What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

TheManBearPig

Juniors
1. B. Stewrart (Played great last series)
2. B. Morris
3. Jennings
4. J. Morris
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. A. Reynolds
8. Gallen
9. Farrah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. T. Williams
13. Bird

14. Watmough
15. T. Sims
16. Grant
17. Woods

Señor

Juniors
Absolutely B Moz deserves to keep his spot. He and his brother were stellar for NSW last year

Aku needs to work on his defence and work under the high ball. Qld know how to neutralise his dangerous running

Josh Morris was stellar last year? I think some of your superlatives are a bit over the top there.

Brett Morris was very good in Game 3 but does that automatically clear the slate from all his previous Origin performances? I would pick Morris ahead of Uate but I don't think Brett has his spot cemented by any means.

Josh Morris was stellar last year? I think some of your superlatives are a bit over the top there.

Brett Morris was very good in Game 3 but does that automatically clear the slate from all his previous Origin performances? I would pick Morris ahead of Uate but I don't think Brett has his spot cemented by any means.

I used to be Brett Morris' biggest critic, but he has definitely improved last year. he hasn't cemented his spot no, but I think he deserves it at least for the first game. Josh Morris wasn't sensational with his attack but he was solid with his defence on that side against inglis, I wasn't a big fan of him or Jennings in the centers, but them two definitely made me eat my words last year. I think Josh will be better for it this year with Glenn Stewart the ball hog not likely to be selected.

1. B. Stewrart (Played great last series)
2. B. Morris
3. Jennings
4. J. Morris
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. A. Reynolds
8. Gallen
9. Farrah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. T. Williams
13. Bird

14. Watmough
15. T. Sims
16. Grant
17. Woods

our teams are pretty much the same bar 2 players, but what I don't don't understand is having both Grant and woods on the bench. Gallen plays the full 80 easy, so that means only Tamou needs the break. Why have two props on the bench? If any injuries were to happen in the game, Watmough, Sims or Williams could easily be pushed upfront.

GB!

Juniors
hayne is playing like a busted!
but 'tards still pick him at fullback over brett stewart???

its not '09 anymore, stewart was solid last series for NSW

BennyV

Referee
1. Stewart/Gorden
2. B. Morris
3. J. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Uate/Gordon
6. Maloney/Sutton
7. A. Reynolds
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Merrin

14. Grant
15. T. Sims
16. James/Woods
17. J.Reynolds

Josh Reynolds is an ideal utility, basically a better/angrier version of Gidley. Sorry Luke Lewis, this year and last year have been a bit of a flop for you. Same with G.Stewart, who isn't as good without Lyon outside of him. Gallen CAN play the 80, but doesn't need to. Sims deserves his spot and Ryan James/Aaron Woods should be blooded off the bench. Whoever is fullback needs to follow Merrin/Bird/Gallen like a shadow and watch the linebreaks come. Maloney would be my preferred 5/8 based on form, but Sutton would be a suitable backup due to his understanding with A.Reynolds.

Rod

Bench
hayne is playing like a busted!
but 'tards still pick him at fullback over brett stewart???

its not '09 anymore, stewart was solid last series for NSW

Every year Hayne plays average for the Eels and then always steps up big time for Origin. He thrives with better players around him.

The '09 comment is funny because if it's applicable to anyone it's B. Stewart. I don't get the fuss that still surrounds him or his brother TBH, both were 'solid' last year but are replaceable by players who have surpassed them IMO. If not Hayne then Gordon.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Brett Stewart is shite at Origin level. Good support runner and that's it.

Glenn Stewart could be decent if he tried to use some footwork and ball-play, but he only runs straight in Origin which he's simply not that good at.

Last edited:
Uate is the best club winger in the game but I agree that he's wasted in Origin if he can't get given any decent attacking opportunities.

In attack he is a weapon.
In defence a liability.Still has trouble reading play & JT will come to his side & Uate will be caught out.

Morris is also a weapon & far safer in Defence.

As a QLDER i hope they pick Uate.

Señor

Juniors
Every year Hayne plays average for the Eels and then always steps up big time for Origin. He thrives with better players around him.

The '09 comment is funny because if it's applicable to anyone it's B. Stewart. I don't get the fuss that still surrounds him or his brother TBH, both were 'solid' last year but are replaceable by players who have surpassed them IMO. If not Hayne then Gordon.

Hayne is a better player these days anyway. He has gone from a brilliant broken play runner to a well-rounded fullback who has a brilliant long-passing game and a good short-passing game.

He might not be in the same blistering form as in 2009 but he is also playing in much weaker teams. And if you watch the Eels play from 2010-2012 you'd notice that basically every win they had was courtesy of a Jarryd Hayne MOTM performance. He almost dragged them into the finals in 2010 single-handedly, played a lone hand in 2011 and his injury in 2012 ruined any chance the Eels had. But because the Eels were doing shit people think that Hayne is shit, when all it really shows is that he can't carry a bad team all by himself (which is not an issue since even Thurston struggled to do that from 2008-2010).

It just shows how much people base their analysis of a player on (a) his team's success and (b) whether there are any amazing highlights that get shown on the news.

Hayne shouldn't be picked for NSW at fullback because of his play in 2009. He should be picked because he is a brilliant player and has developed into one of the best ball-playing fullbacks of the last decade. Not to mention the fact that he also steps up for NSW regardless of his club form (as you mentioned).

Señor

Juniors
Stewart was not good last series.

I think he was. He was safe and his positioning at fullback was very good. He provided top class support play from fullback. That is what you are going to get from Stewart and that is what he provided.

The only issue IMO is whether you want something more from your fullback, like ball-playing.

timka4

Bench
Agreed, I thought Stewart did what Stewart offers and he did it well. Not sure if it's what we need, I like Hayne, but I want too see him run the ball more rather than trying to always throw the pass.

Personally I liked Hayne at left centre, Jennings is good once more I'm not sure if he creates enough, he is more suited for broken play which there isn't much of.

Something like
1. Stewart
2. B. Morris
3. Hayne
4. J. Morris
5. Gordon

I wouldn't mind, but regardless of what combination we go, it won't matter because they are all talented, it's our halves once more that will decide our series

chrisD

Coach
He brought the ball back very weakly and made QLD's kicks better than they were by not attacking the ball.

Pazza

First Grade
Stewart
Hayne
Morris
Jennings
Uate
Tba
Pearce
Grant
Farrah
Tamou
Bird
Lewis
Gallen

A Reynolds
Mannah
Watmough
G Stewart

Stewert's problem was that his kick returns were weak.

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Grant
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Sims
16. Lewis
17. Williams

timka4

Bench
As a big club fan of Uate, I still don't trust him defensively, I'd prefer Gordon at right wing. Also you can't be seriously naming Williams in the origin side

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I think he was. He was safe and his positioning at fullback was very good. He provided top class support play from fullback. That is what you are going to get from Stewart and that is what he provided.

The only issue IMO is whether you want something more from your fullback, like ball-playing.
Brett Stewart couldn't break through wet paper let alone a defensive line. Yeah he's solid, but solid won't beat QLD.

Hayne is the perfect ball-playing fullback to accommodate our shit halves, otherwise it will be Farah trying to create everything again.

Hutty1986

Immortal
He brought the ball back very weakly and made QLD's kicks better than they were by not attacking the ball.

+1, that's my concern with Snake. Fairly reliable but so casual and barely sprints back for kick returns, cleaning up clearing kicks, etc. Glenn Stewart very ordinary at SOO level last year too.

Señor

Juniors
Brett Stewart couldn't break through wet paper let alone a defensive line. Yeah he's solid, but solid won't beat QLD.

No? He was solid last year and NSW came within 1 point of a series victory. The closest they've been in years. I think having a solid fullback isn't bad at all if your halves can create points.

Good positioning defensively and support play are very valuable to a team and nobody is going to provide that better than Stewart. Select some proper halves (ie. shift Carney to halfback and bring in another creative half to partner him) and Stewart doesn't look so bad IMO.

Latest posts