What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

duck_dodgers

Juniors
The CEO of Sydney Soccer Club Edwin Lugt?

It is not the leading code in Australia…………….. “YET”

it's come a long way in the last 5 years . The winner of today's game qualifys for a regional tournament where the prize money pool is $20M US .

there's room for all codes in this country , I feel sorry for the people who can't get their head around more than 1 .

it's come a long way in the last 5 years . The winner of today's game qualifys for a regional tournament where the prize money pool is $20M US .

there's room for all codes in this country , I feel sorry for the people who can't get their head around more than 1 .

Whilst I enjoy many sports , this 'room for all codes' line is pure BS.

fact is we live in a small country of 22 million people , yet we have more codes than virtually any other country on earth.

There is not room for all codes on the domestic front. We are all fighting over what little money and juniors there are.

The room for all line usually comes from those in the camp fighting their way up. Those already at the top know its rubbish.

Green Machine

First Grade
I don't think its changed much since the inception of the A League
Like Edwin Lugt?

duck_dodgers

Juniors
Whilst I enjoy many sports , this 'room for all codes' line is pure BS.

fact is we live in a small country of 22 million people , yet we have more codes than virtually any other country on earth.

There is not room for all codes on the domestic front. We are all fighting over what little money and juniors there are.

The room for all line usually comes from those in the camp fighting their way up. Those already at the top know its rubbish.

yes we do participate in a lot of sports at a high level ... not just football codes but all the others too . It's our climate and lifestyle that other countries can only dream about . Don't denounce it ... celebrate it .

however ...

if it's a fight over juniors then there'll be only 1 winner .

if it's a fight over money then the code that has commercial appeal beyond the 22 million in this country has a big advantage.

look at what's happening to 50 over cricket now . A few years ago the grounds were packed now 20/20 is taking over .

times change ... dinosaurs die out

duck_dodgers

Juniors
I don't think its changed much since the inception of the A League

before the a-league there was no progression into the asian champions league with the big $$$ on offer . soccer australia was broke and the socceroos played against pacific island nations to very small crowds .

try reading this book if you get a chance

9781741666236.jpg

Green Machine

First Grade
before the a-league there was no progression into the asian champions league with the big $$$ on offer . soccer australia was broke and the socceroos played against pacific island nations to very small crowds .
Come on, don’t change the subject. You said in the last 5 years.

9781741666236.jpg
I wouldn't read or believe anything John O'Neill wrote.

yes we do participate in a lot of sports at a high level ... not just football codes but all the others too . It's our climate and lifestyle that other countries can only dream about . Don't denounce it ... celebrate it .

however ...

if it's a fight over juniors then there'll be only 1 winner .

if it's a fight over money then the code that has commercial appeal beyond the 22 million in this country has a big advantage.

look at what's happening to 50 over cricket now . A few years ago the grounds were packed now 20/20 is taking over .

times change ... dinosaurs die out

Soccer offcourse has that major advantage.

but as long as the local product is rubbish the NRL dont have much to worry about.

going global counts against the A-league as much as it helps. The European leagues are so accesible for local fans they may as well be a local comp.

Really the A-league is not just competing against the NRL & AFL for fans. Its competing against Serie a , EPL etc. That imo is a fight it can never win.

Dont get me wrong , the A-league is a great step forward for soccer in this country. It will prove to be a great development league for our talent.

Being global sport no 1. though doesnt always break down cultural barriers. Soccer struggles in many countries around the world where there are strong traditional sports. Just being no 1. if Europe , South America & Africa isnt going to win everyone over.

9781741666236.jpg

lol , john oneill !

Soccer would still be broke in this country if it wasnt for the tens of millions they have received from the federal government.

money that was needed because of their own ineptitude.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Soccer offcourse has that major advantage.

but as long as the local product is rubbish the NRL dont have much to worry about.

going global counts against the A-league as much as it helps. The European leagues are so accesible for local fans they may as well be a local comp.

Really the A-league is not just competing against the NRL & AFL for fans. Its competing against Serie a , EPL etc. That imo is a fight it can never win.

Dont get me wrong , the A-league is a great step forward for soccer in this country. It will prove to be a great development league for our talent.

Being global sport no 1. though doesnt always break down cultural barriers. Soccer struggles in many countries around the world where there are strong traditional sports. Just being no 1. if Europe , South America & Africa isnt going to win everyone over.

Ummmmmmmmmmm. I'm a RL man to my core, but you are saying that a combined population of around 2.5 billion isn't, pretty much, everyone? Well, on a planet of 6 billion you are probably correct.....until you throw in 3 billion Asians. That is pretty much everyone.

The 0.5 billion remaining live in North Amrica and Australia. Soccers the game of choice to around 90% of the Earth. that won't change. The remaining 10% that don't...well, that won't change either.

Ummmmmmmmmmm. I'm a RL man to my core, but you are saying that a combined population of around 2.5 billion isn't, pretty much, everyone? Well, on a planet of 6 billion you are probably correct.....until you throw in 3 billion Asians. That is pretty much everyone.

The 0.5 billion remaining live in North Amrica and Australia. Soccers the game of choice to around 90% of the Earth. that won't change. The remaining 10% that don't...well, that won't change either.

not what im saying at all.

Im saying that just because Soccer is the most popular sport by far in those regions doesnt mean the rest of the world will/should automatically follow it.

many hard core soccer fans are under the illusion Australia will just fall in line.

Asia by the way is a toss up to what sport is most popular. Through the sub contintent region it doesnt even rate.

LESStar58

Referee
It was only a matter of time before DUI Bec showed her horrid face on that show.

That Barry twat host just had to bring up the news of Hodges being told to leave the All Stars camp. Thankfully there was minimal response and they just moved on to the next segment.

Why?

LESStar58

Referee
Anyone see it this morning? Was great to see Roy fire up about the AFL's plan for free agency in a vague attempt at getting kids to the plastic fumbleball teams in Western Sydney and the Gold Coast. Cassidy tried to calm him down but to no avail! Priceless!

LESStar58

Referee
Just a shame there was no Wilson. Can't see why he wouldn't get invited back. As sh*t a show as it's become the stousches between Roy and Caro are probably the best thing!

What about the way Barrie "don't call me Jimmy" Cassidy simply disregards and mocks everything that Roy Masters says. Why bother having a league rep on the show. And Gideon looks so uncomfortable from that silver spoon which is shoved so far up his clacker, I am not sure why I watch the show really.

Latest posts