What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

off contract this year

i know ths is probably the last thing on everyones mind but i was wondering if we could put the names of players and there respected clubs whos contracts are up at the end of the year

Kaz

junior
Sorry I can't tell you if any Broncos are off contract.

I don't want the Knights contacting them. :D

Kaz

junior
So is that why the Knights secrectly tried to sign Carl Webb, when he was dropped from our 1st grade team & the Broncos said he could talk to other clubs

And Carl told the Knights he wasn't interested. :lol:

Swampdonkey

Juniors
Players from the Tigers that i know of....

Luke Covell
Michael Buettner
Darren Senter

I have also read on various forums that Kevin McGuiness and Mark Tookey are both currently available

keeney

First Grade
on that swamp donkey, why is covell languishing in PL, he looked a real talent last year, and a handy kicker?

Swampdonkey

Juniors
keeney said:
on that swamp donkey, why is covell languishing in PL, he looked a real talent last year, and a handy kicker?

This is probably one of the most commonly discussed topics on the Tigers forum.

To be honest, i am not sure. From all reports Covell has been having a good season in PL. The general consensus on the WT forum is that Robert Miles should be dropped in place of Covell.

Miles often looks like breaking the line, but rarely does. I don't dislike having him in the side, but out of our backline, he is definately the weakest link as he doesn't seem to offer as much as the other players in attack or defence.

The only reason i can come up with that Sheens is selecting Miles over Covell is his speed, Covell is not as fast as Miles. But on the other hand the rest of Covell's game appears better than Miles'.

I think Sheens wants a really fast backline.....bottom line is Sheens is in a better position to judge than us supporters and i am pretty happy with every thing else he is doing, so i can't argue with him.

form newcastle
micheal ennis
kurt gidley
andrew johns
ben kennedy
matt kennedy
clint newton
robbio davis
matt parsons
luke quigley
russel richarson
josh smith
timmana tahu
adam wolnough

Hurriflatch

Referee
Also off contract for Parra
Corey Pearson
Dean Widders
Wade McKinnon
Wise Kativerata
Lee Hopkins

Luke Burt was due to come off contract but along with Ashley Graham re-signed for 2 more years just before the 1st round this year

Swampdonkey

Juniors
The knights will want to make sure they hang on to Kurt Gidley.

I was laughed at on the Tigers forum for suggesting he will potentially play for the Kangaroos in either half or 5/8th in the near future, but i still maintain he will be one of the games next superstars......

On a whole the Knights have a stack of talent coming off contract there.

I hope i don't get shot down by Knights fans for saying this.....But, I will be interested to see if they re-sign Johns, with all this talk of him considering his future, plus his shocking run of injuries of late, plus he isn't getting any younger, he won't be able to command any where near the money he has been paid in the past at the Knights, especially if Kurt Gidley realises his potential in the Newcastle halves.....

Hurriflatch

Referee
It will be very very interesting to see how the Knights handle their contract situation this year with a few very big names coming off contract in B.Kennedy, Johns, Tahu, O'Davis and Parsons while players like K.Gidley, Ennis, Woolnough and Newton wouldn't have been on HUGE deals so they will need big upgrades on their contracts to stay.

any teams looking to sign either veteran leaders or next big things should keep a close eye on the Knights

If Im Newcastle....Im not re-signing Johns.

Its a hard decision....but its the smart decision.

The longer they hang onto him the harder it will be to rebuild when he is gone.

keeney

First Grade
Swampdonkey said:
keeney said:

This is probably one of the most commonly discussed topics on the Tigers forum.

To be honest, i am not sure. From all reports Covell has been having a good season in PL. The general consensus on the WT forum is that Robert Miles should be dropped in place of Covell.

Miles often looks like breaking the line, but rarely does. I don't dislike having him in the side, but out of our backline, he is definately the weakest link as he doesn't seem to offer as much as the other players in attack or defence.

The only reason i can come up with that Sheens is selecting Miles over Covell is his speed, Covell is not as fast as Miles. But on the other hand the rest of Covell's game appears better than Miles'.

I think Sheens wants a really fast backline.....bottom line is Sheens is in a better position to judge than us supporters and i am pretty happy with every thing else he is doing, so i can't argue with him.

hmmm just thought he'd at least be given a chance, and he si a better kicker than hodgson so....... i dno

innsaneink

Referee
next knights half said:
form newcastle
micheal ennis
kurt gidley
andrew johns
ben kennedy
matt kennedy
clint newton
robbio davis
matt parsons
luke quigley
russel richarson
josh smith
timmana tahu
adam wolnough

Hmmm ...Steve Noyce, if your reading....please take note.

keeney

First Grade
i really doubt we'll be letting him go, he'd be in the top 5 to resign easy, hes been our best prop this season by a fair way despite playing off the bench for a few games, other than tonight hes overshadowed both other props in defence and attack, perry did lift tonite tho

Swampdonkey

Juniors
keeney said:
hmmm just thought he'd at least be given a chance, and he si a better kicker than hodgson so....... i dno

I don't disagree with you, he is a better goalkicker and as a supporter you feel far more confident with him kicking than Hodgson, who is a good quality goal kicker in his own right, just not up to the standard of Covell.

I haven't seen Covell live this year, but i have heard that he is bulking up, so maybe we will see him back in first grade in the forwards, we will just have to wait and see????

Tommy Smith

Referee
nospam49 said:
If Im Newcastle....Im not re-signing Johns.

Its a hard decision....but its the smart decision.

The longer they hang onto him the harder it will be to rebuild when he is gone.
Forget rebuilding. What about trying to win a comp in the next couple of years. With Johns they are as good a chance as anyone.

They WILL sign Joey up for a couple of years and then if Joey wants to retire they can focus on rebuilding. But you don't just say to one of the greatest players of all-time "no, im sorry we dont want you for the next couple of years because we want to rebuild". In two years time they may not have to rebuild to the extent they would next year as Gidley could be a star by then, as could various other players.