What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Canberra Raider in awful allegation

[/B]

Sorry, I can't follow that last sentence. Why would the rah rahs try to score cheap points???

Joel Monaghan is a Rugby League player who has admitted his part in this unbelievable stupid act.
I am a Rugby League administrator who is doing his best to promote the great things about the game; like getting kids to play it, promoting it to young adolescents as a quality way of life, and then comes along an international player sh*tting in a Hotel, a bloke committing an obscene act with an animal, players being involved in drug taking, players cheating, players belting their partners, players betting on the game, players involved in group sex, players involved in racial abuse, players being charged with rape....what does it take to get these clowns to wake up to themselves.
What is needed is a bloke like Jim Comans to come along and purge ALL the Club of blokes who are not prepared to do the right thing. The game might struggle for a while, but in the long run it will be better off.
I want a code where my Grand Kids can grow up and enjoy as much as I have.
It makes me sick to the stomach to see the example being set by the so called Superstars....and I don't care what Club you support, every Club in the NRL has its share of boneheads...EVERY CLUB.
Makes it hard to keep interest when you know that the game keeps giving itself a BLACK EYE - and always at the most inappropriate time.

Pete your club has really stuffed up. The morals Pete, the morals!!!
How do you bring yourself to support such a team of no morals. Even Tim Smith isn't that low Pete.

Eels Dude

Coach
Nrl clubs should make a stance and not sign a player whom has been sacked from a club for such pathetic acts. It sh*ts me when a club does this as players think they can simply get away without suffering the consequences. Stand together and draw a line in the sand. Forget who the player is and think of the game, the sponsors and more importantly the fans. Afl and union can have them as far as I'm concerned.

That's why the NRL have the option to de-register players for a certain period of time.

spiderdan

Bench
I would think there would be a difference legally between MMS and spreading something on the net in comparison to a media organisation publishing or broadcasting something like this as fact.
if it weren't Monaghan in the pic then sure. But there's no gray area. It would be no different if any other media outlet got a hold of the pic and distributed it. Had it not been Joel then yeah, they go to court but they didn't go about any unlawful means to obtain the photo and Joel (through his manager) has admitted it was him. There isn't really any grounds for the station to be sued.

mrpwnd

Bench
Raiders have really set the bar for off-field incidents haven't they?
Golden showers
Crazy driving
Drink driving
and now
Sexual acts with dogs.

I wonder what the headline will be when they vs the dogs next year?

Hellsy

Immortal
if it weren't Monaghan in the pic then sure. But there's no gray area. It would be no different if any other media outlet got a hold of the pic and distributed it. Had it not been Joel then yeah, they go to court but they didn't go about any unlawful means to obtain the photo and Joel (through his manager) has admitted it was him. There isn't really any grounds for the station to be sued.
The photo has been splashed all over the TV now too, they won't be sued on this one.
What a moron :lol: The dog shouldn't clamped down and taken a big bite, that would have f**ked him.

parra pete

Referee
Pete your club has really stuffed up. The morals Pete, the morals!!!
How do you bring yourself to support such a team of no morals. Even Tim Smith isn't that low Pete.

The Club hasn't stuffed up...the player has and he should be, and I have no doubt he will be, hunted by the Raiders.
Doesn't get much worse than what he has admitted to. I agree that Tim Smith wouldn't be that low - but can't follow what bringing him up has to do with anything.
I am greatly concerned about him (the Raider) doing self harm - I hope he is under watch.
Jake, it seems to me that bad behaviour is rife throughout the NRL..it is not just restricted to one Club, unfortunately...
I work very hard out here to promote the good things of the game - and I have done so ever since I have been in town.
It breaks my heart when I see people doing things to harm the game when they get on the grog, or high on drugs.
Bad behaviour is not only a blight on Rugby League but a blight on what we have become as a society.
Boneheads are put on a pedestal for being able to run with a football. Really, we need to look at what we are becoming. When is it time for the fans to take a stand and say Enough is Enough"...

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach

This website you're using right now banned any talk of this incident on the forums yesterday, and continully ban any links to the photo. I don't know what time this radio broadcast occured, but if it happened before Monaghan's statement was made this evening then yes legal action would be an option if the allegations were false.

Regardless, my comment if you choose to re-read it was in relation to how people sending private emails and MMS is a whole different situation legally in regards to slander than it is by publishing or broadcasting false accusations and naming names.

Eels Dude

Coach
Doesn't happen enough though. Set an example. Get tougher. It's obviously not working the way things are now.

Greg Bird and Todd Carney were both de-registered for a year and they the last two players involved in major off field incidents. Technically Joel Monaghan hasn't done anything illegal, but obviously stupid, disgusting and immoral. It should be up to the Raiders to determine the punishment for him. The flak he'll cop for this for the rest of his life will in one way be punishment enough.

sarahk

Juniors
I had a look through Canberra's Criminal Code 2002, and there was no mention of bestiality. However, i doubt something that is an offence in every other state and territory as well as many other countries, would NOT be an offence in the ACT ( especially considering the seriousness of the matter). I think it might be a matter of common law being applied, and even though it is not expressly criminalised by statutory law, there may have been cases where bestiality has been held to be a criminal act in the ACT.

Edit:

Ok upon doing some research on Canberra laws i found the Animal Welfare Act 1992.

Under this Act s7 states that it is an offence if the person commits an act of cruelty on an animal. ( matter of court interpretation as to whether the act he engaged in was an act of 'cruelty'.) So even if he doesnt fall under the Criminal Code directly, he can always fall under this category.

But yeah, im not really familiar with ACT laws and ill need to look up some case law, im just really curious to know as to whether he will be charged or not as i believe he should be!

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
I had a look through Canberra's Criminal Code 2002, and there was no mention of bestiality. However, i doubt something that is an offence in every other state and territory as well as many other countries, would NOT be an offence in the ACT ( especially considering the seriousness of the matter). I think it might be a matter of common law being applied, and even though it is not expressly criminalised by statutory law, there may have been cases where bestiality has been held to be a criminal act in the ACT.

I don't think it would matter either way... based on just this one photo taken as a prank, it would be highly unlikely for a police investigation to take place let alone a charge being laid (let alone a conviction). And while immoral, it cannot be considered a criminal act.

Bazal

Post Whore
It's not acceptable. Apparently it's simply been overlooked in terms of explicitly expressing that it's illegal down here, in the criminal code...because lets face it, how hard do you really think they were focussing on the eventually that someone would actually get jiggy with an animal...

sarahk

Juniors
I don't think it would matter either way... based on just this one photo taken as a prank, it would be highly unlikely for a police investigation to take place let alone a charge being laid (let alone a conviction). And while immoral, it cannot be considered a criminal act.

Eels Dude, if that happened in NSW, he would be charged with the crime of Bestiality. He engaged in 'sexual activity' with an animal and i just checked it now, it is punishable by upto 14 years imprisonment. It is both immoral and a crime. As Bazal states, it has been stupidly overlooked by the ACT Criminal Code but that doesn't mean it isn't a crime. At the least he can be charged with Animal Cruelty.

Eels Dude

Coach
Eels Dude, if that happened in NSW, he would be charged with the crime of Bestiality. He engaged in 'sexual activity' with an animal and i just checked it now, it is punishable by upto 14 years imprisonment. It is both immoral and a crime. As Bazal states, it has been stupidly overlooked by the ACT Criminal Code but that doesn't mean it isn't a crime. At the least he can be charged with Animal Cruelty.

Do you have a link our of interest's sake Sarah? Beastiality would probably be listed under a sub section of indecent sexual acts under the law... I know what you mean, but as the ACT doesn't recognise such a thing as a criminal act, then he cannot be charged with a criminal offence.

As different states and territories have different laws for these certain things, unless there'd be federal statutes overiding the state laws then legally he's done nothing wrong, as much as what he's done is completely disgusting.

Kornstar

Coach
I firstly don't understand why you would do this BUT to let it be taken as a photo is one of the dumbest things EVER!!!!!!!!

Darwin awards, anyone????

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Does anyone know if Orford is a dog lover ? if so I think we are now certains to get his signature!!!

My question is - what was Charmyne Palavi doing in Canberra at the time?

I thought she kept to the Gold Coast?

;-):D