What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

strider

Post Whore
Why would anyone in this country care so much about American politics? It f**king blows my mind how passionate people are about it!
The Sydney Morning Herald website did over 3 times its normal peak traffic on the day of the election .... people seem to give more shits than you would think

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Sydney Morning Herald website did over 3 times its normal peak traffic on the day of the election .... people seem to give more shits than you would think
People think it's going to affect domestic politics in their own countries. I dunno why. The progressive party of the US has just elected an old white conservative, and his VP, a cop descended from slave owners.

Gronk

Staff member
I listen to a US Podcast called Opening Arguments. It’s a comedian and a lawyer. Very entertaining.

Anywho they were talking about the multitude of cases by the Trump campaign. Of the 20 or so that have been run already, they have all been thrown out as having zero substance*. Half a dozen lawyers were threatened by the judges that their licences were in jeopardy for filing frivolous legal actions.

* except the one where they argued that observers were told to stand x feet away was unreasonable and they should have been told to stand x-y feet away.

There are many common sense precedents in US about voting in elections. Hence why they now have audits where votes are supervised by observers from both sides and forms that have been completed incorrectly are not discarded. If a vote is note clear, the observer’s job is to agree on the intent of the citizen.

One case heard last week was about postal votes. In this particular county, the voting form is received with the voter’s name on it and after they vote they need to complete their address on an envelope. Some votes are received where the address written on the envelope does not exactly match the computer generated address on the form.

Trump lawyers argued that these votes shoule be discarded. So if the address on the form was

55 Merkin Street, Merkinville NSW 2345

and the voter hand wrote

55 Merkin, Merkinville NSW 2345

they argued that it was not valid.

Of course the court did not agree and the matter was canned.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes...se-montgomery-county-mail-ballots/6286040002/

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
they care so badly this time round cos hating Trump has become a massive thing

It's funnier listening to the general Aussie who knows f**k all about politics in Australia let alone America talk about how they hope Trump lost and him being thrown out. And so glad Biden got in.
It's amazing how the sheeple react.

Bandwagon

Staff member
they care so badly this time round cos hating Trump has become a massive thing

As has latching on to his cock and refusing to let go, watch a bit of sky after dark if you're not sure what I'm referring to, five minutes should be plenty.

I'm very much anti - Trump,( I'm not a great fan of Biden either ), but I'm willing to concede that Trump's a fascinating character, he's very engaging, and that has translated to bums on seats, whether for or against.

It's much better reality TV than The Apprentice ever was.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Ok, so Trump winning makes it infinitely better for Aus?

Nup, the Trade deal Trump struck with China locked them into purchasing certain amounts of US goods and services, potentially good for the US, but many of those goods are the very same that China is now "unofficially" banning importers purchasing from Oz.

Now you could put it down to China reacting to some of the politics here regards our relationship, and that's probably at least partially true, alternatively you could put it down to China having to meet a quota for those goods, and in doing so there's little room for competition of supply from Oz, and a little bit of frosty relations makes that decision very easy for them.

It's pretty difficult to see the US throwing the weight of their economy around in anti-competitive behaviour as being "good for Oz".