What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You know what mate? I was going to start a thread about him, I'm getting the feeling that he may be close to turning the corner, he's been competing well against some really stiff oposition and he's used his lanky size to his advantage, he was close to the best forward out there today and was up against cordoba, tagatase and fa'aoso..

I'm starting to warm to him.

So finally he is off the piss and given up on chasing chicks - thank god for that now it is time for him to use the talent he has !!!!

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I recommend trying these ones Muzza.;-)

noel-arrigos-condoms.jpg

Well I guess he did mention stiff opposition

#FairGame

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So was Jamie Judas Lyon!

Comparing Morgan to Lyon? What's your point?

Lyon was good enough to make an absolute merkin of himself and clubs still wanted him. Do you think Morgan is that good?

Do you think Morgan will spit the dummy and sit out the remainder of his contract because he was dropped to Wenty?

Is that the point you're trying to make, comparing Lyon to Morgan? Or are you not making any point as usual?

strider

Post Whore
He failed to pass the ball once. Other than that he defended very well and ran the ball for over 100 metres. Morgan was our only outside back that didn't make 100 metres last week.

And besides, don't you remember the media shitstorm last time Kearney dropped an established first grader? It's obviously not worth the hassle.

probably because someone was reluctant to pass the ball to him ... coincidence?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
probably because someone was reluctant to pass the ball to him ... coincidence?

If he'd gone looking for the ball he might still be in first grade.

Sio: 22 runs for 190 metres
Morgan: 10 for 77 metres

You reckon Blair passed the ball to Sio twelve more times than Tonga passed to Morgan?

I've been a Ryan Morgan fan for longer than just the past month, and I think he should be playing centre in first grade (with Blair on the wing). I reckon Ryan Morgan is the second best defensive centre at the club.

But he doesn't offer much in attack. Especially from the wing.

hybrideel

Bench
I think other than the last few weeks, the best form Morgan has shown in his career so far were the few games on the wing last year. Good in defence, good under the high ball and got a few tries if I remember correctly. If he has been a centre all his career until now he may just need to get used to having to come in looking for the ball a little more

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If he'd gone looking for the ball he might still be in first grade.

Sio: 22 runs for 190 metres
Morgan: 10 for 77 metres

You reckon Blair passed the ball to Sio twelve more times than Tonga passed to Morgan?

I've been a Ryan Morgan fan for longer than just the past month, and I think he should be playing centre in first grade (with Blair on the wing). I reckon Ryan Morgan is the second best defensive centre at the club.

But is Morgan the centre who should be thrown the ball and told to create an attacking opportunity for himsrelf or is he a centre who should be put in an attacking opportunity ( which he will finish the
Majority of times)

Ps - I can't remember the last time the highly regarded former nsw centre Matt cooper set up an attacking opportunity !!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But is Morgan the centre who should be thrown the ball and told to create an attacking opportunity for himsrelf or is he a centre who should be put in an attacking opportunity ( which he will finish the
Majority of times)

Ps - I can't remember the last time the highly regarded former nsw centre Matt cooper set up an attacking opportunity !!

That's because creating opportunities from nothing isn't the primary job of a centre.

First of all a centre needs to be able to tackle one-on-one. If he can't do that he needs to move either inside or outside.

Cooper is a rep centre because he's a great defender, or at least he used to be. He is still very good.

In attack a centre is just another swinging dick to run the ball out wide. If he has a great offload or the ability to make a break from nothing then that's just gravy. But it's all irrelevant if he can't consistently tackle one-on-one.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I would have picked Morgan ahead of Blair and I think Tonga should have had a week in Wenty to get match fit before coming back in considering he has been struggling with injuries all year. We saw today that Morgan is too good for Wenty and we will see tomorrow if the right decision has been made.
I hope both Blair and Tonga do well for us tomorrow.
Go The Eels

Ridiculous!

Gronk is right. Tonga has his first game back from injury and he SHOULD be an automatic selection in firsts.

Morgan can take up his case against the other backs, they're the ones we should be debating about.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I reckon Ryan Morgan is the second best defensive centre at the club.

I'd say the opposite about Morgan!!!

He's terrible defensively, but probably offers more in attack (in the last month) than any of the other outside backs.

Blair might miss more tackles, but they're "rush up and bash em" tackles - they don't result in trouble or tries. He gets them at the second dig.
Morgan has placement issues.

Y2Eel

First Grade
How many clubs bring their best players back from injury through reserve grade? None, that's how many.

Every star walks back into first grade as soon as they're able to play. Every coach at every club does this.

If it was Hayne, Billy Slater before they got injured was actually playing good then yes... Tonga had been crap all year that may be because he was carrying an injury but none the less he isnt a star at the eels just high priced hack at the moment...

caylo

Bench
I'd say the opposite about Morgan!!!

He's terrible defensively, but probably offers more in attack (in the last month) than any of the other outside backs.

Blair might miss more tackles, but they're "rush up and bash em" tackles - they don't result in trouble or tries. He gets them at the second dig.
Morgan has placement issues.

I tend to agree, Morgan makes more tackles then his partnering centre but that is usually because he comes in field and defends as a backrower and then leaves his half stranded out wide. IMO Blair reads defence much better but both are still young and will improve. In attack Morgan couldn't beat a shovel one on one, but he is a good whole runner which lends him to be a better long term winger rather then centre. He was suspect under the high ball last week though but that's probably because he is not used to that in the centres and with*time he'll be fine.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Ridiculous!

Gronk is right. Tonga has his first game back from injury and he SHOULD be an automatic selection in firsts.

Morgan can take up his case against the other backs, they're the ones we should be debating about.

Why is it ridiculous when he has been struggling with injuries all year and hasn't lived up to expectations?

oldmancraigy

Coach
If it was Hayne, Billy Slater before they got injured was actually playing good then yes... Tonga had been crap all year that may be because he was carrying an injury but none the less he isnt a star at the eels just high priced hack at the moment...

If he's been "crap" in that you expected him to make a bunch of long breaks every game, then yes, we've all been disappointed.

If however, you're accusing him of being 'crap' defensively, then I'd suggest you need to learn something about rugby league.
If you're saying he's been crap in attack, then you may or may not have a case. But we're the worst defensive team in the comp, and so if we were picking him simply for his experience and defence, then there'd be a very good case for it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Why is it ridiculous when he has been struggling with injuries all year and hasn't lived up to expectations?

He doesn't need to live up to [your] expectations. He simply needs to provide a better option than the other players at the position.

Since he does that (experience, defence and ability to run off a ballplaying half) he's the one who should be picked.

Y2Eel

First Grade
If he's been "crap" in that you expected him to make a bunch of long breaks every game, then yes, we've all been disappointed.

If however, you're accusing him of being 'crap' defensively, then I'd suggest you need to learn something about rugby league.
If you're saying he's been crap in attack, then you may or may not have a case. But we're the worst defensive team in the comp, and so if we were picking him simply for his experience and defence, then there'd be a very good case for it.

blah blah blah watched 15 mins of todays game he still not up to first grade...

LOL what do i need to learn about rugby league to say Willie Tonga cant read the play?

You basically saying he is crap as well apart from the part where i need to learn rugby league:lol:

But thanks today Willie for proving these idiots wrong... Sorry you played ( as Did Blair TBH) poorly as he whole team has for the first 15..

Status
Not open for further replies.