What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW selections?

tdawg

Juniors
I think that the selectors have done an admirable job choosing what I think is an almost perfect NSW side. The forwards chosen were pretty much what was expected while there were one or two decisions I did not expect in the backs.

The think the biggest mistake was choosing Campese over Mullen. Mullen has been on the big stage before and knows how to handle the pressure. You cannot choose a player simply because he had one good game in the past 5! Also, they did not give Mullen a chance to cement his position because they only saw half his game on Monday! I am sure the selectors would have prefered Mullen or Barrett but again let Bellamy have the last say on the halves. Just like last year, Bellamy's selection issues will let NSW down. All I can say is - Mullen for Game 2.

Other than that, I am very, very happy with the squad. Excellent decision to take McManus over Monaghan. 2 thumbs up for that.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Happy with the team.

Only changes I would make are Waterhouse for Stewart, and Brett Morris for McManus.

Maybe Learoyd-Lars on the bench for Kite with Poore into the starting line-up.

typicalfan

Coach
I think that the selectors have done an admirable job choosing what I think is an almost perfect NSW side. The forwards chosen were pretty much what was expected while there were one or two decisions I did not expect in the backs.

The think the biggest mistake was choosing Campese over Mullen. Mullen has been on the big stage before and knows how to handle the pressure. You cannot choose a player simply because he had one good game in the past 5! Also, they did not give Mullen a chance to cement his position because they only saw half his game on Monday! I am sure the selectors would have prefered Mullen or Barrett but again let Bellamy have the last say on the halves. Just like last year, Bellamy's selection issues will let NSW down. All I can say is - Mullen for Game 2.

Other than that, I am very, very happy with the squad. Excellent decision to take McManus over Monaghan. 2 thumbs up for that.
You are delusional if you think the team wasn't concrete prior to the weekend.

Campese is capable of better performances than Mullen and Barrett please.

The selectors preferred Campese over Mullen and Barrett that is why a selector picked him at 6 for Country over Mullen and Barrett and although he didn't set the world on fire he still performed better than Mullen.

juuniorfan

Juniors
Tdawg, I totally agree with you

McManus and Hayne had to be the wingers ahead of Monaghan if they were picking the side on form!

Campese and Mullen were both I think 50/50.
Mullen had a slow start to the season where Campese didnt. Now Mullen has found some form althought i found last night he didnt perform to well and his defense was a weakness.
Either way both would of been good selections, was just happy they didnt throw Luke Lewis there.
Another selection I was happy to see was Robbie Farah. This guy is the shining light and the key to the tigers success. He deserved his spot way ahead of Ennis.

I dont think to many people realise that both Campese and Farah play in struggling sides. Put them in their oppositions position they would be so far ahead their would be no competition. Example Farah in a side like the dogs and put ennis at the tigers.

His deserved his position over the years considering his side hasnt reached top 8 in last 3 seasons. Where as Michael Ennis has always been surrounded by outstanding players.

Awesome side

And guess what

Im a Queensland supporter, A very worried queenslander!!!

lockyno1

Post Whore
As a QLD supporter I am more worried about Campese than Mullen. Mullen was found out big time in Origin before and last night he was horrid for Newcastle against Thurston.

typicalfan

Coach
Campese brings a touch of unpredictability to the side, the way that Slater does for the Storm.

Wallace and Farah will run the show and Campese will be told to call the ball when he sees an opening and to run the ball.

Also he will have real weapons at his disposal rather than the kids he plays with for the Raiders.

Mullen has been on the big stage before and knows how to handle the pressure.

LOL yeah he really handled it well didn't he.

Plus Mullen's a halfback now. What's up with people trying to disrespect the 5/8 position by picking players from other positions? Campese's a genuine 5/8 and will compliment Wallace's game.

And McAnus sucked last night. Monaghan was robbed. He was the best winger on the field in the City-Country game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Monaghan has been very poor for Canberra though. I agree he is not helped by a poor side, but I think they should be rewarding players in form, Joel is out of form. Would I have picked McManus, no. I would have picked Brett Morris from the Dragons.

Godz Illa

Coach
Gallen is the weak link. A mental midget in big games and Queensland know it. His triumvirate of dumb penalties cruelled NSW in game 3, his rush on Cronk in the opening minutes of the prelim final gifted Melbourne a line break and a try, and in the World Cup final he was MIA. Queensland will work at him physically and mentally and have success

mxlegend99

Referee
It's a solid team, but not perfect IMO. These are the changes i would make:

Lewis > Gallen (assuming that Gallen is injured)
Laffranchi > Stewart (regardless of Stewart being suspended or not)
Morris > McManus (mostly due to his shocker against Cowboys)

RufusRex

Post Whore
Too many props - not enough back rowers ...

I would have gone in with Kite, Bailey and Weyman ... left Poore out of the side and brought in a back rower who could also play prop - Waterhouse or TLL

In the backs - Brett Morris is the inform NSW winger at the moment and I would have had him in over McManus ...

Summary - cut Poore/McManus, add Waterhouse/Morris

neeknitsuj

Juniors
The reason we've been losing to Queensland is because we didn't have enough props. The reason Australia lost to New Zealand was because we didn't have enough props. Four geniune props is the way to go.

Monaghan > McManus
Laffranchi > Stewart

Simo

First Grade
Like most im happy and excited with most of our decisions, except I think Morris for Mcmanus.

Im going to pay for the expensive seats this year due to wanting to see some of these players in action (Jennings in particular)

petetheileet

First Grade
Cut Mcmanus for Idris....

seriously, it would give them something to think about instead of picking another plain, ordinary winger!

aqua_duck

Coach
Atleast let the team run out there and see how they go instead of calling for changes before a ball is kicked. I personally would've prefered a slightly different team but hey see how they go 1st before digging the knife in

Dogaholic

First Grade
Tdawg, I totally agree with you

McManus and Hayne had to be the wingers ahead of Monaghan if they were picking the side on form!

Campese and Mullen were both I think 50/50.
Mullen had a slow start to the season where Campese didnt. Now Mullen has found some form althought i found last night he didnt perform to well and his defense was a weakness.
Either way both would of been good selections, was just happy they didnt throw Luke Lewis there.
Another selection I was happy to see was Robbie Farah. This guy is the shining light and the key to the tigers success. He deserved his spot way ahead of Ennis.

I dont think to many people realise that both Campese and Farah play in struggling sides. Put them in their oppositions position they would be so far ahead their would be no competition. Example Farah in a side like the dogs and put ennis at the tigers.

His deserved his position over the years considering his side hasnt reached top 8 in last 3 seasons. Where as Michael Ennis has always been surrounded by outstanding players.

Awesome side

And guess what

Im a Queensland supporter, A very worried queenslander!!!

ffs will you people give it a rest.

No one was rating the Bulldogs players prior to the season starting and it is the service of Ennis that is making others play well.