What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Can just see the Government allowing it to happen. They'd immediately pass legislation giving ASADA jurisdiction over all professional sporting codes in Australia.

Hanscholo

Bench
The WADA code is backed by the state and federal governments. The NRL would lose a lot, and could possibly be forced to close.

adamkungl

Immortal
wouldnt be able to compete internationally is another thing.

Nonsense. Rugby League is a relatively small international sport with 3 major powers having any influence whatsoever.

Say the worst happens and the WADA code dictates that entire clubs are suspended from competition. If the NRL refuses, does anyone really think that NZ and England will argue against Australia's participation in Internationals?

The WADA code is simply not suitable for the current situation. Worst case scenario, it has the potential to tear apart multiple clubs, ruin upwards of 20 seemingly innocent playing careers, all because of the suspected actions of a very small group of people.

The government support that Rugby League receives is not worth a fraction of the damage that could be caused by this.

Who will the fans get behind, Rugby League or the f**king government and ASADA/WADA?

Credibility

Please. Respect and credibility are not handed out by an organisation on the other side of the world.

Respect and credibility are not earned by tearing an entire competition to pieces over an alleged dodgy trainer handing out maybe dodgy substances for a few weeks.

The NRLs actions should not be dictated by WADA. Punishments should be handed out because they are fair, not because an organisation in Switzerland with no reason to have any influence here says so.

adamkungl

Immortal
The WADA code is backed by the state and federal governments. The NRL would lose a lot, and could possibly be forced to close.

What gives the government that power, and even if it did exist why would they be stupid enough to try it? Shutting down the NRL or AFL would be political suicide the likes of which this country has never seen.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Geez kungl, go have a bex and a lie down before you burst a vein. The fallout from this current business will go as far toward destroying rugby league as the two salary cap scandals did - i.e. not an inch.

Hanscholo

Bench
What gives the government that power, and even if it did exist why would they be stupid enough to try it? Shutting down the NRL or AFL would be political suicide the likes of which this country has never seen.

I believe they can compel sports to be a part of the code. WADA has investigative powers, that means the government extends those powers to them. It would be a massive deal to go outside of that. Then there is the idea that the NRL can actually manage doping themselves, which they cant, not even close.

What i would like to see however is WADA brought further into line with the australian system of justice. This inquisition style shit we are being put thru has no place in our legal system. The leak and go quiet tactic is a well used one, i am tired of it. I agree with David Smith. Put resources on it, get it over ASAP - OR f**k OFF.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Geez kungl, go have a bex and a lie down before you burst a vein. The fallout from this current business will go as far toward destroying rugby league as the two salary cap scandals did - i.e. not an inch.

x2.

Giving WADA and ASADA the bird would destroy the game.

Diesel

Referee
If the Sharks relocate, and ex-employees want to sue the club, is the relocated club the same entity?

Status
Not open for further replies.