What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Canberra Raider in awful allegation

fish eel

Immortal
DISGRACED Canberra centre Joel Monaghan has expressed remorse and disgust after a photograph of him simulating a sex act with a dog was published on the internet.

Monaghan's NRL career was in tatters this evening after the former Test centre admitted to being the man at the centre of an alcohol fuelled prank which went horribly wrong at the Raiders' Mad Monday end of season drinks last month.

The photograph had done the email rounds before being published on social networking site Twitter on Wednesday.

"Joel can't blame anyone but himself for an act of stupidity that will haunt him for the rest of his life," Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan said in a statement.

"Joel wants to make it clear that he was the one playing a prank on an absent teammate by simulating the act.

"There are no words of explanation that can be offered because none can be appropriate.

"Joel has to now face his family as well as fans and supporters with that shame and has already undergone counselling to help him cope with the consequences of what has happened.

"It was a moment of abject stupidity brought about by too much drink and a complete lack of any thought process.

"The fact that someone has sought to compound the situation further by the use of social media only adds to the trauma, but Joel accepts that it is his actions alone that are at fault.

"He apologises unreservedly for the outrage that people feel at the moment and blames nobody but himself.

"He will meet the club over the issue and accepts that there must be ramifications but the fact is he is not in a fit emotional state to have those discussions at the moment.

"Joel is a genuinely good person who is simply shattered by a moment of sheer madness."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...e-over-dog-photo/story-e6frf7kf-1225947979232

I like how they have a shot at someone for distributing the photo......sorry, but if Monaghan isnt a dickhead in the first place there is no photo to share.....

carson

Juniors
Imagine how the absent team mate who was the victim of the prank must feel!!!!!!

What, was it the team mate's dog????

Eels Dude

Coach
I was thinking this was always going to end up as a lookalike but wow... can't believe he admitted to it.

parra pete

Referee
Drug Test gone wrong. He misunderstood the instructions ----He was told to leave a sample at the LAB.]
Seriously though, there is no apparent limit to the number of brain dead morons who make a career out of Rugby League..the morons who do the acts, and the morons who photo and circulate them.
Glad I haven't got mates like that...
What is this modern society coming too!!!! Is there no limit to what idiots will get upto?
What right do these people have to bring the game down to the gutter level?
Bloody idiots, over paid, under worked, with too big EGOS...and think they are funny, when most of the players of today are ARROGANT spoilt pricks...

Parra Guru

Coach
Drug Test gone wrong. He misunderstood the instructions ----He was told to leave a sample at the LAB.]
Seriously though, there is no apparent limit to the number of brain dead morons who make a career out of Rugby League..the morons who do the acts, and the morons who photo and circulate them.
Glad I haven't got mates like that...
What is this modern society coming too!!!! Is there no limit to what idiots will get upto?
What right do these people have to bring the game down to the gutter level?
Bloody idiots, over paid, under worked, with too big EGOS...and think they are funny, when most of the players of today are ARROGANT spoilt pricks...

tbh I think that if you are the type of person who would violate an animal, society should look past what you do as a job and be more worried about your mental state.

IMO the only people that will associate this incident with rugby league, are the rah rahs trying to score cheap points.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hiney, it is not fair bringing his wife into it. She is not responsible for his actions..but she is one who will go through the humiliation with him..as well as his parents and brothers and sisters and other family members.,.
These stupid Mad Monday's should be outlawed by the Clubs and the NRL.
You can't educate idiots..grog and egos don't mix....
Bingo!!

hindy111

Post Whore
cant blame alchol-yeh you may get drunk and wake up next to an ugly fat women-Im sure many of us have done this but hoesntly when i saw the photo i felt sick.its not even funny realy-Its disturbing

ROGUE

Juniors
This may out do the poo in the hotel hallway, and not to mention poo in the shoe julian o'neill fiasco

This may out do the poo in the hotel hallway, and not to mention poo in the shoe julian o'neill fiasco
it will even out do hopoate's midfield prostate exams anyone would think the nrl is running a f**kwit of the year contest

i cant believe a radio station would be braindead enough to put the picture online (even in melbourne) they are about to get the sh*t sued out of them

dazeely

First Grade
Takes the heat from us for a change. Was getting sick of reading negative crap about the eels. What a f**king tool though. I actually didn't think it was him. Fmd.

spiderdan

Bench
i cant believe a radio station would be braindead enough to put the picture online (even in melbourne) they are about to get the sh*t sued out of them
that station won't be getting sued. the photo had already done some rounds via mms and it was only a matter of time before it got on the web. regardless of the actions of the station, it's cause and effect. if monaghan (and the idiot who took the photo who's name i won't mention) didn't do their idiotic prank this wouldn't be happening.

the raiders need to take action on this and i wouldn't be surprised if joel got the flick. not sure what action (if any) they will take on his paparazzi buddy. if not the raiders then gallop needs to stand up. i can't imagine any sponsor related to league at club or competition level would be happy with this.

some of these idiot players just don't get it. whether they like it or not, whether they want it or not - they are ambassadors for the game and they are role models. these days you can't do something stupid without it getting into public view.

i get that league players are perceived by many as the dumbest pro-sports people in the country but i just don't get how stupid some of them do actually get. their actions at times just goes way past that of teenagers. it's absolutley pathetic at times.

parra pete

Referee
tbh I think that if you are the type of person who would violate an animal, society should look past what you do as a job and be more worried about your mental state.

IMO the only people that will associate this incident with rugby league, are the rah rahs trying to score cheap points.

Sorry, I can't follow that last sentence. Why would the rah rahs try to score cheap points???

Joel Monaghan is a Rugby League player who has admitted his part in this unbelievable stupid act.
I am a Rugby League administrator who is doing his best to promote the great things about the game; like getting kids to play it, promoting it to young adolescents as a quality way of life, and then comes along an international player sh*tting in a Hotel, a bloke committing an obscene act with an animal, players being involved in drug taking, players cheating, players belting their partners, players betting on the game, players involved in group sex, players involved in racial abuse, players being charged with rape....what does it take to get these clowns to wake up to themselves.
What is needed is a bloke like Jim Comans to come along and purge ALL the Club of the blokes who are not prepared to do the right thing. The game might struggle for a while, but in the long run it will be better off.
I want a code where my Grand Kids can grow up and enjoy the game as much as I have. To have their sporting heroes.
It makes me sick to the stomach to see the example being set by the so called Superstars....and I don't care what Club you support, every Club in the NRL has its share of boneheads...EVERY CLUB.
Makes it hard to keep interest when you know that the game keeps giving itself a BLACK EYE - and always at the most inappropriate time.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
that station won't be getting sued. the photo had already done some rounds via mms and it was only a matter of time before it got on the web. regardless of the actions of the station, it's cause and effect. if monaghan (and the idiot who took the photo who's name i won't mention) didn't do their idiotic prank this wouldn't be happening.

I would think there would be a difference legally between MMS and spreading something on the net in comparison to a media organisation publishing or broadcasting something like this as fact.

dazeely

First Grade
Nrl clubs should make a stance and not sign a player whom has been sacked from a club for such pathetic acts. It sh*ts me when a club does this as players think they can simply get away without suffering the consequences. Stand together and draw a line in the sand. Forget who the player is and think of the game, the sponsors and more importantly the fans. Afl and union can have them as far as I'm concerned.

[/B]

Sorry, I can't follow that last sentence. Why would the rah rahs try to score cheap points???

Joel Monaghan is a Rugby League player who has admitted his part in this unbelievable stupid act.
I am a Rugby League administrator who is doing his best to promote the great things about the game; like getting kids to play it, promoting it to young adolescents as a quality way of life, and then comes along an international player sh*tting in a Hotel, a bloke committing an obscene act with an animal, players being involved in drug taking, players cheating, players belting their partners, players betting on the game, players involved in group sex, players involved in racial abuse, players being charged with rape....what does it take to get these clowns to wake up to themselves.
What is needed is a bloke like Jim Comans to come along and purge ALL the Club of blokes who are not prepared to do the right thing. The game might struggle for a while, but in the long run it will be better off.
I want a code where my Grand Kids can grow up and enjoy as much as I have.
It makes me sick to the stomach to see the example being set by the so called Superstars....and I don't care what Club you support, every Club in the NRL has its share of boneheads...EVERY CLUB.
Makes it hard to keep interest when you know that the game keeps giving itself a BLACK EYE - and always at the most inappropriate time.
if the rah rahs or anyone else tried to make a joke out of this it would backfire big time i dont think they are that stupid
i cant see how the raiders can keep monaghan if they tried sponsors would be deserting them in droves they cant afford to let that happen

Latest posts