What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ - The Forgotten Frontier?

Brutus

Referee
Good to see the paper on the weekend run with the headline 'rugby yawnion'.

People have had enough of it.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Auckland will experience significant growth in population in the coming decades, which would give even more credence to the option of a second Auckland team based in North Harbour:

http://www.stats.govt.nz/reports/people/subnational-population-projections.aspx

http://www.bigcities.govt.nz/people.htm

Te Kaha, what do you think of a 2nd team somewhere other than Wellington, like North Harbour or the Waikato?

Auckland is far to sports apathetic for a second team to survive... Waikato is a possability its easily accesable for the outlying districts... but in order for League to grow in NZ it has to be either Wellington or Christchurch... a franchise will need the corporate support to survive.... plus it NEEDS to do well.. if it folds there wont be a second chance again... everything HAS to be perfect before it is launched to give it a chance to succeed... another failure could kill the game in that area.

BuffaloRules

Coach
And how long ago were the SFS/SCG built??? in most cases the grounds were there before the residents... in Wellingtons instance the ground is 10 odd years old... Athletic park was falling down, the NZRU was threatening to pull tests from wellington, they needed a stadium built, the ratepayers had to pay a massive chunk of that... with no professional soccer or League teams on the horizon it was an easy compromise to make... the NZC and WRU were happy with it... it worked. its only now there is a third professional team in place and a forth trying to get in that there are problems.

Adjoining Paddington and Surry Hills are amongst the oldest suburbs in Sydney, and would be older than the SCG, but the SCG has certainly been there for a long time... I would guess 130 years at least....

The SFS has only been there 20 years though...

Oh well... I see it as a loss for them ( Wellington), particularly if they would be kept out for the sake of the A-League team...

Te Kaha

First Grade
Adjoining Paddington and Surry Hills are amongst the oldest suburbs in Sydney, and would be older than the SCG, but the SCG has certainly been there for a long time... I would guess 130 years at least....

The SFS has only been there 20 years though...

Oh well... I see it as a loss for them ( Wellington), particularly if they would be kept out for the sake of the A-League team...

In the case of A-League it was first in first served... helped my a multi millionare Soccer fan... the NRL missed its chance... for now.

Brutus

Referee
Its Backwards to consider the impact of residents who are less then a few hundred metres from the stadium??? ... but then i spose a fan of the roosters wouldnt know much about consideration of others.... your team members certainly dont.

It doesn't seem to bother the residents of East Brisbane who are less than a few hundred metres from the Gabba.

But then again, the Gabba was there before most or all of residents so...

Last edited:

The Observer

Staff member
Cheers, Te Kaha. I guess the issue of corporate support might rule out regions like the Waikato, Taranaki or Hawke's Bay. Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, resource consent might rule out a Wellington franchise unless the Phoenix are removed from A-League. If that happened, would the Phoenix owners back an NRL team?

OTOH would the people of Canterbury support a team other than the Crusaders? Could Christchurch provide the corporate support to back an NRL franchise?

Brutus

Referee
thats a lie.. not unusual for you.. and totally irrelevant to where a 2nd NZ franchise should be.

Yeah sorry to take you off on a tangent

But for what it's worth, get yourself a copy of last weekend's Sunday Telegraph, the massive headline read on page 96 "Demise of rugby yawnion".

Te Kaha

First Grade
Cheers, Te Kaha. I guess the issue of corporate support might rule out regions like the Waikato, Taranaki or Hawke's Bay. Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, resource consent might rule out a Wellington franchise unless the Phoenix are removed from A-League. If that happened, would the Phoenix owners back an NRL team?
?

I doubt it... aside from being a dodgy f**ker ... nic the greek lives for his soccer... he supports the Phoenix at a substantial loss... i doubt he would do the same for a League team...

OTOH would the people of Canterbury support a team other than the Crusaders? Could Christchurch provide the corporate support to back an NRL franchise?
While the cantabs are a very rabid bunch of supporters, especially for there rugby teams, the west coast is a tradtional League stronghold and Canterbery has a strong local League comp, comparativly speaking... the corporate suport MAY be there... the warriors were lucky that Eric Watson wanted the team as a showcase for his Aussie businesses... that probably wouldnt apply in CHCH or Wellington, so either another benefactor like the mythical Belgium based english millionare is required or a LOT of bussiness support... until it is a real possoblity for a team to go ahead in either city noone really knows for sure.

Yeah sorry to take you off on a tangent

But for what it's worth, get yourself a copy of last weekend's Sunday Telegraph, the massive headline read on page 96 "Demise of rugby yawnion".
In Aussie??? which makes it even more irrelevant to the NZ situation... so your original post was nothing more than a troll post... well that figures.

Brutus

Referee
In Aussie??? which makes it even more irrelevant to the NZ situation... so your original post was nothing more than a troll post... well that figures.

Yeah definitely the wrong thread to come up with such a post, but at least you now know just how tough your game is doing it in Australia.

And from what I've read, many Kiwis are starting to question RU which rarely happens.

What a shame the Warriors didn't have a good year. Could have laid the perfect platform for a potential 2nd NZ franchise to start its campaigning.

The Observer

Staff member
I doubt it... aside from being a dodgy f**ker ... nic the greek lives for his soccer... he supports the Phoenix at a substantial loss... i doubt he would do the same for a League team...

It'd be unfair for the Phoenix to be kicked out of the A-League, and unrealistic to expect a benefactor to then jump and back another sport.

Te Kaha

First Grade
It'd be unfair for the Phoenix to be kicked out of the A-League, and unrealistic to expect a benefactor to then jump and back another sport.
SInce when does whats "fair" come into the politics of sport??? I would be surprised if it happened, given the money sky pays for the NZ rights... but stranger things have happened.

Goddo

Bench
Auckland is far to sports apathetic for a second team to survive... Waikato is a possability its easily accesable for the outlying districts... but in order for League to grow in NZ it has to be either Wellington or Christchurch... a franchise will need the corporate support to survive.... plus it NEEDS to do well.. if it folds there wont be a second chance again... everything HAS to be perfect before it is launched to give it a chance to succeed... another failure could kill the game in that area.

What does Te Kaha and Te Mana mean? I know the Kiwis have two ANZAC class warships with those names... just wondering

Te Kaha

First Grade
What does Te Kaha and Te Mana mean? I know the Kiwis have two ANZAC class warships with those names... just wondering

depends on the tribe... but basicly "The Strong" or "strength" and "The prestige" or "prestige" altough Mana means that and so much more.

Goddo

Bench
depends on the tribe... but basicly "The Strong" or "strength" and "The prestige" or "prestige" altough Mana means that and so much more.

Very cool names for a ship... if we get another NZ team, it really needs to have a strong connection to that culture and heritage... I'd like to see more connection to heritage, history and culture from current NRL teams.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Its Backwards to consider the impact of residents who are less then a few hundred metres from the stadium??? ... but then i spose a fan of the roosters wouldnt know much about consideration of others.... your team members certainly dont.

Because the location is central, its 5 mins walk from the railway station to your seats, 10 mins walk from the waterfront, 15 mins walk from the entertainment centre of the city... It makes attending the games that much easier... it doesnt really effect cricket or rugby, its main anchor tenants as they have the leases sealed for another 30 years... the location means that friday night games are within walking distance of the business district... its maded the WRU millions in extra gate takings.. THAT is why they built it there... the WRU / NZC didnt care about any future soccer or League teams... why should they?

THAT is a possiblity.. tho it does tend to annoy season ticket holders and negate somewhat home advantage... and increase operating costs.... but it is a possiblity.

That's incredibly backwards. Lang Park was almost totally rebuilt in 2001-2003, it is right next to a residential area and has no problems with using the lights.

ozbash

Referee
pretty sure that local govt in places like Brisbane would be streets ahead of most local authorities in NZ locky4.

Wellington is a pretty go-ahead place but the 'old school' values and principles apply.

there are some big stadiums planned (Bob "the builder" Clarkson) in the Bay of Plenty...

Te Kaha

First Grade
That's incredibly backwards. Lang Park was almost totally rebuilt in 2001-2003, it is right next to a residential area and has no problems with using the lights.

They moved lang park??? sh*t thats news to me... i thought they just built it on the same location... are you saying thats not true???? what a revelation... otherwise go back to sleep.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
They moved lang park??? sh*t thats news to me... i thought they just built it on the same location... are you saying thats not true???? what a revelation... otherwise go back to sleep.

They actually were going to build a new super stadium on the Ekka grounds, and they came pretty close to ditching Lang Park completely. However public outcry forced the government to redevelop Lang Park.

Because of the location they spent a lot of effort making sure that light and noise didn't disturb the local residents, as a result we can use the stadium pretty much whenever we want. Having usage restrictions on a major piece of infrastructure like a stadium is just ridiculous.