What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

Allstar Knights

Juniors
No? He was solid last year and NSW came within 1 point of a series victory. The closest they've been in years. I think having a solid fullback isn't bad at all if your halves can create points.

Good positioning defensively and support play are very valuable to a team and nobody is going to provide that better than Stewart. Select some proper halves (ie. shift Carney to halfback and bring in another creative half to partner him) and Stewart doesn't look so bad IMO.
We went close last year, but we also may have won the series if a guy like Hayne was at fullback.

Daley has pretty much confirmed that the #7 will be Pearce, so I can't see where the spark will come from in the spine other than from Farah. Carney is the best attacking half we have, but he looks like he's about to shit himself in Origin. He did ok in Game 3, so I'm hoping he can now control his nerves after already playing an Origin series.

aqua_duck

Coach
Stewert's problem was that his kick returns were weak.

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Grant
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Sims
16. Lewis
17. Williams
4 backrowers on the bench, simply won't happen.
I like your starting side but my bench would be;
14.Merrin
15.Lewis
16.Woods
17.Fifita

Señor

Juniors
We went close last year, but we also may have won the series if a guy like Hayne was at fullback.

On what basis? I agree that Hayne is a better fullback but I don't necessarily buy into the idea that Hayne would have been enough to sway the series.

In Hayne's two games at fullback NSW lost and Hayne produced almost nothing. In fact he really only had a hand in one try (which was more of a lucky bounce and half-break rather than ball-playing or a strong running game) and then would have set up another one except Brett Morris bombed it. Then you have to remember that exchanging Hayne for Stewart also means that your fullback isn't anywhere near as safe or positionally sound. In addition you lose a lot of Stewart's great support play, which undoubtedly contributed to a few of NSW's tries.

I personally go for Hayne at fullback too but I don't think it is a clear cut decision. Both players offer a lot.

Daley has pretty much confirmed that the #7 will be Pearce, so I can't see where the spark will come from in the spine other than from Farah. Carney is the best attacking half we have, but he looks like he's about to shit himself in Origin. He did ok in Game 3, so I'm hoping he can now control his nerves after already playing an Origin series.

If Carney finds his feet then that will provide the attacking spark. He just needs to settle in and find his feet, which he hopefully should have after 2012.

NSW would be better off shifting Carney to halfback anyway and bringing in Campese (if fit) or Mullen anyway. Pearce offers nothing to the team and a halves pairing of Carney and Campese/Mullen would provide a better all-round game.

Señor

Juniors
4 backrowers on the bench, simply won't happen.
I like your starting side but my bench would be;
14.Merrin
15.Lewis
16.Woods
17.Fifita

4 backrowers on the bench wouldn't work at all (except maybe in Ricky Stuart's mind) but 3 props on the bench isn't going to work either.

big hit!

Bench
our teams are pretty much the same bar 2 players, but what I don't don't understand is having both Grant and woods on the bench. Gallen plays the full 80 easy, so that means only Tamou needs the break. Why have two props on the bench? If any injuries were to happen in the game, Watmough, Sims or Williams could easily be pushed upfront.

for a prop to be really effective, he needs to have a spell. I don't give a shit if Gallen plays 80mins a week at CRO. He still defends closer to the edge than in the middle and not in the conventional prop position. Props defend in the middle of the park, they do the bulk of the work in defence.

Daley needs to pick a 4-man prop rotation to keep the middle 3rd of the field fresh, and to provide that extra big boppa to continually hit the line and give the team momentum.

Forwards and their roles aren't all the same. On paper, NSW may have an abundance of edge forwards that seem better than the props, but using these undersized forwards as props is practically handing the shield to the QLDers. Tamou proved what middle penetration can do. It ended whenever he came off because Stuart would use Watmough or Creagh in the middle who were dominated by any combination of QLDs Civ, Scott, Hannant & Shillo. If NSW don't have a continuous rotation of big men in the middle throughout the game, then momentum in this area can be stifled and the halves opportunities reduced. In fact, they'll be like Lambs to the slaughter. Last year, it was strength on the edges from guys like Bird against Thaiday that provided the spark. Back this up in the middle and NSW can continually get QLD on the back foot and any spud half can have a chance at looking like a star.

Last edited:

Changa

Juniors
Hayne
Morris
Morris
Jennings
Uate
Maloney
Pearce
Gallen
Farah
Tamou
Bird
Lewis
Merrin

Fifita
Watmough
Stewart
J Reynolds

SydneyRaider9

Juniors
1. Stewart/Hayne
2. Gordon/Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J. Morris... Can Michael Gordon play centre?
5. Uate
6. Maloney/Carney/Mullen.. I'd be happy with any.
7. A. Reynolds
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Lewis?

14. Gidley or J. Reynolds
15. Merrin
16. G. Stewart
17. Kite

Lack of props in NSW atm.

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
1. Stewart/Hayne
2. Gordon/Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J. Morris... Can Michael Gordon play centre?
5. Uate
6. Maloney/Carney/Mullen.. I'd be happy with any.
7. A. Reynolds
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Lewis?

14. Gidley or J. Reynolds
15. Merrin
16. G. Stewart
17. Kite

Lack of props in NSW atm.

Please Kite in front of Woods. What drugs are you on. Woods has been going great for the last 12 months and deserves his chance . Fafita should not be chosen after a few good games. Lets see how he goes this season. He might be a chance next year.

aqua_duck

Coach
4 backrowers on the bench wouldn't work at all (except maybe in Ricky Stuart's mind) but 3 props on the bench isn't going to work either.

Merrin isn't a prop anymore he's an 80 min backrower. Woods is an out and out prop but Fifita (and Tamou for that matter) are athletic enough to play backrow

chrisD

Coach
Far too many teams without Woods. The 3 best forwards the start of this season have been Burgess, Merrin and Woods.

timka4

Bench
Tamou and Grant will be picked on incumbency and so they should imo. Woods does deserve a bench spot as well, Gallen 4th prop and we have great go forward. Merrin probably does deserve his bench spot back, but will be up again Watmough (good form to the season, experieced, proven performer) and I think W.Graham.

SydneyRaider9

Juniors
Please Kite in front of Woods. What drugs are you on. Woods has been going great for the last 12 months and deserves his chance . Fafita should not be chosen after a few good games. Lets see how he goes this season. He might be a chance next year.

Won't be too much difference either way tbh

big hit!

Bench
FB: Hayne
RW: Uate
RC: J Morris
LC: Jennings
LW: B Morris
FE: Mullen
HB: Carney
DH: Farah
RF: Lewis
LF: Bird
P: Tamou
P: Grant
R: Gallen
I: Watmough
I: Merrin
I: Woods
I: Mason

I only have 1 Manly player in this team. I think the Stewart brothers are good players at club, but I think they're largely ineffective when out of the Manly line up. The nexus IMO is Lyon. If he was available, I'd pick him at RC in less than a heartbeat, and then proceed to select B Stewart @ FB & G Stewart @ RF, and then NSW would seriously have a trio that can threaten down that the right edge.

FB: B Stewart
RW: Uate
RC: Lyon
LC: J Morris
LW: Hayne
FE: Mullen
HB: Carney
DH: Farah
RF: G Stewart
LF: Bird
P: Tamou
P: Grant
R: Gallen
I: Lewis
I: Watmough
I: Woods
I: Mason

but that's a hypothetical pipe dream

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
I think this year NSW have a good selection of halves to choose from:

Carney
Mullen
Reynolds x 2
Maloney

However, they just don't compare to the likes of Cronk and JT...

QLD also have Barba, Slater, Inglis somewhere in the backline and I don't know if we can match them.

Hayne and Uate are the only ones I would say go anywhere near their class but both of them have been average this year (for their lofty standards).

aqua_duck

Coach
Tamou and Grant will be picked on incumbency and so they should imo. Woods does deserve a bench spot as well, Gallen 4th prop and we have great go forward. Merrin probably does deserve his bench spot back, but will be up again Watmough (good form to the season, experieced, proven performer) and I think W.Graham.

Watmough will be starting, Merrin has to be there, he has been Gallen like this year for St George, can play prop or backrow, high workrate and can create something out of nothing with his footwork and offloading ability.

Señor

Juniors
Merrin isn't a prop anymore he's an 80 min backrower. Woods is an out and out prop but Fifita (and Tamou for that matter) are athletic enough to play backrow

:lol: Merrin an 80 minute backrower? The guy has never played more than 70 minutes in his NRL career but he is now an 80 minute backrower?

Merrin is a prop and he is making a transition to lock where he will most likely play longer minutes. However, he is still a middle third player and the only difference in his role is that he will do more roving in defence and will play longer minutes. Otherwise he is essentially like Nate Myles or Paul Gallen (when Flanagan isn't screwing around with him on the fringes) and is basically like a third prop in the backrow. His game will still revolve around ruck defence, tight hit-ups and offloads.

So essentially you are constructing a team with 6 middle third players in Grant, Tamou, Gallen, Merrin, Fifita and Woods. That is a waste of your bench because you can't utilise all those players effectively. If you try you'll end up resting valuable players like Gallen or Tamou for too long while your fringe-second rowers like Bird, Lewis and Watmough will be required to play long minutes.

There is a reason that no teams use 3 middle third players off the bench and it is because you need more speed and mobility. Otherwise the team is going to be powerful through the middle of the field but really slow and cumbersome. As the game opens up you don't want more big forwards like Merrin or Fifita coming on.

Won't be too much difference either way tbh

Big difference between Woods and Kite tbh. Woods makes significantly more metres and significantly more tackles. Not to mention the fact that he is much younger and is the future of the NSW pack.

Kite has been tried in Origin before and wasn't that impressive even in his prime. I struggle to see him doing a good job now that he is in the back end of his career. Picking Kite would be a huge step backwards.

aqua_duck

Coach
Merrin is more than capable of playing on the fringes, and I certainly wouldn't classify him as a 'big forward', I personally think he affords you great flexibility but is wasted as a prop who just carts it up. Bird plays 80 mins everyweek as an edge forward, Watmough is capable of 80 and so is Lewis. At origin level you won't get more than 40mins out of Grant, Tamou can go 40-50 mins, Woods on debut should get about 40 and I'd personally use Fifita in short sharp spells

Allstar Knights

Juniors
After now seeing a fair amount of footy this year, here is my team:

1. Hayne
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. J Morris
5. B Morris
6. Mullen - mainly want him in for his long kicking game.
7. Carney
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Watmough
12. Bird
13. Gallen - play him for 60 minutes then bring Merrin on. He doesn't need to stay on.

14. Lewis
15. Merrin
16. Grant
17. Fifita

Not sure about the halves, well I know Pearce will be the 7 so it's probably pointless of me trying to pick Mullen and Carney tbh. But, I'm pretty confident that our huge forward pack can roll Qld's, so Mullen and Carney would have more time to kick long and also spread the ball wide which they are both very good at.

Last edited:

bellyache

Bench
After now seeing a fair amount of footy this year, here is my team:

1. Hayne
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. J Morris
5. B Morris
6. Mullen - mainly want him in for his long kicking game.
7. Carney
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Watmough
12. Bird
13. Gallen - play him for 60 minutes then bring Merrin on. He doesn't need to stay on.

14. Lewis
15. Merrin
16. Grant
17. Fifita

Not sure about the halves, well I know Pearce will be the 7 so it's probably pointless of me trying to pick Mullen and Carney tbh. But, I'm pretty confident that our huge forward pack can roll Qld's, so Mullen and Carney would have more time to kick long and also spread the ball wide which they are both very good at.
:lol::lol: Your opinion has elevated your wanker status..:D