What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Suitman

Post Whore
It is no wonder the A-League struggles when we continually lose our best talent overseas.
Adelaide United's Nestory Irakunda, a 17 year old, has just signed a $6 million contract with Bayern Munich. He has been a star for Adelaide over the past 18 months. He was 15 when he scored his first A-League goal.
He knows how to score.

Thank goodness he's an Aussie. We need a striker.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It is no wonder the A-League struggles when we continually lose our best talent overseas.
Adelaide United's Nestory Irakunda, a 17 year old, has just signed a $6 million contract with Bayern Munich. He has been a star for Adelaide over the past 18 months. He was 15 when he scored his first A-League goal.
He knows how to score.

Bayern already have a pretty good striker

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sack Abramovich ffs!!!!

If they won’t sanction Man City surely Chelsea will get away with it?

Unfortunately, I agree that money talks, and the rich teams get away with anything

FFP is a waste of time, Citihad actually took action against the ELP for bringing in FFP as it was a restraint of trade

bazza

Immortal
He knows how to score.

Seriously what chance has the A-League to compete on salaries here
I guess it depends on how his transfer fee is spent to see if anything good can come of this for the local league

T.S Quint

Coach
Seriously what chance has the A-League to compete on salaries here
I guess it depends on how his transfer fee is spent to see if anything good can come of this for the local league

A-League has no chance.
The positive thing is that young Aussie players are going overseas to compete with the best, so that should benefit the national team having their players playing in the best leagues.

hindy111

Post Whore
He knows how to score.

This is like a huge possitive for soccer. Unsure why you see it as a negative. The mor employers clubs can sell the more money they collect and they can spend on juniors and become little farms. Imagine every clubs getting to a point where they are selling 20mill worth of players a year. That's only about 9 million euroes and peanuts in world football terms. But for the game in Australia that is huge.

hindy111

Post Whore
He's 17 ffs. I'm pretty sure he's not in their plans this season or next.

He may never be in their plans. Big clubs across Europe buy the best talent, loan them out and give them exposure and then sell them for a nice profit in 4yrs time. That's how these clubs are so rich.

Suitman

Post Whore
I understand all that but it's not good for the A-League. Irankunda is an excitement machine as seen in the video above and it is players like him that draw people to games. Garang Kuol was the same for the Central Coast Mariners. He signed with Newcastle United in England and is now on loan to Volendam in the Erevisidie (Dutch First Division)
Anyone who ever bags out the A-League should understand this and our best players, even at this young age, head overseas.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
» FOOTBALL AUSTRALIA CONFIRM EIGHT FOUNDATION CLUBS FOR NATIONAL SECOND TIER

Matt Comito
Nov 20, 202312:02 PM AEDT

Football Australia confirm eight foundation clubs for National Second Tier​

National-Second-Tier-Foundation-Clubs_Photo_Brett-Costello_231120_24135.jpg

Football Australia has officially announced the eight foundation clubs for the inaugural National Second Tier (NST) set to commence in March/April of 2025.
The founding clubs include five teams from New South Wales and three from Victoria, chosen by FA following multiple phases of the application process that began in early 2023.
FA has confirmed the intent to select an additional two-to-four clubs through a refined application process, with two competition formats under consideration for the inaugural season: a 10-team competition with two rounds plus a finals series, and a 12-team competition with two rounds plus a finals series.
NST FOUNDING CLUBS
  • APIA Leichhardt FC (NSW)
  • Avondale FC (VIC)
  • Marconi Stallions FC (NSW)
  • Preston Lions FC (VIC)
  • South Melbourne FC (VIC)
  • Sydney Olympic FC (NSW)
  • Sydney United 58 FC (NSW)
  • Wollongong Wolves FC (NSW)
Football Australia CEO James Johnson said: “The establishment of the National Second Tier is a transformative step for Australian football, aligning perfectly with our 15-year strategic vision outlined in the XI Principles.

84 Baby

Referee
I wish them luck but I really don't think we can support a two tier competition, we struggled with one for such a long time with just one.
It really is a question of unaligned support. Will football fans in Melbourne back a game between APIA and Sydney Olympic and similarly with Sydney fans with a Avondale/Preston? Because otherwise those clubs are going to have a far narrower @Fanbase than ALeague clubs, especially considering it could be difficult (if shortsighted) for, for example, Blacktown City fans to watch Marconi.
On top of that, it’s also going to detract from ALeague clubs if it really gets going because support will be pulled between 6 greater Sydney clubs even more than currently. For example there is a large Wanderers fanbase that have stronger roots in Sydney United.
There are FIFA rules to work around but my thoughts would’ve been to align clubs with ALeague clubs in almost a reserve grade fashion. Roar/Strikers, Wanderers/United, Victory/South Melbourne, etc.
Promotional 2nd tier is probably decade away at best

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Some of those clubs have been around for ages and were in the old ASL league. I doubt the NRL could host a two tier competition, let alone the A League.

Avenger

Immortal
Soccer sucks in this country. I have completed lost interest in it. This B League concept will be expensive and fail. Soccer isn’t even at pre ARL levels with the sport in this country. Many Mediterranean Descendant business men have lost a fortune trying to prop up the game. I know a few of them personally. Some have walked away forever.