What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ek999

First Grade
If the Sharks relocate, and ex-employees want to sue the club, is the relocated club the same entity?

No. You would set up a separate entity and grant then the licence. I'm pretty sure the Sharks brand belongs to the ARLC

grouch

First Grade
lol straight from the mind of a Roosters fan.

Kungl I know you want to be best bumchums with the Cronulla fans but this is a wank too far

Canucks

Juniors
My understanding is that the NRL don't have to cooperate. They can withdraw as a signature to WADA & ASADA. The consequence of that would be to lose federal funding, which may have an impact at grass roots....

Lets say they withdraw as a signature, would that then force ASADA to put their cards on the table? If the NRL say 'we are not a signature unless the Govt give adequate resourses to the investigation' could this help the situation in the same way it helped Qantas in their dispute with the unions?

It would force the issue back to the government, they would have to either allocate the funding or scrap the investigation. Sure we wouldnt get to play England, but I'm not sure the players care

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...0d91e1692399bf3d008e24aa#.UT5HnxtORD8.twitter

I'm going to sue the Cronulla Sharks, says veteran doctor Dave Givney

by: Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read
March 12, 2013 12:00AM

VETERAN Cronulla doctor Dave Givney has become the first official to hit back at the Sharks over his sacking after confirming last night he was taking legal action against the club he served tirelessly for 28 years.

Givney, head trainer Mark Noakes, physiotherapist Konrad Schultz and football manager Darren Mooney were dismissed last Friday while head coach Shane Flanagan was stood down pending a review for failing to inform the board of alleged doping practices at the club in 2011.

Givney was the first to sound the alarm over the methods of controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank at the Sharks - Dank is under investigation for his work at clubs across the NRL and AFL - and even tendered his resignation to Flanagan and Mooney. It was rejected.

Givney met his lawyer Sam Macedone at his Miranda offices last night to consider his options. The veteran doctor was stunned at his sacking after being a loyal servant to the struggling club. Givney was also the Australian and NSW doctor during his career.

"After meeting with my lawyer today I've decided to take legal action," Givney said last night.

"I have no desire to do anything to harm the club but I'm forced to leave matters in the hands of my lawyers at this time."

It is believed that Macedone has already issued the Cronulla club with a cease-and-desist letter to prevent directors from referring to Givney publicly.

Meanwhile, interim Cronulla coach Peter Sharp holds grave fears for the wellbeing of several players after yesterday revealing the strain the doping scandal had placed on the team.

"They're in pieces, mate," Sharp said. "There's blokes that haven't slept for days. There's blokes that have lost weight. I'm seriously worried about them. I've got two boys the same age and I wouldn't like them to be put under this sort of pressure."

Players returned to Sharks Stadium yesterday for a recovery session where they slipped into ice baths and had massages after Sunday night's win over the Titans. Sharp, Cronulla captain Paul Gallen and centre Ben Pomeroy caught up with Flanagan and Noakes yesterday following the club's emotional 12-10 win over the Gold Coast at Sharks Stadium on Sunday night. "He's a mate and we get together and talk about footy," Sharp said.

Gallen looked distressed after the match and it is believed he is one of several players to have lost weight since the doping scandal broke last week. Players were allegedly told they would face six-month bans if they co-operated with the ASADA investigation or risk two years if they didn't. It is believed the six-month offer expired last night.

The Sharks' next assignment will be South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Monday night and at this stage Sharp has no plans to stand down anyone. However, he said he would not be afraid to step in and make a tough call if he thought players were suffering too much stress after NRL chief executive Dave Smith said the ASADA investigation could drag on for a month. "I wouldn't hesitate in giving a couple of them a rest, but they don't want to rest. They all want to desperately play."

The speculation continued yesterday that chairman Damian Irvine was poised to stand down from his position - or already had - after going public on Sunday and confirming that players had been administered with horse drugs in 2011.

The Sharks will receive some relief tomorrow when former Brisbane boss Bruno Cullen is expected to arrive at the club. Cullen has been recruited by the NRL along with a financial officer and a welfare officer to provide help.

The situation has again raised concerns over the Sharks' financial future - they still have a debt of more than $3 million - which has prompted speculation the club might have to look at moving in order to survive. The bid chief of the Perth-based West Coast Pirates consortium said he would be willing to discuss the situation with the NRL, but that it would need to be done properly or risk irreparable damage to the sport.

Perth has been mooted as one potential destination should the NRL decide to shut down the Sharks' southern Sydney base.

Canard

Immortal
"They're in pieces, mate," Sharp said. "There's blokes that haven't slept for days. There's blokes that have lost weight. I'm seriously worried about them. I've got two boys the same age and I wouldn't like them to be put under this sort of pressure."

Odd choice of wording from Sharpie, a cynic could read a lot into that.

bottle

Coach
I know she probably went over the top at the press conference, but if she said zero and had not commented since; don't you believe the press would be saying - where is the Sports Minister?

Floor of Parliament answering a Dorothy Dixer m4e. That's where a smart polly would have fielded any questions. Along with a public statement to the effect of 'I won't be making any public comments whilst an inquiry is underway'.
Dumb politicking all up.

Yesterday Ms Lundy denied the government had gone missing since its sensational release of the Australian Crime Commission report which sparked the controversy in February.

She told The Daily Telegraph she had spoken to Mr Smith "a week or so ago".

"I am making sure I am well briefed and where it us up to," she said."

Ms Lundy said she would consider boosting the number of ASADA investigators, if the agency requested it.

But she said the government could not pressure ASADA to speed up its investigations.

"We will of course monitor ASADA's needs in that area. If they need further boosting we will of course look at it," she said.

Ms Lundy also warned clubs not to interfere with the process or integrity of the investigation.
Why is she not asked the question about Vlad trying to interfere & do dodgy deals to save Essington

Diesel

Referee
Come September these clowns will be voted out. I'll take a stab and also say the sports minister isn't a sports fan either

Loudstrat

Coach
WTF would relocation prove? If the brand is f*cked in Cronulla, it will be f*cked everywhere. The brand is the problem, not the district it represents!

Canard

Immortal
The relocation thing sounds like the shittest idea ever. Lets take a club that is broken down with huge PR issues and force them down the throats of another area.

That would be about as popular as c**k flavoured lollipops (or was they were know the Northern Eagles)

Diesel

Referee
I don't agree. If relocation is on the cards, Sharkies supporters would still have a team to support and would see them play in their city at least 6 times a year.

Not every NRL fan lives in the same city as their club and they still support them.

The brand can be repaired, look at the Bulldogs brand for example

Canard

Immortal
I don't agree. If relocation is on the cards, Sharkies supporters would still have a team to support and would see them play in their city at least 6 times a year.

Not every NRL fan lives in the same city as their club and they still support them.

That was only "broken" in Rebbeca Wilson and the DT eyes, the Doggies have always been one of the best supported and attended clubs in the NRL, and have far ranging support all across Australia.

Regardless, Im not looking at it from the perspective of existing supporters, Im talking about the new ones that it will be forced upon. Why start so far behind the 8 ball with a "relocated" team.

If it ever got that bad (and I dont think it will) surely start a new team in Brisbane, Perth etc. with there own identity rather than send one that has massive issues.

ek999

First Grade
That was only "broken" in Rebbeca Wilson and the DT eyes, the Doggies have always been one of the best supported and attended clubs in the NRL, and have far ranging support all across Australia.

Regardless, Im not looking at it from the perspective of existing supporters, Im talking about the new ones that it will be forced upon. Why start so far behind the 8 ball with a "relocated" team.

If it ever got that bad (and I dont think it will) surely start a new team in Brisbane, Perth etc. with there own identity rather than send one that has massive issues.

We literally couldn't give away our major sponsor spot a couple of years ago. Took Greenberg 6 months to get Camp Quality to agree to be on the jersey

Loudstrat

Coach

Again, wtf would relocation prove? There is a problem within the club, not within the club's district. So you think we keep the problem, and kill the good bits?

Any f*cking excuse just to f*ck Sydney fans and fill dots on the map..........

Canard

Immortal
We literally couldn't give away our major sponsor spot a couple of years ago. Took Greenberg 6 months to get Camp Quality to agree to be on the jersey

Understood, but this happens to all clubs from time to time.

The Dogs were going through this whilst playing in front of 30K regularly, getting huge TV ratings, having a massive membership base and being the No.1 club covered in the Sydney press.

To me its not even on the same planet as what would ever force a team to close or be "re-located" and pissing off a whole fan base whilst "rewarding" the current admin.

juro

Bench
Surely if it got to that stage, the NRL would simply revoke the Sharks' license and bring in a new team. Who would want that sort of baggage when starting up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts