What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies 2011 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Hmm wow um. I'm not overly fussed. I think he lacks mongrel TBH. Good luck to him.

Gronk

Staff member
Condolences to Karl Filiga and his family.

Young documentary maker loses leukaemia battle

By TOM HUNT - The Dominion Post Last updated 05:00 11/09/2010

A young Wellington film-maker who moved audiences with a documentary on his battle with cancer has died.
Kurt Filiga, 20, died surrounded by family and friends in Wellington Hospital about 5am yesterday, family friend Elishka Graham said.
One of the last things he did before entering hospital with an infection was to speak at a private showing of his documentary, Kurt-E: In My Blood, late last month. He received a rave review for the film by award-winning Six Dollar Fifty Man director Louis Sutherland in The Dominion Post.
"That meant a lot to him, that there was a positive review in the paper," Mrs Graham said. "Having that whole process, that meant an enormous amount to him.
"That he had achieved something he had always wanted to do. He was so thrilled."
There was "international interest" in the film from other festivals, she said.
Kurt, who had been in Mary Potter Hospice, went home after last month's showing but contracted an infection after a couple of days and was taken to Wellington Hospital, where he had been since. He later developed more infections.
"His body just couldn't do it any more."
His brother Karlos, a Parramatta Eels rugby league player, returned home late on Thursday night.
"Kurt was hanging out for Karlos to get back."
The family were going through enormous grief, Mrs Graham said yesterday.
"They are coping as people do in a crisis."
Kurt Filiga was diagnosed with leukaemia last November while a media student at Victoria University. With the help of Park Rd Post he was making a documentary that was to be a tale of triumph over a debilitating disease.
Instead, it became the tale of a young man dying.
Sutherland – who won awards at the Sundance, Cannes, and Berlin film festivals with the short film he co-directed, Six Dollar Fifty Man – said In My Blood was "as genuine and visceral as documentary making gets".
"In 15 minutes, what starts with hope and determination dwindles as modern medicine runs out of options – 15 minutes feels like a lifetime.
"And among the shaky handheld camera work at all hours, there is Kurt. Still, quiet, determined – the picture of strength, and his only concern as the film reaches its peak is how his mother will be without him."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/4118303/Young-documentary-maker-loses-leukaemia-battle

Gronk

Staff member
Karl has had a good year considering the circumstances.

*Wondering if the club made a choice between Jono and Karl for 2011 NSW Cup and backup for NRL*

boxhead

First Grade
My condolences to the Filiga family, I am deeply saddened by this, and I hope the family can pull through this tough time.

14 Gone, Try to Wentworthville

Scpored by Tom HUmble after he charged down a kick on our own 10. Ran the Length an scored under the Posts,

Tom Kicks the goal,

Wenty 6, Jets 0.

18 Gone, Try to the Jets after a set from a penelty,

Troy Savage scores,

Goal Kicked by 3 Tu'u Maori

21 gone, Try of the Kick off set, Liam Foran (7) scores

Goal Kicked by 3 Tu'u Maori

Newtown 12 vs Wenty 6

52 gone, Try Newtown, after sustained pressure on Wenty's ine by the Jets,

4 Chris Tuatara-Morrison

4 Tu'u Maori misses the goal

Newtown 28 vs Wenty 12