner will be picked as captain and he probably has already got the tv ads for SOO in the can. But I also agree with your assessment that he should not be there on form alone.
Just before I read your post, I was actually thinking that it is like NSW have picked the captain before picking the team. I pick a team and then pick the captain.

ouryears

Bench
I have settled on my origin team. I would pick the best players available and that would include Fifita for game 1 an

1 Teddy ( Turbo)
2 Addo Carr
3 Mitchell
4 Tom Turbo ( Jimmy the Jet)
5 Roberts
6 Maloney (C)
7 Cleary
13 DeBelin
12 Frizell
11 Sims
10 Fifita
9 Cook
8 Klemmer

15 Campbell-Gillard
16 Vaughn
17 Pangai Junior

Gould's side is very close to what I would go with.

No Cordner, agree
No Teddy, agree
No Sharon Woods, agree
No Dugan, agree

Merrin and Tamou very debatable selections though.

I would have to put Klemmer in, he strikes fear into the cane toads.

DduByejVMAAybxr.jpeg

Not Gallens team!

Attachments

• DduByemVAAEnRZ_.jpeg
    DduByemVAAEnRZ_.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DduByemVAAEnRZ_.jpeg
    DduByemVAAEnRZ_.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Hmm, Gallen picks some Cronulla players, Gould picks some Panthers and we're all picking Dragons players.

I can't work out what's going on here.

Gallen only put Dugan and Wade Graham in, I wouldn't.

He put Maloney in, as we all would.

Gould put Merrin and Tamou in, I wouldn't. The others I would.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Mine was maroon and blue, many different shades of maroon and blue depending on how old the jumper you were issued was.

Correct mate.

I neglected to mention the colours but meant to say the stripe pattern was like the Saints old jersey.

Our old Kogarah Maro Bros league jersey was the same but in red & White.

Latest posts