What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSWRL Junior Reps 2009

Pumba

First Grade
Storm’s SG Ball team creates history

Melbourne Storm’s SG Ball team created history in more ways than one tonight as the under-18 team defeated the highly fancied Newcastle Knights 18-14 in the team’s first ever competitive game.

Defeating such a highly credentialed team is one thing (Newcastle won both the SG Ball and Harold Matthews competitions in 2008), but what makes the win even better is that twelve of the squad have come through the Melbourne Storm Development Program from a young age, eight of which are Victorians.

The remaining five members of the squad were made up of members of the under-20’s team still young enough to play in the SG Ball team.

Playing in atrocious conditions in Charlestown, Newcastle, it was the forwards who dominated the game, with the captain Kenny Bromwich (a Victorian) leading the way with a superb best-on-ground performance.

The rain made it tough for any fluent football to be played, but the Storm made the most of the situation in the early exchanges, and by half-time had skipped away to a 14-6 lead.

In the second half the Knights came back at the Storm, and it was only a gutsy performance by everyone in the team that ensured a victory in their first ever outing in Storm colours.

Big front-rowers Junior Afu and Jordan McLaughlin were outstanding, while Lucas Grech, another local product, excelled at hooker.

Special mention must be made of a couple of 15-year-olds in the Storm team.

Melbourne boy Cameron Hansen scored a try in the first-half to get the Storm off to a flyer, while hooker Herschel Gideon came off the bench in the second-half to score a crucial, match-winning try.

The Storm plays their second SG Ball game on Saturday, February 21 at Princes Park in Melbourne from 3.00pm. The game will be a curtain-raiser to the Storm’s NRL trial game against the Newcastle Knights from 6.00pm.

http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=17442

isaiah

Bench
It was a great win for Norths in the SG Ball. Our forwards dominated the match.

Try scorers were De Vries 2, Egan, England, Maseuli, Valentino, Barnes. McGrady kicked 3 goals.

For Souths Lee Hang scored 2, Akauola plus one other.

Halftime score was 22-10.

In Harold Matthews, halftime score was 18-0. Norths got it back to 18-6 before Souths ran away with it.

Second rower Arnold Woulf was the clear standout, scoring three tries.

another egan playing for the bears!

isaiah

Bench
It was a great win for Norths in the SG Ball. Our forwards dominated the match.

Try scorers were De Vries 2, Egan, England, Maseuli, Valentino, Barnes. McGrady kicked 3 goals.

For Souths Lee Hang scored 2, Akauola plus one other.

Halftime score was 22-10.

In Harold Matthews, halftime score was 18-0. Norths got it back to 18-6 before Souths ran away with it.

Second rower Arnold Woulf was the clear standout, scoring three tries.

another egan playing for the bears!

rambo1

Juniors
It's a great result for Melbourne. It wasn't as if the Knights weren't in form. They beat Parramatta and Manly in trials recently. The Raiders will have to be at their best next week to repel the southern assault.

murraymob

Coach
harold mathews
penrith 38

j.tapuaiga 3, R.Reegan, T. Tuivesa, J.Antonelli,B.Heteric tries
R.Wilson 3,B.Heteric 2 goals

canberra 10
S Everit,J mitchell tries
C druit goal

S.G.Ball
Penrith 44
A.Beal 2, T.Wille 2, A Eisentruth, W.Noylan, S.Sene,B.Austin, tries
B.Austin 6 goals

Canberra 14
H.Hodge, S.Sauiluma,K Silero tries
C breust 1 goal

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
It's a great result for Melbourne. It wasn't as if the Knights weren't in form. They beat Parramatta and Manly in trials recently. The Raiders will have to be at their best next week to repel the southern assault.
I don't want to take anything away from Melbourne, because them being competitive with a good number of local kids is the best bit of news so far this season I think, but I only saw the Knights in one trial against Penrith and the top Penrith combination destroyed the Knights before they brought on the second stringers and made the scoreline respectable.
My impression was that they will be lucky to make the 8.

Old Faithful

Juniors
H/M Dogs 36 Roosters 8 (HT: 22-0) Roosters dug in better after a disastrous first half when lost ball in their own 20 cost at least 2 tries as well as an hefty penalty count. Dogs looked more than useful until they tired a bit in the dreadful conditions and moved the ball around well late in the tackle count after using some of their bigger blokes up the middle. Dogs 1, 6 and 13 were the standouts for me, though all their forwards looked strong and the centres gobbled up three easy tries whilst 4 and 9 probably best for the Roosters.

Rubber Toes

Juniors
So in Ball we have the top 8 after round 1 as:

1 Panthers
2 Sharks
3 Eels
4 Dragons
5 Titans
6 Bears
7 Sea Eagles
8 Melbourne

See unofficial ladder at http://www.ourfootyteam.com/09_sg_ball_cup.php

In Matthews it is:

1 Knights
2 Rabbitohs
3 Bulldogs
4 Panthers
5 Sharks
6 Magpies
7 Sea Eagles
8 Eels

See unofficial ladder at http://www.ourfootyteam.com/09_harold_matthews_cup.php

Is it final 8 play offs, or final 16 with 12 from NSW & 4 from QLD to stir an interesting pot?

henson park

Juniors
beware the newtown jets they hurt dogs yesterday and they have all the big teams to play. they seem to have a steel about them that is good
lets ee how they go against wests

Those ladders listed above are based on a for and against points differential. I always thought the Harold Matts and SG Ball used a % differential system. If so, those ladders are incorrect.

Can anyone clarify?

S.

Last edited:

Rubber Toes

Juniors
Thanks Fortae.
Does anyone know the proposed structure of the play offs ?
Previously it's been , 1 v 8, 2 v 7 , etc. How does 12 NSW v 4 QLD sides work ? Where do the QLD sides slot in ? Do they play NSW teams 1 - 4 or 9 - 12 or ------
I'm getting a head ache, someone please simplify.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Thanks Fortae.
Does anyone know the proposed structure of the play offs ?
Previously it's been , 1 v 8, 2 v 7 , etc. How does 12 NSW v 4 QLD sides work ? Where do the QLD sides slot in ? Do they play NSW teams 1 - 4 or 9 - 12 or ------
I'm getting a head ache, someone please simplify.

I believe that the Qld semi finals will occur during week 1 of the finals. The Qld Final will occur during week 2 of the finals and therefore The Qld winner will be one of the 4 semi finalists.