What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orford the new diver

gong_eagle

First Grade
Orford no diver: Doc
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1189276546870.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
Greg Prichard | September 10, 2007

Manly club doctor Paul Bloomfield says the team's captain, Matt Orford, did not get up after running into South Sydney lock Ben Rogers in Saturday night's game, because he was having diaphragm spasms and could hardly breathe.

"Matt was severely winded," Bloomfield said yesterday when asked what the problem had been with the star halfback, who eventually recovered to lead his team to a 30-6 victory at Brookvale Oval. "He was getting a fair bit of spasming in the diaphragm and struggling for breath. He'll probably have a bit of bruising around the chest and abdomen as a result."

The collision between Orford and Rogers, in the 58th minute, was the key incident in the match. Manly led 12-6 at the time and had got on top of the Rabbitohs, who could not afford to have anything go against them from there if they were to be any chance of pulling off a shock win.

But, when Orford chipped and chased and ran into Rogers, Souths were put under more pressure than they could stand after referee Shayne Hayne - acting on a touch judge's report - penalised Rogers for supposedly moving into Orford's path and taking him out.

Manly trapped Souths in-goal off a kick from the set following the penalty and then scored off the repeat set. Manly then ran away with it.

But replays showed Rogers had merely turned his back and stood his ground and that Orford had run into him.

Souths coach Jason Taylor, while acknowledging the Rabbitohs were beaten by the better team on the night, rightfully described the decision as ridiculous and embarrassing.

Some people suggested Orford had taken a dive but, in the dressing room, he vehemently denied that.

Manly coach Des Hasler was also adamant that was not Orford's style, saying: "Matt was genuinely injured. There is no doubt about that." Bloomfield's explanation appears to put the matter to rest.

As the second-highest-ranked winner, Manly will have next weekend off, and Hasler is confident that when they play again he will be able to choose his strongest side.

Prop Brent Kite missed the win over Souths with a groin injury and winger Chris Hicks and second-rower Glenn Stewart both suffered ankle injuries in the game, but Hasler reckons they will all be back in a fortnight.

" 'Kitey' will be right to go," Hasler said. "I've got a lot of faith in Glenn being OK too, because he was able to go back on with the injury against Souths. As far as Chris is concerned, I'd be worried about his chances if he had to play next week, but we have an excellent rehabilitation program here and I've seen what our people can do in getting players back in a hurry. I think they can do that with Chris.

"It would be a luxury, getting all of those guys ready for our next game, because I can't remember the last time we were able to field our strongest squad."

Bloomfield was more conservative but still optimistic about the trio's chance of taking the field.

Penance

Juniors
6fj0jeb.jpg

Orford at Training

Ribs

Bench
He took a dive..... which is understandable given his form this year and during the game. Thats the only time he was really involved.

Ive been winded plenty of times and you dont lie down like a shot dog when you are. He was lying there like he was knocked out and please, enough with the vomiting blood etc. What a load of sh*t.

It was a crucial penalty and good luck to him for winning it. Unfortunately it came at the cost of respect from all fans of the game. Besides Manly fans who believe that crap.

You're a dog Orford.

_Johnsy

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Gallen was hurt? When he got a tickle across the face...looked at the referee....cried....then layed down....then winked.

Or Tweety Pie when also has an arm wrapped across his neck by Donnelly, then lays down in the goal and counts sheep.

Sharks are the gold medal winners for diving. Disgrace to the game

Agree 100%, there are a few sharkies peddling the notion of orford/manly being the new dive king. Just hold on a bit fella's he/manly, or for that fact any other club has a long, long, long way to go before the reach the lofty heights of scumnulla.

Manly fLIP

Juniors
Doctor reveals Orford's real agony

By Dean Ritchie
September 10, 2007
MANLY doctor Paul Bloomfield revealed yesterday how Matt Orford vomited blood and suffered abdominal pains during his side's qualifying final against South Sydney - debunking suggestions the Sea Eagles halfback had taken a dive.
Rabbitohs fans jeered Orford when the Manly skipper collapsed in the second half after he kicked the ball and was hit by Souths lock Ben Rogers.
The Rabbitohs supporters claimed Orford took a dive. Referee Shayne Hayne awarded Manly a penalty, a try coming minutes later.
Souths coach Jason Taylor said that Orford collided with Rogers' back, describing the penalty as "ridiculous".
But Manly chief executive Grant Mayer last night labelled the Souths fans who booed as "unsportsmanlike". Orford will have additional scans today for bruising to the lungs.
"There was a bit of blood coming up on the field," Bloomfield said.
"We weren't sure whether it was coming from his windpipe or lungs.
"At first, Matt couldn't talk and was struggling to breathe. There was some concern but Matt refused to come off the field. We closely monitored him on the field through the trainers and again after the game, last night and again today."
Orford vomited again in the dressing room after Manly's 30-6 win at Brookvale Oval.
"He had abdominal pains after the game - there was no dive," Bloomfield said.
"Matt will have scans to rule out any lung contusion. He still has some pain in his lower ribs.
"He recovered well on the field but if you looked at him, you could see him go down during breaks in play trying to get his breath. After the match we determined there was no major rib injury or damage to the trachea. But as I said, it definitely wasn't a dive."
Orford was jeered by some Souths fans with every touch of the football after the incident.
"No doubt the bloke was injured," Mayer said.
"I saw him vomit after the game in our dressing room. He was down for three to four minutes on the field.
"Matt Orford isn't the kind of bloke to feign injury. I know the Souths supporters were passionate but I thought it was unfair on Matt."
Manly coach Des Hasler backed his chief executive's comments.
"It is scurrilous to suggest Matt took a dive," Hasler said.
At the post-match press conference, Taylor disputed the penalty which went against his team.
"The ridiculous thing is everyone at this ground and everyone who was watching the game on television and listening to it on the radio would have known that that shouldn't have been a penalty," Taylor said.
"There's five minutes (of stopped play) and we come up with these stupid rules that the video ref can't change - but it's a semi-final there.
"Everyone knows it's a wrong decision but he goes ahead and gives a penalty and then they score a try."

freeridermx

Juniors
i dont think people are say he was diving but it wasnt a penalty . it would of hurt but thats part of the game no one cares if he is hurt it was not a penalty end of story . yes it would of hurt and yes he may be injuried but that doesnt make it is a penalty otherwise everytime someone does a knee they would get a penalty and that doesnt make sense. anyway i hope Matt Orford get better . but it was the wrong call.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Manly fLIP said:
Orford will have additional scans today for bruising to the lungs.
"There was a bit of blood coming up on the field," Bloomfield said.
"We weren't sure whether it was coming from his windpipe or lungs.
"At first, Matt couldn't talk and was struggling to breathe. There was some concern but Matt refused to come off the field.

So let me get this right. He was coughing/spitting up blood... yet they let him play.

They thought he might have had internal bleeding from his lungs. Let me repeat that. They thought he might have been bleeding from his lungs !

He couldn't talk... he couldn't breathe properly... yet they let him play.

There was some concern... you know the whole internal bleeding thing... yet he insisted on staying on so... yeah let's let him play with a possible collapsed lung... it's what he wants.

And all this... he managed to nearly score a try 1 minute later then calmly kicked a goal.

Scenario #1: Orford has a lot of guts... but every trainer for Manly should be sacked & have their licences revoked for putting this guys life in danger. Why'd they let him play with internal bleeding ? Cuz he insisted...

Scenario #2: Orford is a diver.

For some reason I'm leaning towards the latter.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
God-King Dean said:
So let me get this right. He was coughing/spitting up blood... yet they let him play.

They thought he might have had internal bleeding from his lungs. Let me repeat that. They thought he might have been bleeding from his lungs !

He couldn't talk... he couldn't breathe properly... yet they let him play.

There was some concern... you know the whole internal bleeding thing... yet he insisted on staying on so... yeah let's let him play with a possible collapsed lung... it's what he wants.

And all this... he managed to nearly score a try 1 minute later then calmly kicked a goal.

Scenario #1: Orford has a lot of guts... but every trainer for Manly should be sacked & have their licences revoked for putting this guys life in danger. Why'd they let him play with internal bleeding ? Cuz he insisted...

Scenario #2: Orford is a diver.

For some reason I'm leaning towards the latter.
Thank God u cleared that all up...

slamminsam246

Juniors
OMG You guys are F#$#ed in the head! It wasn't penalty-worthy, but all you whom are making this conspiracy theory that Orford took a dive shood be shot. He got winded heavily and was struggling to breathe, hence the initial concern from the trainer. After a long while, like anyone who has been winded would know, you get ur breath back and you have some water and you can be right to play a couple of minutes later. I'm a medic for a rugby team myself, I have seen it before. And as it was a heavy blow to the wrong area, he coffed up some blood, but he was breathing properly. The trainer ran off, and the coverage showed Orford tryin to get back into gear and you see him bend over like he is going to spew or coff up more. He plays on though, cuz it is his choice! The only time it isnt is when the blood is on a jersey or could touch someone else, in this case it wasnt enough to be sent from the field. And the so called 'Amazing recovery' has nothing to do with him faking it, it's because you can get over a 'winding' quite quickly.

What else do you Farkheads need? He denies it, the trainer backs him and you have no evidence that it was faked. It may have drawn a penalty which was wrongly given, but he did not dive. Those who accuse are sore losers and absolute w%nkers! Scum in other words....

MSIH

Bench
God-King Dean said:
but every trainer for Manly should be sacked & have their licences revoked for putting this guys life in danger. Why'd they let him play with internal bleeding ? Cuz he insisted...

Well done on answering your own question. Any need for the rest of the sh*t in your post.

Manly fLIP

Juniors
slamminsam246 said:
OMG You guys are F#$#ed in the head! It wasn't penalty-worthy, but all you whom are making this conspiracy theory that Orford took a dive shood be shot. He got winded heavily and was struggling to breathe, hence the initial concern from the trainer. After a long while, like anyone who has been winded would know, you get ur breath back and you have some water and you can be right to play a couple of minutes later. I'm a medic for a rugby team myself, I have seen it before. And as it was a heavy blow to the wrong area, he coffed up some blood, but he was breathing properly. The trainer ran off, and the coverage showed Orford tryin to get back into gear and you see him bend over like he is going to spew or coff up more. He plays on though, cuz it is his choice! The only time it isnt is when the blood is on a jersey or could touch someone else, in this case it wasnt enough to be sent from the field. And the so called 'Amazing recovery' has nothing to do with him faking it, it's because you can get over a 'winding' quite quickly.

What else do you Farkheads need? He denies it, the trainer backs him and you have no evidence that it was faked. It may have drawn a penalty which was wrongly given, but he did not dive. Those who accuse are sore losers and absolute w%nkers! Scum in other words....

Exactly.

The ref gave the wrong penalty, for some reason that must mean Orford took a dive.

If he'd got up laughing like Jarrod Hayne or Paul Gallen then I'd think it was pretty poor form but everything leans towards him really being injured and for those with eyes that aren't painted on you can see the blood being spat out on the field (must be from his mouth when his head was never hit).

I'd love to see how half the doctors in training on here would feel after running full pace into the back of a 115kg forward trying to charge your kick down.

I reckon most would break out in tears.