What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL NSW side

anjado

Juniors
Brett Stewart - Good choice i was worried they would pick Minichello over him, Steward has deserved to be NSW fullback for a long time now.

Jarryd Hayne - NSW most talented player has to be picked in the side somewhere has made a huge impact on the wing in Origin in the past.

Michael Jennings - Ignore the Penrith stuff the club is in a massive rut. Jennings in my opinion has been out best player this year so claiming he was dropped because of form is absolutely laughable when the likes of Danny Galea are playing every week. He will be great in Origin as he usually is.

Josh Morris - Morris has been in great form and deserves selection over Lawrence based on form hopefully he can carry it into Origin level.

Akuila Uate - Best Winger in the game an obvious selection.

Todd Carney - Could be the X-Factor if NSW are to win this Origin series it will nearly all be down to him,he is the only NSW half that has the talent of his Queensland counterparts.

Mitchell Pearce - He seems to be playing better this season performed well with Carney in the past and there is a huge lack of talent in the halfback pool so i guess we have to go with him.

Paul Gallen - Best forward in the game obvious selection.

Robbie Farah - Most talented and best hooker in NSW by a mile he should be given this series to see what he can do, he is one player who shouldn't be dropped barring an absolute horrible performance. All this talk about origin players is the biggest load of shit in NSW Rugby League and has severely hampered NSW efforts of being competitive in these past 7 series.

James Tamou - I like Tamou as a player he has always impressed me, whether he is up to Origin level remains a mystery he could just be a good club player. But he was always going to be picked after being selected by Australia.

Luke Lewis - As a Penrith fan i think Lewis form this season has been worse than Jennings, but over the past 3 seasons he has been probably one of the best players in the game in terms of consistency and deserves a reprieve since he made a big impact in the game NSW won last year.

Greg Bird - Greg Bird generally performs well in state of origin he has been massively overhyped in the media though with the whole next Wally Lewis thing. He is actually a surprise selection for me i thought with Lewis and Stewart we would have enough ball playing back rowers. I am sure Bird wont let NSW down though he tends to play well in Origin.

Glenn Stewart - Deserves selection he improves the Manly side so much and has a great combination with his brother and is one of the best forwards and most creative forwards in the game.

Jamie Buhrer - I like Buhrer as a player but in no way should he be selected for Origin it would be the equivalent of NSW picking Shane Rodney in 2004. He is a good club player but he was poor in the city country and it actually looked a level beyond him. It's a classic Fulton sneaks a Manly player in the squad that no one would of thought of picking in a million years. He should of gone when Daley went. He is no way independant and if you want to pick a utility on the bench Reynolds,Maloney,Hinchcliffe and others probably would of been a smarter choice.

Ben Creagh - Average Ben Creagh Origin performance plays 45 minutes has 4 hit ups for 30 metres. He should never be picked for Origin he is far too soft he has had at least 3 series now for NSW he hasn't improved and really provides nothing that anyone else in the NRL could provide at that level and i mean anyone. They needed to pick another front rower in either Creagh or Buhrer's spot.

Tony Williams - Damaging ball runner was on fire before his selection having his first game back in Origin though is a bit of a mystery i thought they would wait till the 2nd game. With Williams providing the hard runs on the fringes he completely negates Creagh's selection.

Trent Merrin - Not a huge fan but he is young but needs to show improvement this season in Origin i was pretty underwhelmed last season. NSW have many good props so picking a guy who doesn't start for a team who have a reputation for being dominated up the middle by bigger forward packs isn't a glowing endorsement.

All in all i think the starting line up is as good as it is going to get. At least there are no gimmicks like the Inglis stopper bullshit or forwards in at five eighth. The bench needs another front rower and maybe 2 forwards i don't even think we need a utility to be honest. Williams,Lewis,Bird could all play in the backs Hayne can play anywhere. Give Farah 80 minutes and see what he can do.

For me i would change

Sims for Creagh
Mannah/Grant/Tolman/Learoyd Lahrs/Woods for Buhrer

This side at least looks capable of being able to score more than 20 points which is what NSW has been lacking for years now. For years they thought they could beat Queensland 8-6 in a dour contest but there front rowers generally walk all over ours. If NSW can pick some more firepower in the forwards which i believe NSW has especially in the front row to at least try and match Queensland up the middle than NSW might be able to win 2 games this year and thus the series.

If they picked a bigger more aggressive bench i think this might be NSW best chance for years at least they are getting the starting line up 90% correct.

hack1

how do folks know how Stuart is going to start the team? he named a squad, not a starting team and a bench.

anyway, if T.Sims was a Queenslander, he would go close to being picked in their squad............and that's even considering the awesome 8 forwards (not including Smith) that they'll probably go with this year.

That just tells you the mentality of the two state leagues, how they approach this game, and why one of them is on a 6 series win streak.

We all know Williams has the goods, but f**k me, it's not as though there isn't a bloke here in Sims who won't give similar sort of impact. One is actually on the footy field playing lights out each week, the other has been doing running drills up at Narrabeen for the last 6 weeks. Pick Sims, let Williams get a run or two for Manly prior to Game 2 and then make the call.

Watmough for Creagh, and Hinchcliffe for buhrer are the other changes. If Watmough will be ready for the game, then Ricky should have gone with him.

Vic Mackey

Referee
im actually happy to play merrin, has been great for saints and doesnt have a lot of mistakes in him. wasnt great last year but he wasnt ready, will be better for it this year. plus we know ricky will probably only use him for 15-20 mins anyway.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Brett Stewart - Good choice i was worried they would pick Minichello over him, Steward has deserved to be NSW fullback for a long time now.

Jarryd Hayne - NSW most talented player has to be picked in the side somewhere has made a huge impact on the wing in Origin in the past.

Michael Jennings - Ignore the Penrith stuff the club is in a massive rut. Jennings in my opinion has been out best player this year so claiming he was dropped because of form is absolutely laughable when the likes of Danny Galea are playing every week. He will be great in Origin as he usually is.

Josh Morris - Morris has been in great form and deserves selection over Lawrence based on form hopefully he can carry it into Origin level.

Todd Carney - Could be the X-Factor if NSW are to win this Origin series it will nearly all be down to him,he is the only NSW half that has the talent of his Queensland counterparts.

Mitchell Pearce - He seems to be playing better this season performed well with Carney in the past and there is a huge lack of talent in the halfback pool so i guess we have to go with him.

Robbie Farah - Most talented and best hooker in NSW by a mile he should be given this series to see what he can do, he is one player who shouldn't be dropped barring an absolute horrible performance. All this talk about origin players is the biggest load of shit in NSW Rugby League and has severely hampered NSW efforts of being competitive in these past 7 series.

James Tamou - I like Tamou as a player he has always impressed me, whether he is up to Origin level remains a mystery he could just be a good club player. But he was always going to be picked after being selected by Australia.

Luke Lewis - As a Penrith fan i think Lewis form this season has been worse than Jennings, but over the past 3 seasons he has been probably one of the best players in the game in terms of consistency and deserves a reprieve since he made a big impact in the game NSW won last year.

Greg Bird - Greg Bird generally performs well in state of origin he has been massively overhyped in the media though with the whole next Wally Lewis thing. He is actually a surprise selection for me i thought with Lewis and Stewart we would have enough ball playing back rowers. I am sure Bird wont let NSW down though he tends to play well in Origin.

Glenn Stewart - Deserves selection he improves the Manly side so much and has a great combination with his brother and is one of the best forwards and most creative forwards in the game.

Jamie Buhrer - I like Buhrer as a player but in no way should he be selected for Origin it would be the equivalent of NSW picking Shane Rodney in 2004. He is a good club player but he was poor in the city country and it actually looked a level beyond him. It's a classic Fulton sneaks a Manly player in the squad that no one would of thought of picking in a million years. He should of gone when Daley went. He is no way independant and if you want to pick a utility on the bench Reynolds,Maloney,Hinchcliffe and others probably would of been a smarter choice.

Ben Creagh - Average Ben Creagh Origin performance plays 45 minutes has 4 hit ups for 30 metres. He should never be picked for Origin he is far too soft he has had at least 3 series now for NSW he hasn't improved and really provides nothing that anyone else in the NRL could provide at that level and i mean anyone. They needed to pick another front rower in either Creagh or Buhrer's spot.

Tony Williams - Damaging ball runner was on fire before his selection having his first game back in Origin though is a bit of a mystery i thought they would wait till the 2nd game. With Williams providing the hard runs on the fringes he completely negates Creagh's selection.

Trent Merrin - Not a huge fan but he is young but needs to show improvement this season in Origin i was pretty underwhelmed last season. NSW have many good props so picking a guy who doesn't start for a team who have a reputation for being dominated up the middle by bigger forward packs isn't a glowing endorsement.

All in all i think the starting line up is as good as it is going to get. At least there are no gimmicks like the Inglis stopper bullshit or forwards in at five eighth. The bench needs another front rower and maybe 2 forwards i don't even think we need a utility to be honest. Williams,Lewis,Bird could all play in the backs Hayne can play anywhere. Give Farah 80 minutes and see what he can do.

For me i would change

Sims for Creagh

This side at least looks capable of being able to score more than 20 points which is what NSW has been lacking for years now. For years they thought they could beat Queensland 8-6 in a dour contest but there front rowers generally walk all over ours. If NSW can pick some more firepower in the forwards which i believe NSW has especially in the front row to at least try and match Queensland up the middle than NSW might be able to win 2 games this year and thus the series.

If they picked a bigger more aggressive bench i think this might be NSW best chance for years at least they are getting the starting line up 90% correct.

100% correct

Both Sims and Williams wouldve been great off the bench as impact players.

Creagh is useless how he even got picked ahead of Sims has got me beat.

As for another prop I wouldve picked Weyman or Woods.

You need mobile forwards that can hit the line and threaten the Queensland defense.

I dont mind Buhrer as a player at club level but it will be interesting to see how he would handle Origin.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Stuart has stated that he didn't want to choose a defensive team. He wanted to choose an attacking team. Stuart is gambling that the tactic will pay off. Since it is a 50/50 gamble (win or lose), he has just as much chance of being correct as he has of being wrong. No team is 100% certain of winning or losing.

Now having said that, there are teams that inspire confidence that the probability will go your way and there are teams that require greater hope or faith that decisions/chance or peak form, as opposed to recurrent random form f**k ups become the deciding factor. When selection coincides with a win the coach is a genius. When decisions/chance and peak form don't coincide with that one game, the coach is a moron.

One single win is not enough form to establish whether the coach can categorically be labelled a moron. Selection over four games (one yet to be played) may be a truer guide to grade the coach (who gets the last word in selections in this case). It would appear that many NSW supporters are glad that Ennis and Gidley will not appear this year. Gidley was labelled both last year and this year as a certainty by Stuart, yet many fans breathe a sigh of relief that he won't be there. Stuart was so certain of both of them last year, that they managed to keep their spots for the entire three games. Nor was anyone questioning his selections after Game 2. It was only after Game 3 that many NSW fans soured in their opinion of them. I feel that it is a mistake to ascribe peak form to be regular form.

Some of the NSW players who aided with the win in Game 2 last year played the Origin game of their lives. They played with the type of form that they have not been able to sustain on a regular basis at Origin level. Stuart was enamoured with some of them before Game 1 and he persisted with them for the entire 2011 series. Their form wasn't consistent over the three games. Their form in Game 2 was not consistent with their longer term Origin form. I refuse to nominate who I am talking about. I am bringing into the discussion the difference between long term form and peak form. It may well be that at Origin level, to be a player who wavers between ordinary form and peak form is a distinct gamble which changes the odds from 50/50 to something that is way more akin to being off track.

Like I said, if peak form and a host of other factors goes the way of the team, the coach is a genius. If on the other hand the team displays Game 3 2011, well is the coach still a genius?

:lol:

And he brings home the bacon again. A whole lot of waffle to make himself look sagely, but wisely never naming names so there's no possibility of ending up with egg on his face.

Spot On

Coach

For me i would change

Sims for Creagh

:clap:

Brilliant. Couldn't agree more although I'm not a Jennings fan. Hope to be after the series.

Charlie124

First Grade
Im sure QLD will be fearful of the three stooges,Trent Merrin,Ben Creagh and Jamie Buhrer :sarcasm:

Trent merrin isn't toooo bad of a pick, but obviously none of these players are the kinds of players that qld will fear. Creagh and buhrer are hilarious selections, and I had a good chuckle at Wobby getting another chance to provide some lol's.

All in all, as a qlder, im more than happy with this squad

Moffo

Referee
The only way we win is to bash their forwards. But no, we pick a small, ball playing forward pack

f**k in hell

The QLD back line is scary. Wow

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I don't know why people are complaining about Jennings and Hayne, honestly.

IMO Jennings' form for Penrith has been far from terrible. I think it's a load crap he's been dropped for poor form, it has to be an off field/attitude issue. In any case, wasn't he playing like a dud last year for Penrith and was then excellent when picked for NSW? We need to score points and I think he should be there.

Same with Hayne. Proven Origin player, probably the best NSW player in the past few years besides Gallen and people want him excluded? For who? Brett Morris. f**king please!!

The only real poor selections are Creagh and Buhrer. Watmough over Creagh and either Sims or another prop instead of Buhrer and it is a good looking side. IMO we don't need a utility.

effnic

Bench
Geez. People can never be happy and honestly not sook or complain? FFS stop the whining and get behind your bloody state. No wonder the QLD fans laugh at us. Look at you all crying. That's the team picked and that's that. Now it's our job to get behind them. It's a much better side then last year and the spine is the best we've had in years. Stop the complaining and put your faith and support behind them. Show some passion.

This.

Some people on here have there whinge boots on before the team is even named. Stop your bitching you all have zero nrl game experience combined so who really gives a f**k what you think and who you would of picked.

Loudstrat

Coach
Farah will get steam rolled and go AWOL again. Dud at this level

Too many out of form players

How many serious props do we have? ffs this is a joke

The lack of size in our forwards is going to kill us

f**king sticky

The only way we win is to bash their forwards. But no, we pick a small, ball playing forward pack

f**k in hell

The QLD back line is scary. Wow

:D:D:D Three nil Blues cleansweep holding Queensland tryless - Farah to win Man of the series. Onya Moffo! You are heaps more reliable that that f*cking stupid German octopus!!!!!!!!

Great backline. Stewart only lost the test gig to Slater through injury. Hayne has been the Blues best for the last 5 years - plus 5 try assists today. Jennings also has paid his dues - on his day he's unstoppable.

I also wonder at the lack of another prop, yet I'll bow to the Dragons fans knowledge on Merrin. Seriously, the other NSW props are all playing for the cellar dwellers, apart from that fat fish and chip cook from Canterbury.

Watmong is injured, so stop whinging about Creagh.

Simms in CvC gave away too many silly penalties - he'd be cannon fodder for the more experienced QLD pack at this stage.

For the first time in years we have a positive side without having to put up with a Kidley type selection and an L plate half. No acne patient drinking the coaches sperm. Pearce and Carney are both in great form - and last time together were only a Brian Smith and a touchline away from a premiership.

Better still, there is class and experience waiting in the wings to cover injury.

As much as Queensland's centres are awesome, who the f*ck will their wingers be? The angry spongebob? Good old tear duct? FFS Ashley Graham is being mentioned!!!!!! Jharal will be missed.

Thurston feeding Inglis and Hodges scares me. But our outside backs are the best we have on the paddock for a long long time.

3/4 of the QLD spine got owned by a Gallonless Cronulla today.

Dragon2010

First Grade
This.

Some people on here have there whinge boots on before the team is even named. Stop your bitching you all have zero nrl game experience combined so who really gives a f**k what you think and who you would of picked.

Exactly. Even if they named the ideal team then other people would whinge. So it's never ending.

Hayne? Out of form? No. Simple as a bad attitude at Parra reflected by a poor club attitude. He's has good stats but has been a bit lazy. But you would to in a team of nuffy. The guy always stands up come Origin levels and throughout his origin career has had a hand in some great origin tries and a few of his own. What's the problem? Yeah let's pick BMoz...No discredit to BMoz he's an exceptional club player but he could never take it to the next level in the rep arena.

Jennings? He was one of our best on field in GameI last year. Each time he touched the ball he looked deadly. With a better winger outside of him both with serious speed they will cause headaches. Yeah okay he's attitude has been a but iffy but Penrith is in the same boat as Parra. Guy has been their best performer this year next to Lewis so his "Out of Form" is pure bullshit.

Creagh? Fair enough I'd rather Watmough to. Creagh has never offered much. Watmough brings allot more. But he's injured apparently so that's that done.

Buhrer? It's a tough question. He's better then Gidley as a utility but I haven't watched every game of his so I wont comment. I'll leave it to the Manly fans. I did question it at first but he might put on a blinder. I know the guy is a workhorse and will give his heart-out for it.

I think the only decisions I disagree with is Creagh/Watmough and no Sims. Again we can't accommodate every player though.

I'd go on and elaborate more on my thoughts but it's to much typing.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Can i ask this, people who are banging on about Watmough not being picked, you do realise he is injured???

Dragon2010

First Grade
Also, The spine is one of the best we have seriously had in years.
1) Stewart
6) Carney
7) Pearce
9) Farah

That's seriously a potent spine that brings allot of flair, attack, guidance and other benefits. I think it's great Carney is in form, Pearce has improved and Ennis is gone. Hopefully Farah puts in a blinder and keeps Bedsy and Ennis away for many years till Rein or someone else is ready.

The FR is incredibly strong to. Same as the BR. It brings some ball-players, the workhorses, the Playmakers and more into one to build a hell of a team.

Latest posts