What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gibber. I’m a fool for thinking that this could actually be going somewhere.
Look, I agree the NBN could've been better (and more expensive). But it could also have been cheaper (and worse). Either way merkins would have pissed and moaned, and I doubt they would have ever stopped.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Look, I agree the NBN could've been better (and more expensive). But it could also have been cheaper (and worse). Either way merkins would have pissed and moaned, and I doubt they would have ever stopped.

Is being better and more expensive a bad thing?

hindy111

Post Whore
It's just a thing. How much better and more expensive should we have gone with? You don't know any more than I do.

I have had 4g wireless for 3yrs. It's great imo.
Once 5g rolls put all these wired interent will be obsolete in normal homes.
Most people use tablets and phones these days.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Good time to be a sparky.
4ce0d6d9c06478af846a64baa8839d19

Bandwagon

Staff member
It's just a thing. How much better and more expensive should we have gone with? You don't know any more than I do.

Cool, so it's neither a good nor bad thing?

But yeah, whilst it's true I don't know how much better it should be, evidence abounds that it is not as good as it should have been.

There is also plenty of evidence to suggest that it's more expensive than it should have been, given how good ( or bad ) it is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well the key evidence that's missing is how much better or cheaper it could actually have been under the circumstances. But being government (rather than just the LNP) we should have a fair idea that it cost a lot more than it needed to.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well the key evidence that's missing is how much better or cheaper it could actually have been under the circumstances. But being government (rather than just the LNP) we should have a fair idea that it cost a lot more than it needed to.

Yeah I don't buy into the whole "the private sector does it better" ideology, but I do believe that the very partisan approach to this ensured we didn't get the value we otherwise might have had.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I don't buy into the whole "the private sector does it better" ideology, but I do believe that the very partisan approach to this ensured we didn't get the value we otherwise might have had.
The private sector doesn't necessarily do it better, but if they don't they're the ones who lose money, rather than the taxpayer.

The reason we have access to all this affordable stuff from the private sector is because they are out there risking going broke, and many of them do, thus effectively subsidising our lifestyles. This is why business owners are the modern heroes of society. It's also why it's so insulting when the government bails them out - because it shows the biggest ones aren't actually taking any risk (until government refuses the bailout).

If the government runs over budget trying to give us NBN they just siphon off more taxpayer funds. If a private firm does it they and their investors are the ones who take the hit, not the rest of us.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
The private sector doesn't necessarily do it better, but if they lose money they're the ones who take the hit, rather than the taxpayer.

The reason we have access to all this affordable stuff from the private sector is because they are out there risking going broke, and many of them do, thus effectively subsidising our lifestyles. This is why it's so insulting when the government bails them out - because it shows the biggest ones aren't actually taking any risk (until government refuses the bailout).

If the government runs over budget trying to give us NBN they just siphon off more taxpayer funds. If a private firm does it they and their investors are the ones who lose, not the rest of us.

TBH I think the sentence highlighted really negates everything else you say here.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
TBH I think the sentence highlighted really negates everything else you say here.
Well it doesn't because the government allows most failing businesses to die. Only the big employers get propped up because citizens need jobs more than they need welfare.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well it doesn't because the government allows most failing businesses to die. Only the big employers get propped up because citizens need jobs more than they need welfare.

Yet in the context of this discussion, it is only the "big employers" that would be remotely capable of offering a private sector alternative to the building of such a huge piece of infrastructure.

My view is that there's a point where any given organisation reaches a size whereby there becomes to many layers in order to manage it, and therefore becomes inefficient and unresponsive, government being the generally the largest of organisations, is not immune to this, nor is any corporate behemoth.

Of course there would always be exceptions, but basically the larger the organisation, the more internally f**ked it becomes.