What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

Raider_69

Post Whore
1. B Stewart
2. J Hayne
3. J Monaghan
4. Matt Cooper
5. A. Uate
6. J. Mullen
7. T. Barret
8. B. Kite
9. K. Gidley
10. J. Perry
11. A. Watmough
12. A. Laffranchi
13. G.Bird of B.Creagh

good solid starting 13

:lol: laughable team
a fullback playing hooker for 80 minutes at State level, a bloke playing 5/8th who is yet to prove he is up to that level of competition, a bloke on the wing who cant tackle and cant even cement a place in FG as yet...

surprised we didnt see you throw McManus in place of Monaghan, Steve Simpson in for Watmough and Jacob Ling in for Kite :lol:

01. Brett STEWART
02. David WILLIAMS
03. Joel MONAGHAN
04. Michael JENNINGS
05. Jarryd HAYNE
06. Terry CAMPESE
07. Matt ORFORD
08. Brent KITE
09. Michael ENNIS
10. Josh PERRY
11. Anthony LAFFRANCHI
12. Glenn STEWART
13. Paul GALLEN

14. Anthony WATMOUGH
15. Chris HEIGHINGTON
16. Anthony TUPOU
17. Kurt GIDLEY

I can't see them diverting too much from that from what I've seen in the past.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Anthony Quinn
3. Joel Monaghan
4. Matt Cooper
5. David Williams
6. Terry Campese/Trent Barrett
7. Peter Wallace/Matt Orford
8. Brent Kite
9. Michael Ennis or Isaac DeGios
10. Mark O'Meley
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Paul Gallen

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Luke O'Donnell
16. Luke Bailey
17.Willie Mason

Joker's Wild

Coach
1. Gidley
2. Hayne
3. Monaghan
4. Cooper
5. Stewart
6. Barrett
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Mason
12. Laffranchi
13. Gallen

14. Cross
15. Creagh
16. Perry
17. Hornby

Liam

Juniors
1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Monas
4. Cooper
5. Jennings
6. Barret
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Laffranchi
12. Stewart
13. Gallen

14. Wing
15. Perry
16. Mason
17. Heighnington

Now hopefully the Knights can get some wins during Origin.

Knightmare

Coach
1. Brett STEWART
2. Jarryd HAYNE
3. Michael MONAGHAN
4. Matt COOPER
5. David WILLIAMS
6. Jarrod MULLEN
7. Peter WALLACE

8. Luke BAILEY
9. Robbie FARAH
10. Brent KITE
11. Craig FITZGIBBON
12. Anthony LAAFRANCHI
13. Paul GALLEN

14. Anthony TUPOU
15. Kurt GIDLEY
16. Mark O'MELEY
17. TBA. This spot should be reserved for a gun player who really impresses in the NRL season up to Origin 1, and be rewarded with a Blues jersey for their efforts. Preferably someone who can play in the forwards.

perverse

Referee
1. Kurt Gidley
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Stewart or Joel Monaghan

6. Jarrod Mullen or Todd Carney
7. Peter Wallace

8. Willie Mason
9. Robbie Farah
10. Luke Bailey
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Paul Gallen
13. Greg Bird

14. Michael Ennis
15. Ben Cross
16. Corey Paterson (my smokey)
17. Ben Creagh

unless we sack the selectors i doubt any big changes will be made though.

it's revision time.

if mullen isn't ready for origin this year then i don't think he ever will be. he's been around the block a few times now and is finally starting to get his confidence back again. '09 will be his make or break season imo.

i can potentially see big things for the knights this year if we continue to improve as we have been the last 2 years. if mullen is a big part of that, which i hope he will be, then he could easily make the origin team in '09.

so... for my revised team - and reasons for each revision - i would have:

1. Stewart/Gidley - with my hint of bias i can't call this one. both offer very different things to a team... however gids looked great in game 3 last year and stewart is a fantastic footballer.
2. Hayne
3. Monaghan - "promoted" from wing to centre
4. Cooper
5. Stewart/Williams - if gids makes fullback then i'd have stewart on the wing and let him rove a la nathan blacklock. if stewart is fullback then williams slots straight in.
6. Mullen/Campese - no carney to be seen, if mullen steps up like i expect him to then there wont be much debate about this imo. well, who am i kidding... there will be plenty of debate... but i think he will be ready this time. if mullen doesn't step up this year, campese is the obvious choice.
7. Wallace - offers far more than pearce.
8. Kite - the back half of the season and the world cup changed many things.. especially in the forwards. Kite deserves a starting front row spot.
9. De Gois/Farah - here is where things get really complicated. De Gois is a smokey for me... i expect big things for him filling in buderus' shoes at the knights, and an injury to farah could easily see him in the squad. it may not even take an injury to farah if things go really well. he is a top shelf hooker.
10. Cross - he will be there because of the bellamy connection, i guarentee it. i also rate the bloke very highly. he can cop a flogging and will give you 100+ metres every game he plays. struggles with lateral movement a bit.
11. Laffranchi - bloke picks himself. top quality.
12. Watmough - rate the bloke.
13. Gallon - shifted from second row to lock in birdys absence. brings aggression to the team if nothing else.

14. Perry - what can i say, the bloke finally grew up. good on him.
15. Paterson - still my biggest smokey. this bloke is destined for bigger things
16. Bailey/Mason - both haven't offered much at origin level lately.. but i can't think of anyone else who can come into the front row that will get the job done.
17. Ennis/Farah - I would have ennis in the team if farah makes the starting hooker, and do away with gidley altogether. gidley is a fullback, and is a waste of a bench spot.

i know it's a bit tough to read.. and there's a lot of "if this" and "or that" however it is the pre-season... and i really can't improve on that much. i'm glad i'm not a selector at the moment.

Scottey

Juniors
1 - Kurt Gidley - Too good to be a bench-warmer.
2 - Jarred Hayne - Cant stand the bloke but you can't deny his talent.
3 - Joel Monoghan - Jarred Hayne in pasty ginger form, but he really stepped up last year.
4 - Matt Cooper - Seasoned campaigner. A definite.
5 - David Williams - I still can't figure out exaclty what it is about this guy, but he's fast and knows where his position is on the field (mind you, I reckon it was him getting in the way of Billy in WC final that made Slater veer towards the touchline.)
6 - Terry Campese - Suspect he could go off the boil in 09, but it would be sad of me to put Braith Anasta down.
7 - Mitchell Pearce - Because you just know the NSW selectors would do it.
8 - Brent Kite - Clive Churchill Medalist. Couldn't be denied surely.
9 - Robbie Farah - Wests supporters 'Robbie for Origin' campaign ends.
10 - Luke Bailey - Good guy, good player.
11 - Anthony Laffranchi - This guy does it all. Tackles. Metres. Tries. Bam, No.11.
12 - Glenn Stewart - Put it this way, he's not there for his good looks.
13 - Paul Gallen - Not a big fan of this guy either but he's a tackle horse. Does the job thats required, and has a low centre of gravity that allows him to drive low in the tackle to burst over the try-line.

14 - Brett Stewart - To go to fullback when Farah needs a rest and Gidley fills in at Hooker for a tad?
15 - Josh Perry - Either him or White, and lets face it, the Storm have to many Origin players.
16 - Willie Mason - Versatility. Prop or second row. Got a mongrel in him obviously, and provides experience to an otherwise young NSW side.
17 - Anthony Tupou - Not too sure about Watmough's defence. Besides, Tupou is one of the games best creative back rowers and provides good impact off the bench.

You think if Sutton plays some good football early on do you think he will have a relistic chance at an origin? He had some good moments in the City/Country match i thought at times, though he was way too inconsistant for mine.

perverse

Referee
Sutton would be an outside chance or sure i'd say if he keeps playing good footy. i rate the bloke. depends whether the selectors can see past gallon for lock imo.

Care to elaborate?

cause we suck remember? half the people on this forum tipped us for the spoon ,now there tipping farah for origin :roll:

and in the past 10 years we have never finished last yet our total number of origin players is 3
terry hill (dont remember what year it was)
Scott Prince (2006)
Brett Hodgson(2006)

JaY

Juniors
1. Brett Stewert
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. David Williams
6. Therry Campese
7. Matt Orford
8. Josh Perry
9. Robbie Farah
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthonyy Laffranchi
12. Glen Stewert
13. Paul Gallen

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Ben Cross

Dazzat

First Grade
1. Brett Stewert
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. David Williams
6. Therry Campese
7. Matt Orford
8. Josh Perry
9. Robbie Farah
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthonyy Laffranchi
12. Glen Stewert
13. Paul Gallen

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Ben Cross

Surely Luke Bailey and Brent Kite are the only Origin standard props in NSW currently.