What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Under 16's and 18's 2012

Tucantango

Juniors
And I did say usually,read first then critisize:crazy:

I know you said 'usually' therefore please tell me which year? Not in 2011, 2010, or 2009! Perhaps in 2008 but that does not constitute 'usually' I'm afraid. And yes there will always be debate, but some players have in recent years have just stood out like proverbial dogs balls and still could not get selected!

And yes NSW did win both games last year, but they were, and are always close games! Contrast this with the two ARL grand finals last year where the Dogs and Knights respectively smashed their Queensland counterparts. NSW never ever picks their best players at schools or club level.

To be honest I have only ever seen one representative team pick their best NSW side and that honour goes to the selectors of the NSWCCC U/18 team for the last 2-3 years. Given the small pool from which to draw their talent they can't afford, and dont, engage in the socio-political bullshit that all the others do!

Regards,
Tuc

isaiah

Bench
Possible 18s Team

1. Clinton Gutherson - Manly
2. Halauafu Lavaka - Penrith
3. Tyrone Phillips - Souths
4. Richard Kennar - Melbourne
5. Regan Haika - Manly
6. Mitchell Moses - Balmain
7. Christian Hazard - Souths/Alex Thomas - Roosters/Drew Hutchinson - Illawarra/Robbie Kamoto - Parra
8. Jake Trbojevic - Manly
9. Mania Cherrington - Balmain
10. Frazer Masinamua - Parra
11. Danny Fuaolo - Dogs
12. Kelepi Tanginoa - Parra
13. Bryce Cartwright - Penrith

14. Jake Lawrence - Newcastle
15. Pauli Pauli - Parra
16. Fabian Goodall - Manly
17. Salesi Funaki - Balmain

i remember during commentary of the 20's origin game, it being said that one of the big nsw fwds were still eligible for u18's?

magpie4ever

First Grade
I know you said 'usually' therefore please tell me which year? Not in 2011, 2010, or 2009! Perhaps in 2008 but that does not constitute 'usually' I'm afraid. And yes there will always be debate, but some players have in recent years have just stood out like proverbial dogs balls and still could not get selected!

And yes NSW did win both games last year, but they were, and are always close games! Contrast this with the two ARL grand finals last year where the Dogs and Knights respectively smashed their Queensland counterparts. NSW never ever picks their best players at schools or club level.

To be honest I have only ever seen one representative team pick their best NSW side and that honour goes to the selectors of the NSWCCC U/18 team for the last 2-3 years. Given the small pool from which to draw their talent they can't afford, and dont, engage in the socio-political bullshit that all the others do!

Regards,
Tuc

Hey M4E,

I reckon you are spot on, but I also have doubts about the capibilities of NSW selectors (and selectors , in general) and this is glaring in the SOO. NSW selectors continually, in my mind, select the athletic (might pull of one or two big plays per game) who they hope is a good footballer, where as, Qld select the good natural footballer who they know will give you 100% for the whole match.

A perfect example is Smith, Cronk (Thurston) and Slater who would be considered great footballers in any era. I can't think of someone in the NSW team of recent years who would fit into that category. I am sure they were there in Harold Matts and SG Ball, what happened to them?

Regards,

Last edited:

half_back

Juniors
HB,

I have noticed that your still sticking with Lavaka to make the team. I personally was a big fan of him making the team earlier in the season however he did not impress me very much in the three games I was able to see of him this year and I believe he may miss out!

I might note that at two of the games I did go and watch the NSWRL selectors were out in force!

Hey I could be wrong, and if their is a player who deserves a break in cracking it for a rep team it is Lavaka. He should have definitely been selected in the NSWCHS team for the ASSRL last year!

Your views mate?

Regards,
Tuc

Hey Tuc

Only seen Lavaka twice, early in the season and he dominated and against the dogs where he was ok. You have other thoughts for his position?

Cheers
HB

ranga

Juniors

Regards,
Tuc
and I believe they won the year before also ,you cant compare club sides to state sides . if that was the case why cant we win a state of origin ? as for school boy teams you are joking , they are the worst at picking the wrong ones ,they couldnt pick a nose ,to many no it all school teachers who have no idea

Panther_Daz

Staff member
NSW Under 18's contenders Bryce Cartwright and Chris Smith will play Toyota Cup for Penrith on Monday.

girvie

Staff member
I've had a look through the Under-18s grand final teams and will be interested to see who makes it from Balmain and Canberra. It looks like Qld will benefit from some of Canberra's squad.

I'm sure that Parramatta and Newcastle will have a few each in the Under-16s.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Saw Mata'utia play Round One v Penrith. Was out classed on the day by Robert Jennings but definitely possesses a lot of strength and speed. Will be the left centre for the 16's.

girvie

Staff member
The following players have been selected for the NSW Under 16’s Possible versus Probable’s fixture.

Selected players must assemble at Leichhardt Oval on Tuesday May 8 at 5.00pm for a 6.00pm kick-off.

Club - Players

Newcastle Knights: Sione Mata’Utia, Travis Edwards, Tyronne Amey, Tom Madden, Tevita Pangai, Jake McNamara
Manly Sea Eagles: Tom Trbojevic, Wade Hannell, Darcy Cox
Central Coast Centurions: Connor Watson, Mitch Connor, Callum Blinco
Penrith Panthers: Robert Jennings, Oliver Clarke, Soni Hala, Jamie Hill
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: Hakaraia Toi Toi
Canberra Raiders: Lachlan Crocker
St George Dragons: Matt Dufty, Jacob Host, Hame Sele, Isaac Thompson
Western Suburbs Magpies: Mark McCormack, Mason Cerruto
Balmain Tigers: Junior Tatola, Bayley Sironen
South Sydney Rabbitohs: Grant Garvey, Liam Coleman, Brock Gray, Paul Momirovski
Illawarra Steelers: Jackson Hastings, Jye Dunning
SWSAS: Mohammed Kabbout
CRL: Dave Sheriden, Nick Burns, Jerome Green, Beau Parry, Max Elliot

PLEASE NOTE: Parramatta Eels players under consideration will not participate as they have to play in the National Final next weekend in Brisbane following their victory in the Harold Matthews Cup Grand Final today.

The NSW Under 16 side set to face off against QLD at Etihad Stadium on May 23 will be announced next Saturday.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Surprised only 4 players from the Penrith HM squad were asked to play in the possible v probables match ; where as, 6 players were given the opportunity from Newcastle.

Tucantango

Juniors
Would the selectors have known of these injuries?

M4E,

Yes mate, they generally do! From my understanding NSWRL is in contact with the 'Recruitment Manager' of each club and let's the same know of their interest, one of the questions being is the boy injured (if so what is the prognosis etc etc).

Regards,
Tuc

magpie4ever

First Grade
M4E,

Yes mate, they generally do! From my understanding NSWRL is in contact with the 'Recruitment Manager' of each club and let's the same know of their interest, one of the questions being is the boy injured (if so what is the prognosis etc etc).

Regards,
Tuc

Hey Tuc,

Thanks for that.

I suppose, I can now give you an update on a certain Parramatta HM player, given the HM Cup competition is now over and it is highly unlikely you will see him at the U16s rugby union state titles.

As I may have previously mentioned he injured his lower back against Central Coast in round 7 on March 24 and was not able to play until somewhat passing a fitness test before the grand final.

I don't know whether you were at the game but he was given a 8-10 minute run at the back end of the match; and his back really did not stand up. He has been ruled out of the national title match against Souths-Logan in Brisbane this weekend.

He goes for scans this Friday, so unless there is a miracle of sorts I don't know whether he could be put forward for the MCS team in the CCC titles on May 21-22.

Anyway, hoping for the best (muscular) but fearing the worst (stress fracture).

Regards,

M4E

stretcher

Juniors
M4E,

Regards,
Tuc
And can somebody out there tell me how the swas hooker made the nsw trial over Cameron Collins hooker from panthers or the dragons and bulldogs hooker what a joke!!!

magpie4ever

First Grade
And can somebody out there tell me how the swas hooker made the nsw trial over Cameron Collins hooker from panthers or the dragons and bulldogs hooker what a joke!!!

Good question even with the players who are injured as mentioned by PD, I still believe there was enough quality in the Pennies for a higher representation in the probables v possibles match.