What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Hit wonders

newtownbluebags said:
Patrick Hernandez - Born to be alive! :arrow: \\\\:D/

That song was so bad. lol

And the clip is excruciating. He stand at the tables at an outdoor restaurant and plays with a walking stick the whole song.

My favourite two are;

Get Used to it - Roger Voudouris.

Laugh my arse off whenever I see that ponce in his red cashmere sweater standing in front of a wind machine.

and

In the year 2525 - Zager and Evans.

6 weeks at number one then nothing.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Slappy said:
DEVO had a string of hits, were commercially successful and VERY influential.
How you could mistake that for 'one hit wonder' status is quite astounding.
Here in Australia that was their 15 minutes of fame!.....heaps of "one hit wonders" here are succesful in their own countries for many years afterwards, just we never hear of them again........:sarcasm:

Slappy

Juniors
newtownbluebags said:
Here in Australia that was their 15 minutes of fame!.....heaps of "one hit wonders" here are succesful in their own countries for many years afterwards, just we never hear of them again........:sarcasm:

I didn't think 2TB created this thread specifically about 'one hit wonders' in Australia. Your 'success in their own country' argument is pretty useless when you consider that DEVO are from the US and Australian charts are dominated by music from the UK, Australia and the US. It's not like they were from Finland or some place relatively obscure.
Also, the fact that you never heard of them again means nothing at all...:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Slappy said:
I didn't think 2TB created this thread specifically about 'one hit wonders' in Australia. Your 'success in their own country' argument is pretty useless when you consider that DEVO are from the US and Australian charts are dominated by music from the UK, Australia and the US. It's not like they were from Finland or some place relatively obscure.
Also, the fact that you never heard of them again means nothing at all...:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
You Idiot.....after searching the net I find Whip It listed on nearly every "one hit wonder" site! so your dribbling sh*t, again!...................Come back when your old enough to shave! :sarcasm:

This message is hidden because Slappy is on your ignore list. farkin idiot!

Slappy

Juniors
woaah settle down there fella,
I'm not trying to start a fight

if you've only heard one devo song, then fine, but there are other less ignorant people out there who actually listen to music and are aware of what is going on around them.

show me some links to all these sites

Jono078

Referee
Speaking of 20 to 01 - One Hit Wonders..

I saw the ad for 20 to 01 and that show (One Hit Wonders) is on Sunday, 6:30pm ch9.

Slappy

Juniors
newtownbluebags said:
You Idiot.....after searching the net I find Whip It listed on nearly every "one hit wonder" site! so your dribbling sh*t, again!...................Come back when your old enough to shave! :sarcasm:

This message is hidden because Slappy is on your ignore list. farkin idiot!

Wow, I'm on somebody's ignore list!
Just as it was getting interesting, he/she runs away. After firing off a couple of insults too. Pretty gutless stuff!

El Diablo

Post Whore
newtownbluebags said:
Certainly do ;-)

One of the biggest one hit wonders of the late 80's ~ "Never Gonna Give You Up" ~ Rick Astley

he had a hit with Together Forever as well

Skeletor

Juniors
Funny thing is, over here in the states Crowded House are considered a one hit wonder largely, as 'Don't Dream It's Over' was their only really successful song, so if I can count them as a one hit wonder, their 4 amazing albums have to put them right up there amongst the best one hit wonders.. Men At Work are too.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Are we forgetting the 'boots and all' theme song........

Ca Plane Pour Moi - by Plastique Bertrand

worst song ever!

Steel Dragon

Bench
and to settle arguments -
Devo weren't a one hit wonder
neither was Rick Astley
neither were the Proclaimers

but i think we can all agree that they were/are all sh!t

Slappy

Juniors
Steel Dragon said:
and to settle arguments -
Devo weren't a one hit wonder
neither was Rick Astley
neither were the Proclaimers

but i think we can all agree that they were/are all sh!t

That's right Steel Dragon, and whether you like them or not, no one with half a brain would label Devo (or Rick Astley for that matter ) a one hit wonder.

Slappy

Juniors
My little friend has run off now and put me on ignore after firing a few parting shots. Obviously after my resistance to his/her weak argument they most likely entered 'one hit wonder' and devo in google and came up with a few lists, most likely compiled by people as ignorant as him/herself. So bluebags, when you do log out and read this (I bet that stings), you can rest assured that there are plenty of bands who have had one top forty song (doesn't have to reach number 1 to be a hit) and not be considered 'one hit wonders'.

To qualify my argument, I would ask if anybody would consider artists like Faith No More, Frank Zappa, Iggy Pop, Cypress Hill, Gorillaz, Lou Reed, Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin one hit wonders. These artists had only one top forty hit (in the US, according to the Billboard top 100), but would you honestly consider them one hit wonders?
I know I wouldn't!

I will provide links to anyone questioning my statements.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Slappy said:
My little friend has run off now and put me on ignore after firing a few parting shots. Obviously after my resistance to his/her weak argument they most likely entered 'one hit wonder' and devo in google and came up with a few lists, most likely compiled by people as ignorant as him/herself. So bluebags, when you do log out and read this (I bet that stings), you can rest assured that there are plenty of bands who have had one top forty song (doesn't have to reach number 1 to be a hit) and not be considered 'one hit wonders'.

To qualify my argument, I would ask if anybody would consider artists like Faith No More, Frank Zappa, Iggy Pop, Cypress Hill, Gorillaz, Lou Reed, Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin one hit wonders. These artists had only one top forty hit (in the US, according to the Billboard top 100), but would you honestly consider them one hit wonders?
I know I wouldn't!

I will provide links to anyone questioning my statements.

but did Morris Minor and the Majors have another hit apart from Stutter Rap

even that shouldn't of been a hit :lol:

Steel Dragon

Bench
Scatman John - "I'm a Scatman"

internet searches for 'scatman' reveal that John was either not what he thought he was - or he actually was a dirty filthy fetish loving crazy bastard

Munky

Coach
Dexy's Midnight Runners weren't a one hit wonder were they.

They had another song called Because Of You which was popular didn't they?

Steel Dragon

Bench
Munky said:
Dexy's Midnight Runners weren't a one hit wonder were they.

They had another song called Because Of You which was popular didn't they?

To be honest - i read the DMR post and thought 'they weren't one hit wonders' but then i couldnt think of any other song they had - so i just assumed it was right.

Slappy

Juniors
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
Are you mental!? Devo had heaps of hits!

Weasels, don't expect this gutless wonder to be back in this thread any time soon.