What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

crocodile

Bench
The truth is rather subjective. Whether or not the discussion get's one closer to their own truths relies more upon having to think about how you can defend your version of the truth rather than how you might convince another that your truth is absolute.

The more you discuss these things, the more you are forced to think about and question the assumptions that are the basis of your truth, and the more you think about and question your assumptions, the more you learn how fragile the truths you hold can often be.
I can see how you reach that position but it isn't quite what I mean. To be clear I don't necessarily mean that entrenched views and their expressions that run counter to their political opponents are lies. They are clearly not. These are simply dogmatic elements of their various platforms. These are fair and are routinely campaigned upon. I'm more interested in statements that infer things like "We face a debt and deficit disaster". Our debt may be higher than one group would like but to call it a disaster is an outright lie and dreadfully misleading to the public. Saying that a price on carbon is not a tax is a lie because it is a tax. Telling the electors via SMS that Medicare is to be privatised is a lie. And so on.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I can see how you reach that position but it isn't quite what I mean. To be clear I don't necessarily mean that entrenched views and their expressions that run counter to their political opponents are lies. They are clearly not. These are simply dogmatic elements of their various platforms. These are fair and are routinely campaigned upon. I'm more interested in statements that infer things like "We face a debt and deficit disaster". Our debt may be higher than one group would like but to call it a disaster is an outright lie and dreadfully misleading to the public. Saying that a price on carbon is not a tax is a lie because it is a tax. Telling the electors via SMS that Medicare is to be privatised is a lie. And so on.

TBH that post wasn't a commentary on anything other than the post it quoted.

Gronk

Staff member
It's on ! Gladys vs Annastacia in a cage match. Winner gets Virgin's Head Office.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cameron Dick is taking the piss with that name, I wonder of he considered changing it when he got into politics

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
“Bam! I’m Dick Tracy! Take that, Prune Face! Now I’m Prune Face! Bam! Take that, Dick Tracy! Now I’m Prune Tracy! Take that, Dick F…”

Hd8wkaqbe6puD7rbQ4uJ-imBCEhsvYXSLVR08S6m_NE.jpg

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
he's right about the Murdoch media though, they do have an enormous influence on elections results
True, but he's still bitter that they turned on him.

He didn't have a problem when he was golden boy. He was happy to receive his golden showers from the media then.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
One dope's opinion of another dope. But hey, none of them will go away unless nobody cares what they have to say.
So being apathetic towards politicians will make them disappear? Interesting theory.

Have you been on the Woodstocks at Woody Point again?

Eelogical

Referee
So being apathetic towards politicians will make them disappear? Interesting theory.

Have you been on the Woodstocks at Woody Point again?
Why should anybody care what any ex-politician has to say? They had their time in the limelight. Buying up their 'memoirs' or 'biography/autobiography' is only feeding their ego or topping up their already overflowing bank account.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Why should anybody care what any ex-politician has to say? They had their time in the limelight. Buying up their 'memoirs' or 'biography/autobiography' is only feeding their ego or topping up their already overflowing bank account.

because you can learn a lot about what actually happened which is not released, or covered up at the time, amongst other things

Eelogical

Referee
because you can learn a lot about what actually happened which is not released, or covered up at the time, amongst other things
Or most likely, a grab for revenge, fame or fortune. Narcissists don't care for anybody else other than themselves, but I believe that being one is a trait that ones needs to have in their portfolio to be a politician.

Gronk

Staff member
he's right about the Murdoch media though, they do have an enormous influence on elections results
Was extraordinary viewing last night. MT spoke of his conversation with Kerry Stokes. Stokes and Murdoch had a convo. Murdoch’s aim was to get Abbott into the No.1 jumper

Murdoch: we’ve got to get rid of Turnbull.
Stokes: why ? Polls are looking good and he’ll beat shorten
Murdoch: 3 years of Shorten as PM won’t be that bad.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, he made it quiet clear that he wanted labour instead of Turnbull as according to MT, he could not be controlled

that bit sounded a bit self serving to me