What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies 2011 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
thanks Ian...

I was told that Rip Taylor was extremely dissapointed with the state cup boys yesterday, i wonder if he's tempted to throw a lifeline at big Karl to make his debut against the Bears next sunday.

TheRam

Coach
I hope so Stagger. I really hope this kid turns out well for us and eventually warrants selection in our NRL team. We really need a good big strong centre who can bust the line and take a leadership roll out wide to stabilize the backline in defense.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
thanks Ian...

I was told that Rip Taylor was extremely dissapointed with the state cup boys yesterday, i wonder if he's tempted to throw a lifeline at big Karl to make his debut against the Bears next sunday.
Didn't get to see the NSW cup game, but they have been good in previous weeks by holding the opposition to nil. I dont think he will make to many changes.

Karl i still think is getting his match fitness back. I don't think he will be played just yet, i wouldnt be suprised if he see's out the season with bundy and then Rip brings him up to train with the premier league team for the back end of the season and semi finals once bundy is done. There is only 6 games left in the bundy cup plus 4 weeks of finals if of course they make it that far, and Bundy cup finished before NSW Cup which runs in line with the NRL. But that is Rips call, he will do what he thinks is best for Karl and for the team.

His fitness is improving each week though, you can see it in him and there are alot of positive signs.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I hope so Stagger. I really hope this kid turns out well for us and eventually warrants selection in our NRL team. We really need a good big strong centre who can bust the line and take a leadership roll out wide to stabilize the backline in defense.

well I've seen him a few times recently and he appears to be ticking all the right boxes.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Didn't get to see the NSW cup game, but they have been good in previous weeks by holding the opposition to nil. I dont think he will make to many changes.

Karl i still think is getting his match fitness back. I don't think he will be played just yet, i wouldnt be suprised if he see's out the season with bundy and then Rip brings him up to train with the premier league team for the back end of the season and semi finals once bundy is done. There is only 6 games left in the bundy cup plus 4 weeks of finals if of course they make it that far, and Bundy cup finished before NSW Cup which runs in line with the NRL. But that is Rips call, he will do what he thinks is best for Karl and for the team.

His fitness is improving each week though, you can see it in him and there are alot of positive signs.

well he's been starting each week despite the fact that he's been originally chosen to start of the bench.

when i asked Rip about him a few weeks ago, i know he was keen to have a closer look at him.

Whats Karls strengths? Does anyone think he could be up for an NRL contract next year or just a reserve grade Wenty deal.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Whats Karls strengths? Does anyone think he could be up for an NRL contract next year or just a reserve grade Wenty deal.

at very best he'd be on the lower paid bracket of the fulltime squad, he'll be one of these guys that will probably sign a contract later in the year.

not a high priority.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
well he's been starting each week despite the fact that he's been originally chosen to start of the bench.

when i asked Rip about him a few weeks ago, i know he was keen to have a closer look at him.
I heard that the reason he wears the number 15 jumper is because 3 and 4 dont fit him :lol: he is a big unit.

The team named each tuesday is never the team that runs out on the day.

The rest of their games except the one against WA are all at home for the rest of the regular season, so Rip will be able to get a closer look there.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I heard that the reason he wears the number 15 jumper is because 3 and 4 dont fit him :lol: he is a big unit.

The team named each tuesday is never the team that runs out on the day.

The rest of their games except the one against WA are all at home for the rest of the regular season, so Rip will be able to get a closer look there.

it's been known to happen, I think they have the same problem with Tuanoala Kie..lol

ianlovesparra

Juniors
His strength is his strength lol, he throws of players at ease, he has good leg drive, a good defender, and is very quick for a big man, he also reads the opposition plays very well and is quick to snuff out any opportunity that opposition thinks they have, he gets in and is a very good one on one defender.

As for a contract, i think stagger is on the money, might get a minimum base contract, with say nrl match payments which might be done later this year if he keeps playing well.

What is the average minimum base salary for a nrl player stagger? Id stay around 50k?

Stagger eel

Staff member
His strength is his strength lol, he throws of players at ease, he has good leg drive, a good defender, and is very quick for a big man, he also reads the opposition plays very well and is quick to snuff out any opportunity that opposition thinks they have, he gets in and is a very good one on one defender.

As for a contract, i think stagger is on the money, might get a minimum base contract, with say nrl match payments which might be done later this year if he keeps playing well.

What is the average minimum base salary for a nrl player stagger? Id stay around 50k?

I think it's 55K...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Still a fair bit of money and i know after what happned at the sharks, karl wont go chasing the big money anymore, he wants to prove himself and earn his contract. Good on him

his next contract will be a moderate one as he still has a black mark on his CV from the sharks experiance, I think there's some real value in keeping him on board regardless of what happens until the end of the year.

Kris Keating also told me that he's one of the most difficult players to stop at full flight.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
his next contract will be a moderate one as he still has a black mark on his CV from the sharks experiance, I think there's some real value in keeping him on board regardless of what happens until the end of the year.

Kris Keating also told me that he's one of the most difficult players to stop at full flight.
We don't know the full story as to why he left the sharks, reports say he just wanted out, but i think there is more behind it and am pretty confident that it wasn't just karl who wanted to part ways with the club.

Wenty beat Brothers 22-10

Ben Taia was outstanding causing havoc every time he touched the ball and was easily the best out there.

The back row of Woodlands, Sargent and Stanfield impressed again, they are so consistent and I am yet to see a bad game out of them in the last month.

Karlos was quiet, didn't get a great deal of ball but was damaging every time he ran attracting numerous defenders at times 3 and 4 guys were required to take him down. He was on the receiving end of a monster shot by one of the brothers players who I doubt will remember any of the game. After the hit Karlos stood to play the ball and the ref (Henry P) called time off to allow the unfortunate brothers player to be assisted from the field.

And lastly I love the mongrel that Johnny Korbosi brings to the side.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Korbosi is a machine, love the way he plays, just gets in there and rips in, strong runner, he and karlos on the right side make players think twice of running that way.

Should be a good game this week against shellharbour, we got beaten by them last time. Playing at wenty this week, im sure the boys will be out to get some revenge.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
has Korbosi been out injured? i just haven't seen his name on any team lists for a while.
Yeah he was out injured, not to sure what the injury was, but he is back now and is really making his presence felt out there.
He hasn't been named in the team, but as always the team changes alot on game day to the one that is named on tuesday.
He comes off the bench, if you get out there on sunday keep an eye on him, you will be impressed. He and karl played together at the dogs to i think, so they will have some of their own little moves and calls im sure lol

Stagger eel

Staff member
interesting..thanks.

he did play a bit of centre for us in the SG Ball and flegg before he went to the dogs and then the bears.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
NSW Cup lost - what the f**k boys? I was getting used to relying on you for happytimes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.