What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caylo

Bench
He carved up in Toyota Cup, but then so do plenty of blokes that never make it.

the kid is still very young and if we keep him I'm not ready to write him off, he adds a few Kg to his frame and he will improve 10 fold. ATM he is dominated to easily but some of these forwards dont become regular first graders until 23-24+

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
the kid is still very young and if we keep him I'm not ready to write him off, he adds a few Kg to his frame and he will improve 10 fold. ATM he is dominated to easily but some of these forwards dont become regular first graders until 23-24+

I agree. He coulds still definitely become a good first grader; he's got freakish agility for his height and he's pretty quick.

But at the moment he's nowhere near strong enough for first grade.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
things should be better when we sign up these guys who kill it in toyota cup to long term deals at the academy. :crazy:

You don't sign them just based on their performance in junior footy; they're signed based on all the biomechanics measurables - strength, explosive power, balance, agility, acceleration, etc. That and attitude.

This is raw data opposition clubs don't get ahold of; they're stuck scouting players at games, and drawing their assessments from that. This puts us in the driving seat as far as making the most accurate evaluation of the player, meaning we're less likely to either overpay, or lose a player with real potential.

That's how it works for development clubs in rugby league and in other sports. If you broaden your interests you might learn something and not look like such a goose making stupid comments. :crazy:

Forty20

First Grade
1. Jerome MacKenzie
2. KJ MacKenzie
3. Troy Savage
4. Danny Howard
5. Vai Toutai
6. Jake Mullaney
7. Brendan Waters
8. Shane Shackleton
9. Nathan Smith
10. Peni Terepo
11. Pat O’Hanlon
12. Taniela Lasalo
13. Justin Horo
14. Rory Brien
15. Brad Lupi
16. Daniel Penese
17. Nathan Armit
19. Peter Prime

COACH: Brett Cook

Clicky

Horo drops back, Terepo starting, J.MacKensie to fullback, Mullany to 5/8 and most notably the return of Rory Brien from injury.

hindy111

Post Whore
I know people have said POH isnt what we expect.He is however quite big and strong with a good offload and only 21.I think guys forget that islanders develop a lot earlier physicaly. And 22/24 is a common age for normal forwards to come good.
Another 5 kilos in the off season and POH may be worth sticking with-Thou i hvent seen much of him at Wenty to say.M.Ryan is a good example thou

Tommy Coco

Juniors
I finally got around to watching that Wenty-Balmain game I had recorded last night and I see what the rest are saying about POH, while he still has a bit of developing to do, he actually looks a bit slow too.
It is a shame with Lasalo and Horo and even Roberts to an extent, you can tell they are NRL standard they just go missing/error prone. Shack had a terrible game and happy that he is on the outer, he even got pushed over a few times.
The only guys from the team that show real promise was Seage and Radradra, playing above them selves they went real well. Terepo was just back that week so I dont think he got too much time.
Atkins deserves a mention too, he should feel a touch unlucky if he is playing to the level he did in that game consistently, suppose it is centres we are short of and I dont know if he is a centre or just a specialty winger.

greena

Juniors
I agree with nthe comments on POH.

I posted a comment about his weight/strength a month ago but was shot down.

I will repeat that he will never have the leg strength required to make it at nrl level. Yes, you can do weights for the legs but has anyone taken note of his build, his legs are like long matchsticks and no amount of weight training will help.

caylo

Bench
I agree with nthe comments on POH.

I posted a comment about his weight/strength a month ago but was shot down.

I will repeat that he will never have the leg strength required to make it at nrl level. Yes, you can do weights for the legs but has anyone taken note of his build, his legs are like long matchsticks and no amount of weight training will help.

That is so ignorant, yes the kid is no SBW or Tallis but a lot of forwards take time to develop, 3-4 years. Gallen was in first grade for years before he was the player he became. Hoffman, Lewis, Bird and Watmough all were the same and struggled themselves early in their career and didn't play consistently until around 24-25 in much better sides then ours

POH would look good in a strong side but he does need to develop and grow into his body but size does not mean strength. I would not expect to much from him but i wouldnt be writing him off, defiantly worth keeping on the books for depth and covering injuries or maybe more.

greena

Juniors
None of the players you mention have the body shape of POH.

Unfortunately, he is very tall with long legs like matchsticks. Name me another forward playing in the NRL with legs as skinny as his.

We have tried to develop him over the last 4-5 years and it's time to concede he will not make it.

natheel

Coach
None of the players you mention have the body shape of POH.

Unfortunately, he is very tall with long legs like matchsticks. Name me another forward playing in the NRL with legs as skinny as his.

We have tried to develop him over the last 4-5 years and it's time to concede he will not make it.

matt ryan?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gee Poh is only 21 and we want to get rid of him give the guy some time to develop. Tony Williams and Jp cherry Evans were also playing reserve grade at the same age

Gronk

Staff member
Gee Poh is only 21 and we want to get rid of him give the guy some time to develop. Tony Williams and Jp cherry Evans were also playing reserve grade at the same age

I doubt he'd be on much. He's worth another off season. Put him on the oids. That will bulk him him up and give him the much needed angry face.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts