What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

chrisD

Coach
1. Hayne
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Morris
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Bird
12. ???
13. Merrin

14. Woods
15. ???
16. ???
17. ???

Stewart, Lewis, Watmough, Sims, Graham, James, Mason.

Jono078

Referee
If I was picking the team right it would be;

1 Michael Gordon
2 Jarryd Hayne
3 Michael Jennings
4 Josh Morris
5 Brett Morris
6 Jarrod Mullen
7 Adam Reynolds
8 James Tamou
9 Robbie Farah
10 Tim Grant
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Greg Bird
13 Paul Gallen
--
14 Trent Merrin
15 Willie Mason / Aaron Woods / Andrew Fifita
16 Wade Graham / Luke Lewis / Tony Williams
17 Todd Carney

chrisD

Coach
All 3 of those props are playing better football than Grant who can't hold a starting spot against Plum, and was not one of the best 5 front rowers in the last game he played.

And wtf has Gordon done in the last 12 months to deserve the fullback spot?

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
This is what Daley will pick

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Brett Morris
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Tim Grant
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Glenn Stewart
12. Greg Bird
13. Paul Gallen (c)
Interchange
14. Tony Williams
15. Luke Lewis
16. Ben Creagh
17. Anthony Watmough

Why change a winning formula? lol

big hit!

Bench
Gallen needs to play up front. He hogs the ball when he plays in the back row. Prop is his position and no one is better than him at it.

Bullshit - Tamou & Scott eat him alive for effectiveness. For all the BS metres he makes on all his BS runs, he doesn't put the defence on the back foot in the middle they way those two and others can.

He's undersized for a prop and will hog the ball there anyway. NSW need to be effective and the only chance they have to get on top of them is to have a proper 4 big man prop rotation that can dominate the middle, not this BS Stuart had with Gallen, Tamou, Merrin, & Creagh. He even had Watmough in there. Bird has been very good on the left edge where his created problems and allowed Jennings and Hayne to get free. But Orgin has to be dominated in the middle. Momemtum and getting the merkin toads on the back foot. Then and only then will NSW halves have a chance to do something.

Gordon, Merritt, Morris are all better choices than Uate who is a proven failure at this level

In 2011 he was the second best player NSW had, behind Gallen. Last yeah his confidence was shot and really struggled under the high ball and he didn't get a chance to do what he did best because that ball hog Glen Stewart didn't pass the fuxking ball.

Last edited:
Bullshit - Tamou & Scott eat him alive for effectiveness. For all the BS metres he makes on all his BS runs, he doesn't put the defence on the back foot in the middle they way those two and others can.

He's undersized for a prop and will hog the ball there anyway. NSW need to be effective and the only chance they have to get on top of them is to have a proper 4 big man prop rotation that can dominate the middle, not this BS Stuart had with Gallen, Tamou, Merrin, & Creagh. He even had Watmough in there. Bird has been very good on the left edge where his created problems and allowed Jennings and Hayne to get free. But Orgin has to be dominated in the middle. Momemtum and getting the merkin toads on the back foot. Then and only then will NSW halves have a chance to do something.

Have you even watched state of origin? When he plays up front he always takes the ball forward and attracts 3-4 defenders in the tackle and he does it for the whole 80 minutes. When you play Prop you're not really meant to pass the ball much so he's meant to hog the ball. He may be undersized but he's doesn't a lack power, fitness and most importantly he's competitive spirit. Over the course of the 80mins he's far more effective than Tamou or Scott.

jezmond

Juniors
you'd rather have brett morris or merritt?

I know this post wasn't directed towards me, but Merritt and B Moz are much more complete players than Uate, Akuila will get another chance in his career but Game 1 this year is not when that chance should come.

If the NSW selectors pick him I can see him being found out badly, i think B.Morris deserves to retain his spot in the team ahead of Merritt, but would understand if they decide to give Merritt a chance.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Absolutely B Moz deserves to keep his spot. He and his brother were stellar for NSW last year

Aku needs to work on his defence and work under the high ball. Qld know how to neutralise his dangerous running

timka4

Bench
I agreed that Gallen should be in the 8 or 10, he was less effective when he went back to lock in the 3rd game and his ball playing is yet to be desired in the rep arena. Bird on the left and Lewis on the right can help distribute the ball to their centres/wingers, run hard, and defend well. Fensom in the middle to do what he does best imo. Love a lock like Fensom

Tommy Smith

Referee
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Michael Gordon
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. John Sutton
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Tim Grant
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Greg Bird
13. Paul Gallen

14. Aaron Woods
15. Andrew Fafita
16. Trent Merrin
17. Wade Graham

It was hard to leave out the likes of Brett Stewart, and Ryan Hoffman & Luke Lewis in a stacked backrow. But i reckon NSW should look to overwhelm QLD with size and second phase play. Hence Hayne at fullback with Sutton in the halves.

Reynolds MUST play. His kicking game and ability to gain repeat sets is imperative. The way he gets Souths 3 or 4 sets on the opposition line through line drop-outs is brilliant. Contrast that with Pearce who has forced about 3 or 4 line drop-outs his entire career.

Rod

Bench
Uate is the best club winger in the game but I agree that he's wasted in Origin if he can't get given any decent attacking opportunities. He does have weaknesses in defence reads and the high ball although by the same token these issues get exaggerated on here. What he needs is decent halves and a centre who can provide him good early ball and actual line-breaking opportunities. If we have Stewart at fullback, the other Stewart on the right and Pearce at halfback then I agree there's not as much to gain in picking him. For me right now:

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Mullen
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Lewis
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Mason
16. Watmough
17. Up for grabs - Graham, Williams, Sims etc.

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Michael Gordon
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. John Sutton
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Tim Grant
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Greg Bird
13. Paul Gallen

14. Aaron Woods
15. Andrew Fafita
16. Trent Merrin
17. Wade Graham

It was hard to leave out the likes of Brett Stewart, and Ryan Hoffman & Luke Lewis in a stacked backrow. But i reckon NSW should look to overwhelm QLD with size and second phase play. Hence Hayne at fullback with Sutton in the halves.

Reynolds MUST play. His kicking game and ability to gain repeat sets is imperative. The way he gets Souths 3 or 4 sets on the opposition line through line drop-outs is brilliant. Contrast that with Pearce who has forced about 3 or 4 line drop-outs his entire career.

leaving lewis out is insane.

1. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. Jennings
4. J. Morris
5. Gordon
6. Carney
7. A. Reynolds
8. Gallen
9. Farrah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis