What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offsiders

typicalfan

Coach
and
I meant it was obsessional to find a thread that wasn't even about that subject just because I was posting in it, just to attack me.

Alright, I shouldn't have called Slater a gnome. :) But I stand by the other points. The challenges are built around quick power performances. The AFL selects its players mostly on endurance and agility. These are not criticisms of rugby league in any way.

And if you want to speak troll: Don't be so touchy, you big girl's blouse. I don't need to justify myself to you, so p**s off back to Parra... that's if you can get there without idling for two hours on Parramatta Road and being involved in three accidents. And then having your rims stolen by local youths. And then getting bashed by a different set of local youths. And then being bashed again by the local cops.

Well then why did Billy come second in the ironman challenge? everyone bar Eckstein struggled with the endurance required for that event but Billy came second and thrashed the rest of the field and the AFL stars are nothing special.

btw for Billy Slater to beat Shannon Eckstein is a big thing, Eckstein is nearly unbeatable in the ironman as it is and had a lot of events that suited him. Slater proves that Rugby League players have to be very good athletes as there are others that could outdo him in these events.

m0nty

Juniors
There's no question Billy Slater is a fantastic athlete. He was 2008 rugby league player of the year. He is an elite sportsman. This is not in question.

mickdo

Coach
Slater proves that Rugby League players have to be very good athletes as there are others that could outdo him in these events.

I think he proves it for fullbacks at least. That's the position that usually requires the highest fitness level. Not too sure that the forwards would be as good as they usually don't play 80 minutes and don't cover as many metres, although they do have more collisions.

smacky

Juniors
I think he proves it for fullbacks at least. That's the position that usually requires the highest fitness level. Not too sure that the forwards would be as good as they usually don't play 80 minutes and don't cover as many metres, although they do have more collisions.

Forwards are quite a bit bigger as well. For that competition size is usually a disadvantage.

typicalfan

Coach
Darren Lockyer showed how difficult it was initially to adjust to being in the front line. Fullbacks make more metres but they aren't under the same constant physical and mental stresses that players in the forwards or halves have to deal with.

Not saying fullbacks aren't great athletes because it is pretty obvious they are, but I don't think they are alone in that department.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2010/s2833498.htm

DEAN WILLIAMS: One of the board members, Mr. Harold Mitchell, came up and said he wanted to have a chat to me.

And I said... I'd never met... I'd never met the man at all. So I introduced myself and he wanted to have a chat out in the corridor.

DEBBIE WHITMONT: Harold Mitchell is Australia's largest media buyer, and he negotiated Tennis Australia's deal with Channel Seven.

Mitchell told Williams a vote for McNamee would have serious implications.

DEAN WILLIAMS: Well, he said basically, you realise you're putting the whole project into jeopardy with regards to the Channel 7 TV rights.

Which is, they've just signed a new five year deal with Channel 7 and it's a lot more money than the previous five years.

DEBBIE WHITMONT: What did you think of that statement?

DEAN WILLIAMS: I just thought it was totally inappropriate, to put it mildly.

DEBBIE WHITMONT: Nor was it true.

El Diablo

Post Whore
today was a real surprise with a lot of League talk and all pretty positive

even Beccy had me in shock

typicalfan

Coach
Why? what happened. Is it good shock or bad shock. Because there are many ways that Beccy could bad shock you that I don't want to think about right now.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Funny how they had nothing about the 4000 crowd at Blacktown, yet 2 weeks ago they could wait to tell us about the crowd.......

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Beccy said some bullsh*t that QLD was mad for it's rugby union once upon a time.

This is a massive load of bollocks.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Beccy said some bullsh*t that QLD was mad for it's rugby union once upon a time.

This is a massive load of bollocks.
Yeah i had to laugh at that, QLD was Rugby mad even in a RL stronghold or some sort of garbage.

Green Machine

First Grade
Yeah, Becky grew up in QLD where Union was religious. That was funny. She also said she is a person that loves Rugby League. It's a strange love.
She described the AFL as a glamorous sport. Glamorous? Trainer-park yes, not glamorous,

Latest posts