What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 3 discussion thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
NorthShoreEel said:
I still dont believe Hodgson is SOO material. I dont know what/who the answer is, but, in the rough n tough of SOO, he just lacks the composure. Every time he gets the ball, I feel like I am watching Paul Carige.
When he passed that last "magical" pass, I could see it split seconds before it happened, and screamed a profanity that had everyone in the pub look at me. I could feel it in my bones - he was going to choke.

IMO - Simpson had an enormous game - NEVER stopped trying - should be proud of his effort.

I think he got found out

most of his kick returns he linked up with his wingers, so he couldn't get smashed

if he kicked those two reasonably easy try conversions, we win, despite his pathetic pass in the last 5 minutes

Hellsy

Immortal
INSULTED Queensland stars have identified a lack of personal respect by NSW rivals as the key motivation for the Maroons' drought-breaking Origin series win.

Forwards Nate Myles and Petero Civoniceva yesterday revealed the Maroons agreed at a team meeting prior to Wednesday night's 16-14 win in Melbourne that the Blues' players held little regard for them as a team or individuals. "We knew before Origin II they had no respect for us and we sat down before Origin III and we thought, 'If we ran into these boys in a bar, they'd still have no respect for us'," Myles said yesterday.
"We ran out with that and it fuelled us, and it was a terrific performance from the Queensland 17."
Myles' comments were backed by veteran Civoniceva.
"It's something we discussed during the camp: we just thought that the NSW side didn't have too high an opinion of us as an opposition," Civoniceva said.
"For a lot of us, we were really determined to prove them wrong and prove everyone else wrong."
In further evidence of bad blood between the teams, Blues forward Nathan Hindmarsh urged Queensland to shut up about their fabled passion.
With post-Origin feelings running high, a lot of emotion is assured in the lead-up to next year's series.
Civoniceva identified comments made by Blues giant Willie Mason last week that he didn't think Queensland could replicate their 30-6 Origin II performance as evidence of the absence of respect.
"Mase came out during the week and said he doubted that we could match what we did in game two and I think that was something, certainly, that spurred the boys on," the Broncos prop said.
Origin newcomer Myles said the joy of the series win was heightened by the legion of naysayers.
"We're always the underdogs. NSW always fancies themselves a bit better. So it is just a great feeling to win, everyone was so happy," Myles said. "It was unbelievable with the passion we have got back in the team again. It's like the Origin of old for Queensland – for us it's about the passion.
"What we have done in this series is going to restore a bit of that respect."
Maroons coach Mal Meninga hinted at the aggressive undercurrent in his team when he said after winning the decider: "The players deserve recognition and deserve respect from everybody outside this team.
"When are we ever favourites going into a series?
"When are we favourites, per game? It doesn't seem to happen.
"That's why we've got to continually earn respect out of critics and opinionated people and – certainly – the Blues."
Arriving in Sydney on the same flight as NSW, Myles' comments were luckily not made near Hindmarsh.
Quizzed as to whether Queensland held the edge in passion and desire in the Origin series, a testy Hindmarsh replied: "They talk about this passion year in, year out. They have no more passion than the Blues do, so I don't know where they come up with this stuff about Origin going to die if they didn't win.
"What a load of rubbish that is."
The Eels forward suggested it was time Queensland stopped banging their drums about being passionate underdogs.
"I think they have used it enough by now. They can go onto something new," Hindmarsh said.
Hindmarsh's sentiments were shared by teammate Mark O'Meley. "Our passion has always been as strong, we just don't talk about it as much. It's become like an urban legend up there," O'Meley said.
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,19707134-5001023,00.html

Bit full of themselves don't ya think :LOL: :LOL:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen this game analysed to death, and all this talk about pasion and Queensland had the better halves and sh*t

it was three tries a piece, and if Hodgson could convert relatively simple conversions, NSW would have won

then all the analysis and game reports would have been totally different

Hellsy

Immortal
THE bad blood that seemed to be missing for the entire State of Origin series finally rose to the surface yesterday when the Maroons claimed they were shown a lack of respect.

The Maroons were also incensed at what they perceived as the Blues rubbishing the famous Queensland spirit. As Origin III hero Johnathan Thurston jetted into Brisbane with the Origin Shield and his team-mates celebrated their first series win since 2001, NSW forwards Nathan Hindmarsh and Mark O'Meley vented their frustration following their defeat.
The Blues pair, with their vanquished team-mates, arrived in Sydney still coming to terms with their 16-14 loss at a sold-out Telstra Dome in Melbourne.
A despondent Hindmarsh couldn't contain his exasperation when asked whether Queensland had an edge in passion over the three games.
His animated reaction continued a theme started by winger Matt King immediately following the loss when he renounced talk of the Queensland's superior passion as "bullsh*t".
"They talk about this passion year-in, year-out with Queensland," Hindmarsh said.
"They have no more passion than the Blues so I don't know why they keep coming up with this stuff ... what a load of rubbish that is.
"I think they have used it enough by now. I think they should get onto something new."
O'Meley was equally dismissive when confronted with the same question.
"They need something to inspire them," O'Meley said. "It's always the passion, passion, passion. I think we have the same passion. I suppose they like to speak about it more than us."
While the Blues fumed at Queensland's ambit claim to passion, Maroons forward Nate Myles stoked the fires when he insisted his side had been shown no respect throughout the series. Myles revealed the Maroons had been motivated by a perceived lack of respect opposition following the loss in Origin I.
"We didn't rate ourselves as the underdogs, they rated us as the underdogs," Myles said.
"We knew before Game II they had no respect for us and we sat down before Game III and we thought 'if we ran into one of these boys in a bar or something they would still have no respect for us'. We went out there with that and it fuelled us.
"What we have done this series will restore a bit of respect."
It also ensured the long-term viability of the Origin concept. Queensland coach Mal Meninga had suggested the series could be in jeopardy if the Maroons became the first side to lose four series in succession.
Hindmarsh laughed off that claim yesterday. "It doesn't make a difference," he said. "It's still the best football in the world and if Queensland continued to lose, so be it. They have a great new group of young blokes coming through and they'll stamp their authority in Origin for years to come."
The Maroons were talking up their chances of a prolonged period of success yesterday. Meninga handed Origin debuts to 10 players, including several who could become long-term Queensland stars.
Adding lustre to Wednesday night's win was the absence of probable selections Greg Inglis, Karmichael Hunt, Ben Ross, Michael Crocker and Ty Williams through injury or suspension.
"After the match Mal sat us down and just pointed out how young and inexperienced this side really is and said the scary thing is we are only going to get better," prop Carl Webb said.
"He's right. Most of this group of players still have their best years of footy ahead of them. It's an exciting thing to be a part of and I can see this group doing some great things over the next few years."
While the Maroons were casting their gaze forward, the Blues were still looking back, wondering how they lost the unloseable. Questions are already being asked of the selectors' decision to name Mark Gasnier at five-eighth, a move which backfired as the world's best centre was kept in check.
"It's the quietest I have heard a dressing room after a loss," Hindmarsh said. "To lose it like that has probably been the worst defeat."

and more crap!
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19708632-5003340,00.html

James_Hardie said:
I can't agree with that. I think Hodgosn had a great game up until that last play. It was a Lucas Neil moment, played great (near our best) then one lack of concentration moment at the death and it was good night.

His tackle on Tate was close to the best tackle by a fullback you will ever see.

When Tate scored his runaway try, Hodgson couldnt keep up - he was over 20 metres behind - Beaver was running 2 to Hodgson's one. We need someone who can return the ball and run straight ahead. All night he was looking for someone to pass the ball to, on the kick return. Sorry, I think physically, he is too light and he knows it. Like I said before though, I dont know what the answer is, but, it isnt Hodgson.

James_Hardie

Juniors
NorthShoreEel said:
...We need someone who can return the ball and run straight ahead. All night he was looking for someone to pass the ball to, on the kick return. Sorry, I think physically, he is too light and he knows it. Like I said before though, I dont know what the answer is, but, it isnt Hodgson.

He made 9 kick returns to Tahu's 4 and Grothe's 1, so i am not sure how you can say he was looking to hand it off. He and Luke O'Donnell made more runs than anyone else in the team, and if you took out Eric's 95m intercept, he had more metres than anyone else in the side. He broke 8 tackles on the night. The next best were Hindmarsh and O'Donnell with 5 each.

I stand by the opinion that he was close to NSW's best.

dazeely

First Grade
Twizzle said:
I've seen this game analysed to death, and all this talk about pasion and Queensland had the better halves and sh*t

it was three tries a piece, and if Hodgson could convert relatively simple conversions, NSW would have won

then all the analysis and game reports would have been totally different

I can see a lot of 'if only' Twiz. I reckon if only the ref got a handful of decisions right Qld would have smashed them.

The better team on the night won the game and the series. Not necessarily the better team on paper though.

Phillips

Referee
QLD do have more passion than us

just watch the way they play and go into tackles.

mick crocker is a great example

James_Hardie

Juniors
If Darren Lockyer didn't score that last try there was about 3 other QLD'er's linnig up to do so. NSW couldn't get near it.
More desperation = More passion.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
doesnt' matter if he didn't score it, he was way offside=penalty NSW, end of story

they got out of jail on that one, no BOD there, unlike Mogg's and Guru's second try

Utey

Coach
tbh I had 100 bucks on the match for QLD to win so I was f*cken estastic qld won.

Hellsy

Immortal
I said at the end of last series they'd win this year... even though I really thought NSW were the best team on paper, they just didn't put it into action on the field....

Mr Saab

Referee
Twizzle said:
doesnt' matter if he didn't score it, he was way offside=penalty NSW, end of story
they got out of jail on that one, no BOD there, unlike Mogg's and Guru's second try

watch the replay again. Lockyer is not way offside.

mickdo

Coach
Where was Qld passion for the previous 3 series, eh? Qld only ever seems to 'have it' when they win. Pathetic really.

Latest posts