What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies 2011 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
I hope Aaron gets it , that would be great for him!
I see it as a set back to be honest. Like telling Peter Sharp to go coach 20s, don't think he will be very happy about that. Good luck to Macca anyway, he is a top bloke. If cooki doesn't get the job done then im sure macca will take over.

Stagger eel

Staff member
STOP IT! No Way??

I would have to start attending Bundy Cup games..

I see it as a set back to be honest. Like telling Peter Sharp to go coach 20s, don't think he will be very happy about that. Good luck to Macca anyway, he is a top bloke. If cooki doesn't get the job done then im sure macca will take over.

Brett Cook is confirmed for state cup and Aaron is rumoured to have already been offered and accepted the role for Bundy..;-)

both guys are very happy I believe.

jimmy13

Juniors
Why is it a step back? would imagine having your own team would be better.
Any idea when / if this will be confirmed?

Fee

Juniors
I cant see how its a step back. Ok he was assistant coach with NSW cup, now he is coach of Bundy, I thought that was a step forward, not backwards. Or I maybe wrong.

Stagger eel

Staff member

quick question Ian, are you anyway associated with the Wenty club or have friends who are?

ianlovesparra

Juniors
The reason i see it as a step back is because he is dropping to a lower team. Sure he is going to be coach, but as i said before it's like going from 1st grade to 20s or NSW Cup in a way. Wouldn't that be a step back?

No stagger no connections mate, just live in the area and get to most of the games down at ringrose.

jimmy13

Juniors
The reason i see it as a step back is because he is dropping to a lower team. Sure he is going to be coach, but as i said before it's like going from 1st grade to 20s or NSW Cup in a way. Wouldn't that be a step back?

I see your point - however i imagine any coach would rather have their own team - he has to start somewhere. Don't think he is going to step up into a higher position without some experience with coaching his own side. Being an assistant he would lack experience in doing alot of the hands on coaching - this will give him his chance.
Good luck to the bloke - is it confirmed yet?

ianlovesparra

Juniors

I see your point - however i imagine any coach would rather have their own team - he has to start somewhere. Don't think he is going to step up into a higher position without some experience with coaching his own side. Being an assistant he would lack experience in doing alot of the hands on coaching - this will give him his chance.
Good luck to the bloke - is it confirmed yet?
Yeah i see your point there to.

Bundy wont be as strong next season with the retirment of Sargent and Filiga moving up to the NRL squad. I reckon a few bundy boys from this season will also get a shot in NSW Cup now that Brett Cook is coach.

Gronk

Staff member
Meanwhile, departed coach Daniel Anderson is not the only casualty from the 2010 season.
Eels legend Brett Kenny has been sacked as Wentworthville coach after taking them to the NSW Cup finals but has been promised a role with the Eels in the NRL Cup.
By contrast, Matt Cameron, whose Eels finished last in 2010, has been retained as Toyota Cup coach.
Brett Cook is the new Magpie NSW Cup coach.
Cook has taken Wenty to the last two Bundaberg Red Cup premierships.
Aaron McDonald, who has been Wenty's NSW Cup and before that Premier League assistant coach for seasons, takes over as Bundy Cup coach.
Alex Chan, a long-serving front-rower at the Eels and other clubs, is Wenty's new A-grade coach.
http://www.parramattasun.com.au/new...ue/mortimer-holds-kearneys-faith/2007879.aspx

jimmy13

Juniors
Looks like there have been some big coaching changes at wenty. Will be good to see how it all works out - imagine success will be almost expected from all three sides.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
lol..just awaiting for caspers conspiracy!

Still looking Muzzy.....
Back to you shortly mate.......

images

Stagger eel

Staff member
What has your Club been up to before the break?
NSWRL Media

15/12/2010 2:13:21 PM

What has your team been up to before the break?
WENTWORTHVILLE MAGPIES
Coaching staff:
Head Coach: Brett Cook – This will be Brett's first year as Head Coach of the NSW Cup squad. He has previously won the Bundaberg Red Cup competition with Wentworthville in 2009, 2010.
Strength and Conditioning : Matt Taylor
Head Trainer: Tim Bottle
Trainer/Assistant Coach: Rod Pritchard
Team Manager: Brett McKenna
All officials for 2011 are past Wentworthville players and have come through the Wenty systems.
Train on squad:
Ben Falcone - ex Western Suburbs Magpies
Matt Hunt - ex North Sydney Bears
Benson Tupou - ex Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Jorge Taufua
Mark Hendy
Simon Greaves
James Boustani
Henry Raiwalui
Walter Vaeau
Nathan Armit
Brendan Waters
Peter Prime
Blake Blackburn
Brent Rae-Miller
Cliff Nye
Brad Lupi
Tom Vainga
Sam Aiga
Trent Rose
Mitchell Stanfield
Dylan Gilbert
Valu Nassio
PLEASE NOTE: The above doesn't included contracted Parramatta players
Released/Losses:
Jonathon Wright - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Tim Robinson – Manly Warringah
Tim Mortimer – France
Brendan Oake - Released
Grayson Goodwin - Negotiating
Dom Nasso - Negotiating
Training Schedule:
Training commenced 15th November 2010 with 4 sessions a week ( inc gym and field each session) and will break for Xmas on 21st December and will resume on Jan 10th.
First trial:
Sunday 13th February Vs Western Suburbs Magpies - Ringrose Park 4.30pm.
Players you expect to have a breakout year in 2011:
Karl Filiga - Has been one of the standout players in the Wenty Bundy Cup side for the past two seasons and is now training full time with the Parramatta NRL squad. With this experience and improved fitness Karl will be ready to step up to a much higher level.
Tom Humble - One of the most promising players involved in our partnership. Will probably play more NRL than NSW Cup but will shine wherever he plays.
Anthony Mitchell - Like Tom Humble, Anthony is a very gifted and promising player. With last years experience in the NRL he will have many top grade appearances in 2011.
Mitchell Allgood - Mitchell was having a great season in 2010 and was on the verge of a call up to NRL until injury intervened in the back half of the season. Only a youngster and still building up strength and size, Mitchell is on the verge of what will be an impressive 2011 season.
Taniela Lasalo - Taniela is a very talented player who tasted NRL last season and performed well. Will be all the better for that experience and with further improvement will put pressure on for a regular NRL position.
Expert’s opinion:
After what would have been deemed an 'OK' season in the 2010 NSW Cup, a new year brings renewed hope to this proud club. Along with this fresh start comes a new head coach in the shape of Brett Cook who will look to translate his lower grade success to the big stage in 2011. Cook is well liked around the league and is sure to have the full support of the football club but more importantly the dressing room. From a personnel sense there is little doubt that the Magpies will field a very competitive outfit in 2011 but their success will heavily hinge on Parramatta's requirements in the NRL. With the Eels roster woes well documented recently it will be interesting to see who they eventually settle on come Round 1 next year. If the Eels make a bright start to their campaign, you can expect the Magpies to do the same.

http://nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=...hat-has-your-club-been-up-to-before-the-break

Last edited:

LeagueInsider

Juniors
Some interesting times ahead for Wenty... when you add guys like 2010 regulars Tom Humble, Anthony Mitchell and Mitchell Allgood to the above list and then consider the prospect of perhaps getting fringe players back from the Eels like Casey Macguire, Eni Folau and Jordan Atkins on any given week, there is real potential for success in 2011. But if Parra can't settle on combinations or have a bad run of injuries, Wenty may be the ones who ultimately lose out in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.