What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

one more signing - Matt Adamson

PTB

Juniors
Penrith. From what I have read Leeds fans haven't thought much of his form this year.

aussies1st

Staff member
Hes a forward and hes in England so you would expect he must have some experience.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Leeds fans would say he hasn't been on form this season, because he's been one of the players which haven't been getting a place in the squad because he's come back from injury, and Leeds have a thing recently about playing the future British players.

As from what I can see, GREAT signing, despite his age.

He was a Penrith Player for 9 seasons people, he made 2 state of Origin appearances for New South Wales.

He's a player that never quits, plays his best, I'm quite pleased.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Matt Adamson was a fullback in the 90's for the panthers, but moved into the 2nd row where he was awesome for a while, played State of Origin for NSW, maybe even a test or two during super league.
He would be getting on a bit now though.

brenno

Juniors
Wow, if that's the "BIGNAME" signing the telecrap was referring to then that's a major anti-climax. Adamson was a decent player while at Penrith but at 32, he's well and truly past it now. #-o

Earl

Coach
When he left Australia he was going great guns. But I'm pretty sure his form has deteriorated immensly

schnitzel

Juniors
Adamson has been playing in the second row with Dave Furner at leeds for two years. He can also play prop. Was one of penrith's best in 2000 when we knocked them out of the finals at home. He also played SOO that year. Apparently penrith wanted him back for one last hurrah at bargain basement, but we must have paid him a bit more. OK as long as he didn't chew up too much salary cap imo, I hope we have targeted a long term solution at prop for next silly season?

raiders_boy

Juniors
I'm a bit disappointed with that... It was definitely an anti-climax. I thought we would get a young forward who will set us up for the future, but at 31... 32 by the time he starts playing... far out... He was great when he played here years ago, but im not sure noe... Quite disappointed considering all the hype.

Raiders Rock

Juniors
raiders_boy said:
I'm a bit disappointed with that... It was definitely an anti-climax. I thought we would get a young forward who will set us up for the future, but at 31... 32 by the time he starts playing... far out... He was great when he played here years ago, but im not sure noe... Quite disappointed considering all the hype.

Assuming that it's true, at least it's only a 12 month contract. Who knows, it may be a great signing for us... I'm sure the Warriors fans are happy they got Muss at 32 years of age!! He was a gun player for the Panthers, much in the same mould as Scott Sattler. I seem to remember a lot of people were pissed off out there when he had to go. I hope he's still got it...

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Leeds star to join Raiders

Monday, July 26, 2004

Leeds Rhinos' Australian forward Matt Adamson will return to the NRL with the Canberra Raiders next season.

Adamson is thought to have signed a 12-month contract.

Adamson, 31, was formerly with the Penrith Panthers. He joined Leeds at the start of the 2002 season, and played in the 2003 Challenge Cup Final against Bradford Bulls despite having a broken cheekbone.

Brisbane winger Craig Frawley also signed for three years for the Raiders at the weekend, joining St George Illawarra's David and Michael Howell, and Hull's Jason Smith as the club's major recruits for 2005.

report from www.totalrl.com

Cheers; Raiderette Mixi

Raiders Rock

Juniors
DrewBeliever said:
Leeds star to join Raiders

Monday, July 26, 2004

Leeds Rhinos' Australian forward Matt Adamson will return to the NRL with the Canberra Raiders next season.

Adamson is thought to have signed a 12-month contract.

Adamson, 31, was formerly with the Penrith Panthers. He joined Leeds at the start of the 2002 season, and played in the 2003 Challenge Cup Final against Bradford Bulls despite having a broken cheekbone.

Brisbane winger Craig Frawley also signed for three years for the Raiders at the weekend, joining St George Illawarra's David and Michael Howell, and Hull's Jason Smith as the club's major recruits for 2005.

report from www.totalrl.com

Cheers; Raiderette Mixi

Doesn't sound too bad does it, not bad for a... "CLUB IN CRISIS" We're back!!

mike83au

Juniors
Matt Adamson for 12 months? hmm...

I'm not sure about this one. I've never been for signing players for 1 year and hoping for miracles.... just seems wrong to me for some reason.

But assuming he can get anywhere into form, he can be very damaging. I remember him as a very hard hitter, not scared to take the ball up at pace, but for me, best above all - he has the biggest boot on him, that i've seen of any football player. If he connected with one, he could get it from one 20m line to another quite easily.

But yeah, i'm guessing he's moved on a bit since then and that's why he's joining us.

In this case, I find myself asking - have we signed a player just for the sake of it?