What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

hutch

First Grade
As Queenslander, this is the team I would be most worried about. NSW selectors won't pick it thank god, but if they did it could hurt us.

1. Gidley
2. J Williams
3. Lawrence/Jennings
4. Monaghan
5. D Williams
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Farah
10. Bailey (c)
11. Gallen
12. O'Donnell
13. Sutton/Mateo

14. Lewis
15. Laffranchi
16. Heighington
17. Cross

the fact you have bailey as your captain, who should be nowhere near the team show that you are taking the p*ss. (actually apart from that it isnt too bad, although j williams is no chance)

also, a lot of people have been picking mateo, as far as i know he still hasnt switched his eligibility from tonga to australia so isnt eligible for origin.

Last edited:

Broncos fan!

Juniors
the fact you have bailey as your captain, who should be nowhere near the team show that you are taking the p*ss. (actually apart from that it isnt too bad, although j williams is no chance)

also, a lot of people have been picking mateo, as far as i know he still hasnt switched his eligibility from tonga to australia so isnt eligible for origin.
Whats wrong with Bailey??

Talanexor

Juniors
Bailey is past his prime, true, but he is an experienced club captain who has played Origin before. And he's a workhorse prop, something NSW desperately need.

Who else do you pick for captain then? If its Gidley, he needs to be picked at fullback, which means you need to find someone else to fill the bench utility spot.

John Williams is actually better than his brother, but he lacks the premiership ring. If the NSW team was picked on form and ability, John Williams would be on the wing ahead of Hayne or anyone else people seem to pick regularly. It takes a Cowboys fan to see it though - and how many people in NSW are Cows fans?

I would pick Mateo over Sutton for the lock forward position, but if he is inelegible then it would be Sutton. They play a very similar style, but Mateo has better ball skills.

But hey - it's all hypothetical. Might as well pick Mason, Fitzgibbon, Hindmarsh, Hayne, Cooper, Pearce, Anasta and all the other over-the-hill, out-of-form nuffies who have failed last time.

hutch

First Grade
Whats wrong with Bailey??

too small and too slow for origin. good, solid club player but he struggled to make the step up before, and picking him now is not the direction we want to head in. we need to pick big, strong, fast forwards to win the forward battle. we cant beat qld out wide.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Bailey is past his prime, true, but he is an experienced club captain who has played Origin before. And he's a workhorse prop, something NSW desperately need.

Who else do you pick for captain then? If its Gidley, he needs to be picked at fullback, which means you need to find someone else to fill the bench utility spot.

John Williams is actually better than his brother, but he lacks the premiership ring. If the NSW team was picked on form and ability, John Williams would be on the wing ahead of Hayne or anyone else people seem to pick regularly. It takes a Cowboys fan to see it though - and how many people in NSW are Cows fans?

I would pick Mateo over Sutton for the lock forward position, but if he is inelegible then it would be Sutton. They play a very similar style, but Mateo has better ball skills.

But hey - it's all hypothetical. Might as well pick Mason, Fitzgibbon, Hindmarsh, Hayne, Cooper, Pearce, Anasta and all the other over-the-hill, out-of-form nuffies who have failed last time.
I agree with Williams. David Williams is so overhyped. He played well last year but playing for a team like the Sea Eagles and for his beard and the name Wolfman has made him a favourite. Ive been saying all year and most of last year that John is better. You are the first person i have seen that agrees with me on it.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
too small and too slow for origin. good, solid club player but he struggled to make the step up before, and picking him now is not the direction we want to head in. we need to pick big, strong, fast forwards to win the forward battle. we cant beat qld out wide.
I can't see how 189cm and 106kg is too small. I think him and Kite should be NSW starting props.
I was very amased to see Bailey made 196m against the storm the other night.

donkey|rope

Juniors
02. Eric Grothe
I've always liked Grothe. He was a pretty meh round 4, but I hope he keeps on the up and up, he's the type of big frame we need on the wing.

01. Kurt Gidley [c]
I don't get giving Gidley the Captaincy and I don't just mean in your Oigin team. The Media seem to be running with it too. He'd be my fullback at the moment but only because Brett Stewart is a genius. If Stewart was on the park and playing well, Gidlely would be coming of the bench.

mxlegend99

Referee
Kurt Gidley had better not be our utility. He has to start at fullback or not be selected at all. NSW would be wasting a position if Stewart or Gidley are picked on the bench.

Luke Lewis is probably the form utility player at the moment. Has been playing between the halves and 5/8 for the Panthers so far this season and has been awesome. Could pretty much cover any position in the team except for the front row.

Tommax25

Bench
I can't name a NSW team I would be scared of ... but you need to cut ALL the dead wood in one hit and stick with it for a few years

Kidley
Hayne
Lawrence
Monaghan
D Williams
Campese
Wallace
Weyman
Farah
Cross
Watmough
Gallen
Mateo

Creagh
Laffranchi
a prop with skill - that you don't have
an attacking dynamo that covers halves and hooker - NOT Wing

I spit in the general direction of those above picking the same old garbage - pick them and keep losing ... its that simple

Oink !

Cuthbo? Maybe the closest to a "prop with skill" in nsw?

legend

Coach
Gidley
Williams
Cooper
Jennings
Monaghan
Campese
Wallace
Gallen
Laffranchi
Creagh
Weyman
Farah
Kite

Lewis
Cross
Poore
Sutton/Mateo

adamkungl

Immortal
4 rounds gone so we have a decent indicator of form. The QLD backline is one of the greatest in history, so I'll be going for defensively solid centres. here's my current side:

1 - Gidley In good form and not a shred of competition with Minchiello and Stewart out. Stewart will have 7 rounds to prove his point though before game 1.
2 - Monaghan Imo there aren't too many wingers making a great case at the moment.
3 - M. Aubusson Won't be a popular pick I assume but has everything needed to succeed at Origin level. A lot quicker than he looks, gets the ball out to his winger, and most importantly flawless defence. Hopefully he'll prove my point by containing Hodges, Folau and co on Good Friday.
4 - Cooper Another top defensive centre, been there many times before. Both centres picked can find the line and are better defensively than competitors such as Lawrence and Jennings.
5 - Jennings I'm not sure if he can play Wing (Panthers fans?) but he deserves selection. There aren't too many wingers making a standout case at the moment. I'm sure we'll see the likes of Quinn make a return though given the coach :(
6 - Anasta In good form and getting better each week. The only sensible competitors are Barrett and Campese, but with Barrett only having had 2 games in the NRL in years and Canberra playing terrible football, Anasta should get the nod.
7 - Wallace In brilliant form, and although outplayed by Soward on Friday, overall has better form, and stands out in front of other hopefuls Pearce and Mullen. Orford is yet to be spotted in 09.
8 - Weyman Probably the form prop of the competition, at least in NSW anyway.
9 - Ennis Sorry Farah, second choice yet again. Ennis is the form hooker of the competition.
10 - Bailey Experienced, in good form, and was there last time NSW won a series. Making huge metres for the Titans.
11 - Fitzgibbon Still making the opposition look average. Was without a doubt the only NSW forward that can hold his head high after last year's bashing. 15/16 goals for the season too.
12 - O'Donnell Decent form, has done the job before.
13 - Sutton In good form and Souths winning games, should finally get his chance this year. Not a five-eight though, regardless of some calling for his selection there.

14 - Lewis Form utility of the competition, can slot in all over the place.
15 - Mark Minichiello With Bailey, making massive metres for the Titans. Flying under the radar for the last couple of years but look at his stats. 37 hitups for 461 metres. Obviously breaking the advantage line with nearly every run.
16 - Creagh Another big metre eater capable of getting of the QLD forward pack.
17 - Galloway In good form, currently one of the form props in NSW.

Raider_69

Post Whore
anasta has been tested at origin level and is a proven failure. The above side would get eaten by queensland

saint-colesy

Juniors
LOL @ your Rorters bias

FMD Fitzgibbon over the likes of Creagh, Laffranchi, Heighnington and Gallen.

Mark Minichello? LOLOLOLOL
Anasta over Campese, Mullen.

Are you even rugby league fan?

Thats easily the worst NSW side i've ever seen named

Johns Magic

Referee
1. Gidley
2. Merritt
3. Jennings
4. Monaghan
5. Stewart
6. Campese
7. Barrett
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Douglas
11. Gallen
12. Hindmarsh
13. Mateo

14. Weyman
15. Kite
16. Wing
17. Sutton

saint-colesy

Juniors
You're a bigger clown then the last bloke.

Cooper is the only player in the backline whos spot is certain.

Stewart is a fullback or nothing.

Merritt is just nothing.

Douglas wont start,

Bailey is past it

No point having wing and sutton on the bench, one or the other or neither but not both.

adamkungl

Immortal
LOL @ your Rorters bias

FMD Fitzgibbon over the likes of Creagh, Laffranchi, Heighnington and Gallen.

Mark Minichello? LOLOLOLOL
Anasta over Campese, Mullen.

Are you even rugby league fan?

Thats easily the worst NSW side i've ever seen named

:roll:

Gallens a liability. Heighington has so far been pretty quiet this year. Laffranchi I left out because he was one of the worst of the pack that got dominated by QLD last year. Creagh would have been next picked. Fitzgibbon was NSWs best forward last year, and you're either an idiot or a liar if you think otherwise. Of course you're a Dragons fan so probably both.

As for Campese and Mullen, you can pick on form or you can pick on the basis that Anasta has been beaten before.

I thought picking Aubusson was far more likely to be called biased. Next time I'll just name the Dragons side...:crazy:

saint-colesy

Juniors
You're a dickhead lol.

Fitzy is an old man, doesnt deserve to be picked.

Anasta has been tried before and failed every time. He's sh*t.

Laffranchi is a machine and is a certainty to be picked.

Who the f**k is Aubusson? He wont make City/Country let alone the NSW team.

TimmyB

Juniors
There's no way Ennis can be picked. Farah is in unbelievable form - and that's coming off back surgery!