What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

adamkungl

Immortal
I see a few problems with this side. One is one prop on the bench, and instead of a prop you have picked mark minichelo? Anasta is a big no-no. Not horrible by any means but has had his chances and never delivered ad there is a better candidate in campese. You said no to campese because the raiders are playing horrible, yet campese has been in good form picking up dally m points throughout those losses, clearly showing he can shine amongst mediocrity (see nsw last three campaigns). Fitzgibbons form has been way down this year. Way down. Goalkicking aside, why would nsw need him there with younger players in better form? Ill give you the BOD on aubusson as I dont watch the roosters enough to be definite on him, but surely the best centre combo is cooper and monnas, with jennings maybe taking centre from monnas and one of either of them and someone else on the wing?

Also, I just saw you discuss why you left otu the likes of heington and laffranchi, but you have picked 3 props, with 1 on the bench, and no discussion of why brent kite misses out? Manly in bad form I suppose...

Thank you for a sensible answer, unlike saint-merkin. One prop on the bench is a poor oversight on my part, and actually a major criticism of the selections last year.

Fitzgibbon has picked up Dally M points in both of our wins (3 and 1, admittedly the Dally Ms are a farce) but he is in anything but bad form. I stand by picking him.

In the outside backs Cooper and Monaghan are the obvious selections. Monaghan can play Wing so I put him there to accomodate another centre, and I felt that there are no wingers at the moment making a very good case for selection. Jennings has been getting big wraps for a while, but again I moved him to the wing. Lawrence is probably the big up and comer, can find the tryline easily but has some issues in defence. I didn't think Aubusson would be a popular pick, but justified I think.

Anasta is the big 50/50 call I guess, but if he's in top form come Origin time, it seems silly to not pick him just because of past games. Btw has he ever played a whole series? I'm not sure how many games he got when he was with the Dogs.

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
1. Stewart
2. Best
3. Monaghan
4. Jennings
5. Hayne
6. Sutton
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Farah
10. Weyman
11. Gallen
12. Hindmarsh
13. Meteo

14. Gidley
15. O'Donnell
16. Laffranchi
17. Waterhouse

1. Gidley
2. Jennings
3. Lawrence
4. Monaghan
5. Best
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Laffranchi
12. Heighnington
13. Tongue
Bench:
14. Lewis
15. Creagh
16. Weyman
17. Gallen

Scarves

Juniors
There's still eight week until Origin One but I reckon as a New South Wales lad, we should be getting about 24 or so short listed players together over the next few weeks and start preparing early. Lets face it, Qld will have a group of tried, tested and ready players while the Blues will be looking at a few debutants along with new combinations. Israel on that right wing, the two centre pillars of Hodges and Inglis wrecking havoc. Locky, Thurston and Prince are all class, while their front row is again the benchmark.

My Blues squad at the moment would be based around people that can defend on the edges not just adequately but with extreme confidence. For that reason I've had to overlook quality young players such as the fleet footed Michael Jennings and the promising Chris Lawrence, if these guys were picked, well I know where those big Qld backs would be running.

The following would be my starters at this stage and then 7 or so travelling peripheral players. I usually like picking 2 props on my bench a back rower and a utility back, one of my props is arguably more of a back rower but he's a big guy and NSW are thin for quality front rowers at the moment, they all seem to be Kiwis but here goes.

1. Kurt Gidley - Is an origin player, he's future leadership material and with Brett Stewart's belated season start Gid's certainly has the inside running.
2. Joel Monaghan - The Blues really need to think about tall fast strong wingers to combat Israel on Qld's right wing, Quinn hasn't worked, tall wingers are part of the modern game plan at the moment and this bloke is a finisher.
3. Jarryd Hayne - Has plenty of ability, good defender, very strong/fast, plenty of skill and he would be given the brief of marking and challenging the champion Greg Inglis. I'm not a super fan of Hayne but I have a hunch he's got what it takes.
4. Matt Cooper - Is a proven class performer in both disciplines at Origin level, he'll be marking Justin Hodges and he'll do that better than anyone else available.
5. Colin Best - See Joel Monaghan plus he's been around for years and is in form.

6. Terry Campese - This guy is a genuine X factor who thinks in plays ahead, if we are to beat Qld we not only need to contain them but offer plenty of questions in return, I'd pick him plus tax and a thickshake.
7. Peter Wallace - Other than that testicle injury he's the incumbent, Man of the match in Origin 1 and with every game he simply looks a class act with stacks of time, he should be a certainty.

8. Luke Bailey - We are short in the front row and we need to go back to experienced hard men nudging their 30's. Bailey is a leader, we are lacking leaders and he's genuine quality, only injury has prevented him taking part in previous campaigns.
9. Robbie Farah - Just a classy player who'll ask more questions of Qld, we need those maroons on the back foot, he's the brains in the engine room and the kind of player to suit this team.
10. Brent Kite - Manly's form worries me but this bloke will lift for Origin, after his performances in the the big games of 2008 I have no hesitation in backing him.
11. Nathan Hindmarsh (Captain) - The fans and players love this bloke, he is a genuine 80 minute leader and someone players will rally around, his impact in attack and defence is trojan like, he is a dead set must pick!!!
12. Luke O'Donnell - Rep teams need balance in a backrow, a worker, a ball player and your hard man, this bloke is made for Origin and he's not a grub that gives away stupid penalties.
13. Glen Stewart - Probably Manly's best up until now and he's a quality ball player, defender and hole runner who plays for the 80 min.

They would be my starting 13, the rest of my squad would contain players that are around the mark.

My Bench would be:
14 Res. Luke Lewis - Is the utility man in my side, he plays all positions to a high standard and the more he ages the more he looks ORIGIN.
15 Res. Ben Creagh - Has been around the mark for a while, offers plenty from the bench and is all class.
16 Res. Michael Weyman - Possibly the form prop of the comp (on the NSW side) and lets face it we really don't have many, he appears to have harnessed his aggression and he'll need to as this is another level.

The final bench spot is between:

Res. Anthony Tupou -He has size and strength and will be needed to rotate with the front rowers plus he knows what is required and now is the time to step up.

or

Res. Trent Waterhouse - Like Chuck Norris (MIA) , I don't know where this guy has been but he's back breaking the line and hitting hard, he's as big as a front rower and this team needs size deluxe, if I were a selector I'd be having a talk with him right now.

Extra Squad Players:
Res. Trent Barrett - has been to the cauldron before and although it was some time ago I have a very long memory, he knows what it takes and I hope he would lift in the Origin arena as we may need him.
Res. Paul Gallen - Haven't been a fan of this bloke at this level, he's not an inspiring leader and is basically a grub who gives away stupid penalties. However he is obviously a hard nut and if he can pull his head in well he's cover for a player such as Luke O'Dononell.
Res. Chris Houston - I have really enjoyed watching this bloke play, I just think he has a stack of ability and all the skills, I hope he keeps it up.
Res. Beau Scott - Hard runner who can play back row or centre, he tackles super and isn't far away, especially for his utility value.
Res. Chris Heighington - I think he is a courageous gutsy player but I'm not sure of his skill level just yet. He needs to carry on last years form further before his selection is warranted, I reckon if he was told he was in the picture, that type of encouragement could lift him further.
Res. Brett Stewart - Obviously cover for Kurt Gidley but his selection obviously depends on the miracles he provides at Manly between now and Round 11. Being a Manly fan I hope he bounces back but honestly I think the NSW custodian position is Gidleys barring injury.

Tommax25

Bench
Thank you for a sensible answer, unlike saint-merkin. One prop on the bench is a poor oversight on my part, and actually a major criticism of the selections last year.

Fitzgibbon has picked up Dally M points in both of our wins (3 and 1, admittedly the Dally Ms are a farce) but he is in anything but bad form. I stand by picking him.

In the outside backs Cooper and Monaghan are the obvious selections. Monaghan can play Wing so I put him there to accomodate another centre, and I felt that there are no wingers at the moment making a very good case for selection. Jennings has been getting big wraps for a while, but again I moved him to the wing. Lawrence is probably the big up and comer, can find the tryline easily but has some issues in defence. I didn't think Aubusson would be a popular pick, but justified I think.

Anasta is the big 50/50 call I guess, but if he's in top form come Origin time, it seems silly to not pick him just because of past games. Btw has he ever played a whole series? I'm not sure how many games he got when he was with the Dogs.

I noticed fitzy played a blinder, I forgot about that actually, although before that he wasnt in the best of form? I agree there are no standout wingers, its a bit annoying when some who might have been in line are now 5/8's or havent been playing...I cant remember on Anasta, although I suspect he only ever got 2 games out of three, I remember him being hoooked for one and getting picked after game 1 another time, not sure about the other series'.

I though I'd give you my current choice just to be fair.

Stewart (perhaps a bit hopeful on my part, he'd have to hit the ground running pretty to oust gidley, but I still believe stewart is the best fullback option available)
Wolfman (I've plumped for wolfy here because I still cant forget his excellent performance in shutting down big manu against the warriors last season, that type of big D shutting down big wingers (possibly folau and inglis) could be crucial, but I'm not married to him being there, but as you said no standout wingers)
Cooper
Jennings
Monahan
Campese
Wallace
Kite
Farah
Weyman (I've been really impressed with him so far, has proved me wrong and right now I couldnt leave him out)
Laffranchi
Stewart
Mateo

Bailey
Sutton
Creah
Poore/Cross (I'm a fan of Poore so I'd go with him, but if Cross picks his game up to around last years standard he could make an impact)

Others I think could make an impact but arent necessarily my first choices are odonnel if he can recapture some form, anasta the same deal, gidley at fullback, gallen but I'm leaning away from him now he'll probably be out for 2-3 weeks, mullen in the halves, waterhouse if he keeps up his good form, the same for lukey lewis as a utility, idris as a smokey in the centres, hayne on the wing or in the centres if he recaptures his debut year form.

Players who I do not think should see the jersey this year (barring massive form reversals) are hoffman, quinn, turner, white (I know it seems I'm picking on the storm but none of these players impressed imo, particularly the last three), tupou, pearce, mason. Everyone there bar pearce smacks of same old, same old (and will probably be chosen as a result) and the same team with the same players will net the same results. Pearce simply wasnt ready to play it last year imo, and didnt deserve to, and doesnt deserve to this year either even though he is the incumbent (because really its wallace, pearce dont play if wallace doesnt get injured, and if he isnt anastas halves partner, and if he doesnt have a famous dad, and if he doesnt play for the roosters who seem to get their whole team picked regardless of form).

Make of it what you will.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade
9 - Ennis Sorry Farah, second choice yet again. Ennis is the form hooker of the competition...

Explain the Ennis is the form hooker of the competition comment please.

50/50 call? Anasta had a great start to last season, but was fairly quiet in the second half. Campese has been far an away the best 5/8 since, which is why he was picked for the Australian team and Anasta wasnt. If Campese can mantain half of the game he is playing these days he is a shoe in for NSW.

Phillips

Referee
1. Brett Stewart/Kurt Gidley
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings/Joel Monaghan
4. Matt Cooper
5. Chris Lawrence
6. Terry Campese
7. Peter Wallace
8. Justin Poore
9. Michael Ennis
10. Luke Douglas
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Luke O'Donnell/Ben Creagh

14. Robbie Farah
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Michael Weyman
17. -vacant for another prop- (Galloway has impressed me)

Joker's Wild

Coach

You may not have intended it mate but you were always going to draw a fair bit of critisism being a Roosters fan and picking so many Roosters in the side.

TBH, Aubusson is the only selection I can completely disagree with. The rest have at least some merit.

hugzy

Juniors
hey i think NSW will win this year, we got so much creativity aroudn the ruck and got a much better fwd pack!
ok for game 1
1. B Stewart
2. J Monaghan
3. D Collis
4. M Cooper
5. J Morris
6. B Anasta
7. P Wallace/T Campese
8. L Bailey
9. R Farah
10. B Kite
11. The Gaffa
12. C Heighington
13. P Gallen
14. J Mullen
15. B Creagh
16. M Weyman
17. N Hindmarsh
strategy is to run them off the park. Our fitness is so much better than theirs with Bailey, Laffa, C-High and Hindmarsh. When Kite goes off Laffa goes to prop, anasta goes to lock and Jarrod "BIG GAME PLAYER" Mullen goes to 5/8th.
Players on the bubble:
K Gidley - only if Stewart isn't playing. no point playing him off the bench, no impact
T Campese/P Wallace - one on standby... PLEASE do NOT pick Failure Pearce
Watmough - dont need him with laffa and c-high there but a good addition
Ennis - if farah is n/a

adamkungl

Immortal
You may not have intended it mate but you were always going to draw a fair bit of critisism being a Roosters fan and picking so many Roosters in the side.

TBH, Aubusson is the only selection I can completely disagree with. The rest have at least some merit.

So many? I picked 3...I also picked 3 Dragons, 2 Titans, 2 Panthers, and even a Souffs player ;-) Hardly an uneven spread.

andrew057

First Grade
So many? I picked 3...I also picked 3 Dragons, 2 Titans, 2 Panthers, and even a Souffs player ;-) Hardly an uneven spread.

50/50 call? Anasta had a great start to last season, but was fairly quiet in the second half. Campese has been far an away the best 5/8 since, which is why he was picked for the Australian team and Anasta wasnt. If Campese can mantain half of the game he is playing these days he is a shoe in for NSW.

Sleep

Juniors
I tried and I honestly can't pick a team yet. Mason has no buisness in the team this year though and even last year shouldn't of been in the side.

Gidley, Cooper, Wallace, Bailey, Farah, Gallen, Glenn Stewart, Monaghan and Lafranchi will probably all get a spot. Tupou has been a staple in years gone by but I'm not so sure about this year.

I'd like to see Waterhouse get another go. He's been on fire thus far this year but he needs to keep it up. Heighington deserves a go too. Kite could be unlucky and miss out. I'm hoping Campese gets 5/8 but if Barrett is healthy it's his to lose.

adamkungl

Immortal

A whole bunch of people think Farah is in better form, and a whole bunch of other people think Ennis is. I tend to think Ennis would make a better Origin player.

I tried and I honestly can't pick a team yet. Mason has no buisness in the team this year though and even last year shouldn't of been in the side.

Gidley, Cooper, Wallace, Bailey, Farah, Gallen, Glenn Stewart, Monaghan and Lafranchi will probably all get a spot. Tupou has been a staple in years gone by but I'm not so sure about this year.

I'd like to see Waterhouse get another go. He's been on fire thus far this year but he needs to keep it up. Heighington deserves a go too. Kite could be unlucky and miss out. I'm hoping Campese gets 5/8 but if Barrett is healthy it's his to lose.

Barrett's hardly set the world on fire since coming back, so I can't see why they'd automatically gift him an origin jumper.

Sleep

Juniors
When has form really mattered to selectors in the past? I'd love to see Campese in the team but name and experience alone has seen scrubs like Mason keep there spot when we'd of been far better off picking someone else who was in form and deserved the spot.

Frederick

Staff member
1. Gidley (c)
2. B. Morris/Merritt
3. Jennings
4. Monaghan
5. Best
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Farah
10. Bailey