What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official team v Manly - oh my god

Scott

Bench
It was poor bench rotation again last week where Sam got the dying 8 or so minutes when we were pretty much cooked. Any newbie should at least be given a short first half stint followed by another early in the second.

Have you forgotten that Sam Lousi had already played 80 minutes for the Vulcans??

hitman82

Bench
It was poor bench rotation again last week where Sam got the dying 8 or so minutes when we were pretty much cooked. Any newbie should at least be given a short first half stint followed by another early in the second.

Agreed. But I believe it was due to the fact he'd already played for the Vulcans earlier in the way. Which seems ridiculous - what's the point in having an 18th man if you're not going to keep him fresh for the main game?

vvvrulz

Coach
Have you forgotten that Sam Lousi had already played 80 minutes for the Vulcans??

Didn't know that, but as Hitman said why pick a guy who won't be able to give you meaningful game time in the first place? If not poor interchanging then poor selection.

hitman82

Bench
Yeah I question the 18th man process. It seems insane that your only back-up forward has already played a full game in reserve grade! And it was a pity for us... we could have used more than 8 minutes of fatigued play from such a promising rookie... not to mention the extra rest we could have given our forwards, and the fact we could have played Brown for less minutes too ;-)

jaseg

Juniors
Uh wasn't Sam Lousi essentially the 19th man? Omar was 18th until game day, right?

Still, I see what you're saying - as soon as they knew Manu was out and Omar was in they should have set another player aside from playing with the Vulcans or 20s and given them the 18th man role.

TheDMC

Bench
So what's the consensus having this game in Perth, does it favour us or Manly? Or neither? Surely having Manly travelling 7000km must be better for us than playing them at the Brook...

Aragorn

First Grade
Look at the match ups this weekend

Halves - Foran & Evans vs Johnson & Maloney;
Centers - Matai & Lyons vs Hurrell & Lewise,
Full back - Brett Stewart vs Locke,
Forwards-Stewart, Kite, Waltmough, T-Rex vs Packer, Matulino, Henry, Taylor & Mateo....

They beat us in 80 min football easily...

vvvrulz

Coach
The real problem there is the battle between the centres and the back row, which favour Manly. Apart from that we're fairly evenly matched on paper, but not sure how low our confidence is and whether we are able to perform to our abilities.

Aragorn

First Grade
The real problem there is the battle between the centres and the back row, which favour Manly. Apart from that we're fairly evenly matched on paper, but not sure how low our confidence is and whether we are able to perform to our abilities.

wow, we must be reading different papers...

tangalife

Juniors
well he is right, he said other than centres and back row (assuming we're still counting out wingers) you got:

halves: foran and DCE better but still pretty even.
fullback: pretty even, although locke seems hesistant on getting involved on attack
front row - even maybe ours better

Aragorn

First Grade
well he is right, he said other than centres and back row (assuming we're still counting out wingers) you got:

halves: foran and DCE better but still pretty even.
fullback: pretty even, although locke seems hesistant on getting involved on attack
front row - even maybe ours better

I guess we agree to disagree.

I see Foran and Evans far more consistent and superior than Maloney and Johnson. Johnson has sparks of magic but he's not ruthless and isnt involved for a full 80min even though hes on the field.

I rate Stewart way above Locke. Locke is solid, but he also has the ability to do mind numblingly stupid things which you dont expect from a FB... blame it on youth...

Skram

Juniors
I guess we agree to disagree.

I see Foran and Evans far more consistent and superior than Maloney and Johnson. Johnson has sparks of magic but he's not ruthless and isnt involved for a full 80min even though hes on the field.

I rate Stewart way above Locke. Locke is solid, but he also has the ability to do mind numblingly stupid things which you dont expect from a FB... blame it on youth...

Really? I get your point on the halves but I think Locke is about on par with Stewart, though with different strengths and with the age factor thrown in. What are these 'mind numbingly stupid things you don't expect from a fullback'??

jamaman

Juniors
Really? I get your point on the halves but I think Locke is about on par with Stewart, though with different strengths and with the age factor thrown in. What are these 'mind numbingly stupid things you don't expect from a fullback'??

yeah sounds interesting!..

Aragorn

First Grade

He has a fond attaction to the side-lines - especially on the first tackle.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Stewart is a freak, imo Locke isn't even close at the moment all round

But I am not sure he will be playing this weekend anyway

Aragorn

First Grade
Didnt he repeat against the bull dogs earlier this year? hasnt had enough game time to repeat more of it...

vvvrulz

Coach
Didnt he repeat against the bull dogs earlier this year? hasnt had enough game time to repeat more of it...

Don't remember tbh, wasn't a game worth remembering now was it :lol: Generally though Locke is pretty safe at the back and has very few brain explosions. At full fitness I'd say he's right up there with Brett Stewart.

Aragorn

First Grade
Don't remember tbh, wasn't a game worth remembering now was it :lol: Generally though Locke is pretty safe at the back and has very few brain explosions. At full fitness I'd say he's right up there with Brett Stewart.

in a couple of years, yes - right now - absolutely not.