What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: ASADA and Drugs in NRL

Gronk

Staff member
Dean Ritchie ‏@BulldogRitchie 3m Sharks statement: 'Players have been offered a proposal regarding a possible suspension, which they need to consider before the weekend'

It seems that they have been offered a guilty plea with suspensions which range from 6 - 24 months. Those who take 6 months will be able to play in Rnd 1 or 2 in 2015.

phantom eel

First Grade
The other blokes should all just go and dob in "their senior colleague", and start to serve their six month bans. "Their senior colleague" would then get the full two years and likely retire, and they wouldn't have to worry about playing with him again when their careers resume.

The Sharks are a basket case anyway - take this opportunity to wind them up and let them become the the Sydney-based feeder team for some new expansion franchise.

40 years and won f**k all...

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
The player who accepts 6 months will need to provide "substantial assistance" to ASADA.

Sphagnum

Coach
Ricky Stuart will do anything to avoid the spoon. The timing of this latest development is all him IMO.

Gronk

Staff member
When the media say that the ASADA investigation into the Sharks is a "farce", what they really mean is that they are pissed that ASADA and the NRL don't leak and it's frustrating for them as they have had nothing to report on.

The 17 NRL players should count their lucky stars that they have a chance to walk away from this if they tell the truth.

I just hope that ASADA have done their homework and that WADA does not take each case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and appeal the leniency of the suspensions.

strider

Post Whore
I cannot for the life of me understand what they are talking about when they say they will back date 12 month suspensions to Nov last year - hence only miss 3 game

huh? but they haven't been suspended all that time? wtf?

bartman

Immortal
I think I read in one article (maybe a Roy Masters one) that it's because ASADA are acknowledging an overly lengthy process of investigation, due to their resources being focused on Essendon rather than he Sharks plus a wait for some legislation.

It sounds like ASADA are taking the blame for these, and saying that the investigation would have been completed faster - and closer to the original announcement - through no fault of the players concerned.

So it's not necessarily the "substantial assistance" 75% discount angle being applied - more the "through no fault of their own" 50% discount. It's a very generous deal for the Sharks players imo, but as Gronk says the discount/backdating has to be approved by WADA after the players make admissions and start their bans on Friday...

Gronk

Staff member
I cannot for the life of me understand what they are talking about when they say they will back date 12 month suspensions to Nov last year - hence only miss 3 game

huh? but they haven't been suspended all that time? wtf?

I think you'll find that the approach that ASADA (and hopefully WADA) are taking is that the players are "pleading guilty to unknowingly taking banned substances" So we can't compare this situation to that of an German weight lifter who took performance enhancing drugs to build muscle bulk or even Clinton Schiffcosfe (sp) who too steroids to accelerate healing for a bung knee.

Which brings me to expect that all the players will take the offer, relay the honest truth and get on with their lives. If Gallen is stupid enough to gamble his career plus cough up $100's of thousands in legal fees, he's dumber than I thought. The smart commercial decision is to accept the offer and then release a short statement which says that you accept that shit was injected into you without your knowledge and I'm moving on. Then make no further comment.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think I read in one article (maybe a Roy Masters one) that it's because ASADA are acknowledging an overly lengthy process of investigation, due to their resources being focused on Essendon rather than he Sharks plus a wait for some legislation.

It sounds like ASADA are taking the blame for these, and saying that the investigation would have been completed faster - and closer to the original announcement - through no fault of the players concerned.

So it's not necessarily the "substantial assistance" 75% discount angle being applied - more the "through no fault of their own" 50% discount. It's a very generous deal for the Sharks players imo, but as Gronk says the discount/backdating has to be approved by WADA after the players make admissions and start their bans on Friday...

So ASADA is basically saying 'you deserve a 12 month ban, but because we were slow in investigating you, you can have a no month ban'.

Don't take performance enhancing drugs kids, because, um, ???

Gronk

Staff member
So ASADA is basically saying 'you deserve a 12 month ban, but because we were slow in investigating you, you can have a no month ban'.

Don't take performance enhancing drugs kids, because, um, ???

I think Andrew Bolt stole your login OMC.

ASADA have acknowledged that the players had NFI what they were given.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you'll find that the approach that ASADA (and hopefully WADA) are taking is that the players are "pleading guilty to unknowingly taking banned substances" So we can't compare this situation to that of an German weight lifter who took performance enhancing drugs to build muscle bulk or even Clinton Schiffcosfe (sp) who too steroids to accelerate healing for a bung knee.

Which brings me to expect that all the players will take the offer, relay the honest truth and get on with their lives. If Gallen is stupid enough to gamble his career plus cough up $100's of thousands in legal fees, he's dumber than I thought. The smart commercial decision is to accept the offer and then release a short statement which says that you accept that shit was injected into you without your knowledge and I'm moving on. Then make no further comment.

If a player later said that he believed his confession was 'coerced', or rather that he was not guilty but the risk associated with not taking the plea meant he was forced to take it, would there be legal implications?

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think Andrew Bolt stole your login OMC.

ASADA have acknowledged that the players had NFI what they were given.

And if this was America, ASADA would be facing a civil suit from the Sharks for ruining their season (with what turned out to be nothing hanging over their heads!)

Gronk

Staff member
If a player later said that he believed his confession was 'coerced', or rather that he was not guilty but the risk associated with not taking the plea meant he was forced to take it, would there be legal implications?

No because ASADA would require each player receive independent legal advice prior to accepting a players response to the offer (like a plea bargain).

Gronk

Staff member
And if this was America, ASADA would be facing a civil suit from the Sharks for ruining their season (with what turned out to be nothing hanging over their heads!)

Rubbish. The Sharks admin are at the root of the problem and put their employees at risk. The Sharks should STFU and count their lucky stars that they are still in business.

Latest posts