What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off season recruits

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Payten will probably go to England at the end of 2011.

We have Fifita, Murdoch and Woods to develop and I believe Moors has re-signed until 2011.

But we would be mad not to go for Graham if he was available.
Moors resigned? Where did you hear that? Would surprise the hell out of me seeing he had a super first half of the season and then Sheens went for Skando over him and then for Masila over him in the later part of the season.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Moors resigned? Where did you hear that? Would surprise the hell out of me seeing he had a super first half of the season and then Sheens went for Skando over him and then for Masila over him in the later part of the season.

It's just a rumour on the official forum from someone who spoke to him, apparently.

Would surprise me too but great news if true. And it was till 2012, not 2011.

N.C.

Juniors
This is the message I'd like to send to our juniors:

"When you make the grade with Wests Tigers, you'll be playing alongside some of the best players in the world"...

Now, if that means you have to splash out from time to time, then so be it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Graham is definitely one of the best props in the world. He is still quite young, so he's still got plenty more to give and still has room for improvement, and thats the scariest part about this bloke.

I'm sure we have a few hangers-on that we don't need which we could dispose of. Problem we have though isn't about developing juniors, but resigning key players in our squad over the next 2 seasons.

We have some young guns on minimum contracts who will get massive upgrades (Lawrence especially) and these will most likely chew up our cap, preventing us to sign anyone at all really.

We should have gone after Pita Godinet (Auckland) or Josh Reynolds (Bulldogs) from the NSW Cup. Both are very good halves. Reynolds may get a contract with the Dogs next season, but I doubt Godinet will.

N.C.

Juniors
JAMES GRAHAM will leave St Helens at the end of next season.
The England prop's friendship with Sam Burgess and glowing reports of life Down Under have made him decide his future lies there.

Liverpool-born Graham, 25, a firm favourite with Saints fans, will now have a queue of NRL clubs chasing him. Russell Crowe's South Sydney side - who already have Burgess in their ranks - will obviously lead the pack but Graham, England's top front-rower, can name his price.

This guy is quality, souths might have Burgess but we have Ellis, surely this has been mentioned already. Obvious problem would be $$, I would assume he would be asking top dollar. Like Ellis and Burgess I have no doubt he will be a star in the NRL. This would give us a great prop rotation to match the likes of Canberra (they will have Brett White next year as well) plus be the only team with two fiery red heads as starting props!!

Where does this even come from?

R2Coupe

Juniors
This is the message I'd like to send to our juniors:

"When you make the grade with Wests Tigers, you'll be playing alongside some of the best players in the world"...

Now, if that means you have to splash out from time to time, then so be it.

You would think the Club's decision not to recruit established players this year is to accommodate the upgraded contracts of existing players.

With Lawrence now an international, we have another "best player". I'd suggest more are to come. Bred not bought.

Graham's contract is expiring and all this frenzy will increase his price tag.

As for halves, I believe the Club has signed one of the best young ones going.

Magpies_74

Juniors
The more I think about it the more we absolutely need Graham. We've got our most solid front row rotation since inception but it still lacks punch.

Galloway hasn't developed as well as expected.
Gibbs is just a defensive prop with lack of impact in offence.
Payton is the same as Gibbs and a link man in attack but no go forward.
Fifita is far from proven and really disappointing at times.
Moors was going to be better than the lot but Sheens has his reasons.
There is no front row leader we need.

And...Sheens promised one international player each year....
Ellis...Tuquri...+2011

Do you actually watch Games. :sarcasm:

Gibbs ave near 100m per game and 8.75m per hit up in 22 games at Prop ave 53mins. What are Sheens reasons for Jnr? The forwards won us the majority of games this year. Farh said it best at the GF Luncheon. Without Galloway Gibbs Heighno Payten and Gaz we Farah/Benji would be useless.

N.C.

Juniors
You would think the Club's decision not to recruit established players this year is to accommodate the upgraded contracts of existing players.

With Lawrence now an international, we have another "best player". I'd suggest more are to come. Bred not bought.

Graham's contract is expiring and all this frenzy will increase his price tag.

As for halves, I believe the Club has signed one of the best young ones going.

Fair point and I agree with it.

I'm not saying "... therefore we should recruit this other Pom" because, frankly, I don't know anything about him... What I'm saying is that buying great players from time to time can help with junior (and even senior) development - as long as you take a fairly considered approach to it.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Do you actually watch Games. :sarcasm:

Gibbs ave near 100m per game and 8.75m per hit up in 22 games at Prop ave 53mins. What are Sheens reasons for Jnr? The forwards won us the majority of games this year. Farh said it best at the GF Luncheon. Without Galloway Gibbs Heighno Payten and Gaz we Farah/Benji would be useless.

Nothing great about nearly 100m on an average of 8.5m. Pretty stock standard stuff and I'd expect no less from a first grade footballer. He can't penetrate with the ball though and can't put the opposition on the back foot either and never is a handful to tackle. Granted, he does get quick play the balls. If I was playing firsts I certainly wouldn't fear him if I was standing in the defensive line one on one.

Best defensive prop in the game but below par in offense regardless of average numbers you want to throw up.

The more I think about it the more we absolutely need Graham. We've got our most solid front row rotation since inception but it still lacks punch.

Galloway hasn't developed as well as expected.
Gibbs is just a defensive prop with lack of impact in offence.
Payton is the same as Gibbs and a link man in attack but no go forward.
Fifita is far from proven and really disappointing at times.
Moors was going to be better than the lot but Sheens has his reasons.
There is no front row leader we need.

And...Sheens promised one international player each year....
Ellis...Tuquri...+2011
Agree with everything you have said here.Lets not forget 2006-2009 we didnt even make the 8.It has been stated on this forum more than once we have over achieved this year, this i also agree with.

Up until the Penrith game we were lucky with a lot of our victories,our concern now is 2011.Graham is a quality front rower who will give our forward pack the aggression & mongrel it desperatley needs.

If one or two youngsters have to miss out so be it.Every other club does it.To continue to be a success you have to go for the best when they are
availabe.

macnaz

Staff member
If Souths have proven anything it is that a great pack of forwards can make a useless halves combination seem like a great one. Imagine what they could do with Marshall and Farah and whoever they want to throw in the 7

It also shows the cnts spent a sh*tload of money and stay under the cap :shock:

Magpies_74

Juniors
Nothing great about nearly 100m on an average of 8.5m. Pretty stock standard stuff and I'd expect no less from a first grade footballer. He can't penetrate with the ball though and can't put the opposition on the back foot either and never is a handful to tackle. Granted, he does get quick play the balls. If I was playing firsts I certainly wouldn't fear him if I was standing in the defensive line one on one.

Best defensive prop in the game but below par in offense regardless of average numbers you want to throw up.

Just as I thought you don't watch. Out of curiosity what would constitute good numbers. Gibbs is ahead of All the the Grand final props considerably. Attack and defense.

westie

Bench
Not signing Graham because of some random reserve grade prop is like not signing Johns because of Lazurus. The only reason we shouldn't get him, is because we can't afford him. As it is, we have two northerners who will wax lyrical about the club, which should give us some collateral.

On Galea... He is, IMO, the biggest disaster in our clubs' history. He's the best Aussie second rower we've had, second only, all up, to Ellis, who has always been absolutely first class.

Galea should have been the longest serving captain we'd ever hope to have, and a NSW and Aussie second rower. He had the support and backing of most of the playing personnel when here. He was tougher than the rest of our second rowers at the time, and more skilful than any halfback since Prince. As it is, he's languishing at f**king HKR, admittedly playing pretty bloody good footy.

IMO he was a bigger loss than Boof and O'Donnell (who both went on to the top of rep footy) and Manu (who has done equally well, despite not being eligible for NSW or Roos).

Anyway... Get Galea back, and try to sign Graham. And a halfback.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Manu's only problem was his attitude.

Galea was very good but not sure I'd want him back now since he's at the end of his career.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Just as I thought you don't watch. Out of curiosity what would constitute good numbers. Gibbs is ahead of All the the Grand final props considerably. Attack and defense.
As I said, his numbers are solid but there's a lot more to a league than stats. You think Gibbs is better than Weyman because of statistics?
I know which one I'd take in a heartbeat.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
Not signing Graham because of some random reserve grade prop is like not signing Johns because of Lazurus. The only reason we shouldn't get him, is because we can't afford him. As it is, we have two northerners who will wax lyrical about the club, which should give us some collateral.

On Galea... He is, IMO, the biggest disaster in our clubs' history. He's the best Aussie second rower we've had, second only, all up, to Ellis, who has always been absolutely first class.

Galea should have been the longest serving captain we'd ever hope to have, and a NSW and Aussie second rower. He had the support and backing of most of the playing personnel when here. He was tougher than the rest of our second rowers at the time, and more skilful than any halfback since Prince. As it is, he's languishing at f**king HKR, admittedly playing pretty bloody good footy.

IMO he was a bigger loss than Boof and O'Donnell (who both went on to the top of rep footy) and Manu (who has done equally well, despite not being eligible for NSW or Roos).

Benny G was my favourite Tiger of all time. But bring him back at 32? Gee, he'd be down the pecking order behind Heigno, Fulton, Ellis and Dwyer and on minimal wage. They did it for Fitzy....why not Benny G? Pretty solid depth signing at the right price IF he's still playing good footy in the UK.

Magpies_74

Juniors
As I said, his numbers are solid but there's a lot more to a league than stats. You think Gibbs is better than Weyman because of statistics?
I know which one I'd take in a heartbeat.

No not cause of stats. Gibbs over Weyman anyday. Big tub of goo who is good for 10 hit ups a game. Lift the bar. Made 1 big run against Manly big woop. Shame he got that glancing blow in the GF. Could have one the Clive Churchill the way he was going.

In the next breath you say bring back Galea for the right price. I liked him too. but seriously.

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors

With due respect, a junior of Woods' calibre is not some "random reserve grade prop". I believe he has represented in every junior under age team commencing with Aust under 15s. Sheens certainly mentioned him with Dwyer as a player to watch. Injury prevented progress this year.

Last edited:

Bench
Get Galea back,LMFAO,hell we are still trying to rid ourselves of Fitzy,we don't need his look alike,we have plenty more better options than him.