What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Bandwagon

Staff member
A useful link for those concerned about data breaches that have divulged their personal information.

strider

Post Whore
I wonder if this will make anyone rethink the stupid necessity to have to provide compromising ID for the sake of getting a f**king mobile phone?

I dont give a f**k what anyone says, this shit will happen. Companies employ people and people make mistakes. Details will get increasingly exposed. Even if its just the possibility of internal people leaking secured data, its inevitable.

I actually provide the wrong birth date to any place that i deem unimportant. Its a piece of info that dumb f**k companies dont need to f**kin know, but is always part of bullshit security practices ..... the only problem is i forget which places i gave the right/wrong birth date lol

Incorrect

Coach
So my name, date of birth, address, phone number, email address, and driver's licence, were all stolen during Optus' data breach on Wednesday.

The stupid imbeciles emailed me today to let me know my data had been stolen.

They sat on that information for over 48 hours.

I am absolutely disgusted.
Same here.... I got the email on Friday around lunchtime... Then I also got my monthly bill emailed to me later that same day as a kicker... I'm going to call Optus and advise them I'm not paying the bill this month and I also want an Optus Sport subscription thrown in at no additional cost.

The worst part about the data breach is the not knowing when something dodgy is going to happen using my details. It might be 5 or 6 years from now before someone goes and opens an account it gets a line of credit using my details.

Something else I found interesting was that I did a search for "Optus CISO" on LinkedIn and I see their Chief Information Security Officer finished up in August 2022.... Coincidence or not I wonder?? Maybe this breach happened earlier than they are saying and they turfed him as a result....

Eelementary

Post Whore
Same here.... I got the email on Friday around lunchtime... Then I also got my monthly bill emailed to me later that same day as a kicker... I'm going to call Optus and advise them I'm not paying the bill this month and I also want an Optus Sport subscription thrown in at no additional cost.

The worst part about the data breach is the not knowing when something dodgy is going to happen using my details. It might be 5 or 6 years from now before someone goes and opens an account it gets a line of credit using my details.

Something else I found interesting was that I did a search for "Optus CISO" on LinkedIn and I see their Chief Information Security Officer finished up in August 2022.... Coincidence or not I wonder?? Maybe this breach happened earlier than they are saying and they turfed him as a result....

Yeah, it stinks to high heaven.

When we were in the hospital on Friday morning for my son, my phone ended up having no service for an hour, or so. I thought nothing of it.

Later, I was doing research, and that could sometimes be a sign of a phone number being ported.

I still have access to my number, so it's unlikely.

But because they have ALL my details, I can't exactlt reset any passwords - I don't know if they have access to my phone, my email, etc.

So I contacted my banks, put a credit block on me for a month (I can always extend it if need be), and reported it to the Cyber Security team at ASIO.

I'm bloody pissed, though.

I told Optus that if ANYTHING happens (eg: theft of my money, new cards/loans/accounts being opened in my name), I will be suing them.

They knew about this breach at least on Wednesday, and didn't alert us until Friday. It's beyond pathetic.

Then there is there security officer quitting in August, like you said.

Absolute joke of an organisation.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the media, I'd have had no idea about this even have happened.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wonder if this will make anyone rethink the stupid necessity to have to provide compromising ID for the sake of getting a f**king mobile phone?

I dont give a f**k what anyone says, this shit will happen. Companies employ people and people make mistakes. Details will get increasingly exposed. Even if its just the possibility of internal people leaking secured data, its inevitable.

I actually provide the wrong birth date to any place that i deem unimportant. Its a piece of info that dumb f**k companies dont need to f**kin know, but is always part of bullshit security practices ..... the only problem is i forget which places i gave the right/wrong birth date lol

I'm ok with it happening; hackers' full-time jobs are to do this sort of shit.

I'm not OK with Optus knowing about it for 48 hours before telling their customers.

Had it just been my phone number, and name, fine.

But they stole my number, email, name, postal address, Driver's licence info, and date of birth. And Optus sat on that information for a long time before telling their paying customers about it.

It is beyond unprofessional.

Eelementary

Post Whore
A useful link for those concerned about data breaches that have divulged their personal information.

I've reported it to them, too.

Thank you!

I asked for my credit details to be blocked, and reported it to the ACSC.

I cannot believe Optus' sheer incompetence.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

FFS! Twizzle was organising something for your upcoming 70th Birthday.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'm ok with it happening; hackers' full-time jobs are to do this sort of shit.

I'm not OK with Optus knowing about it for 48 hours before telling their customers.

Had it just been my phone number, and name, fine.

But they stole my number, email, name, postal address, Driver's licence info, and date of birth. And Optus sat on that information for a long time before telling their paying customers about it.

It is beyond unprofessional.

Im with Optus. What risk am I at? I didn't pay attention. Is there anything I should do?
Can I tell them to f**k of?

Incorrect

Coach
Im with Optus. What risk am I at? I didn't pay attention. Is there anything I should do?
check your emails and see if you got anything from Optus on Friday. If your personal details have been breached, then you could find yourself at some time in the future being hounded by debt collectors claiming you owe thousands of dollars for something you've got no idea about. A mate of mine works with a bloke who was a victim of identity theft and it took months of negotiation to get out of paying a $60K debt he had nothing to do with. It's a cluster f**k.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Approximately 9.8 million people had their personal data breached.

I would say it's likely that you have at least of your personal data stolen.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I would say to do the following:

* ask the credit report companies to put a temporary block on your credit report (nobody will be able to access it, and so no loans/cards can be issued)

* report to the ACSC that you may be the target of an identity theft scam

* keep a close eye on your interneg banking

* Do NOT give out any details to anyone over the phone claiming to be from your bank, etc.; do not click in suspicious links

If you can verify that your phone number hasn't been compromised, then change your passwords to your email, internet banking, etc.

strider

Post Whore

I would bet lefty that they found out earlier than they are letting on. I know another organisation where some users login passwords were possibly exposed and it took em the best part of 2 months to figure out the extent of it and who to force to change their passwords.

hindy111

Post Whore
check your emails and see if you got anything from Optus on Friday. If your personal details have been breached, then you could find yourself at some time in the future being hounded by debt collectors claiming you owe thousands of dollars for something you've got no idea about. A mate of mine works with a bloke who was a victim of identity theft and it took months of negotiation to get out of paying a $60K debt he had nothing to do with. It's a cluster f**k.

I've received nothing. How would I know?

hindy111

Post Whore
I would say to do the following:

* ask the credit report companies to put a temporary block on your credit report (nobody will be able to access it, and so no loans/cards can be issued)

* report to the ACSC that you may be the target of an identity theft scam

* keep a close eye on your interneg banking

* Do NOT give out any details to anyone over the phone claiming to be from your bank, etc.; do not click in suspicious links

If you can verify that your phone number hasn't been compromised, then change your passwords to your email, internet banking, etc.

Ok. My internet banking is on phone and I get messahe as soon as some money is taken out.
Will optus let me know if I have had my details stolen?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ok. My internet banking is on phone and I get messahe as soon as some money is taken out.
Will optus let me know if I have had my details stolen?

Yes, mate - you should get an email from Optus, telling you your details have been compromised.

Fingers crossed that you haven't been impacted, buddy.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yes, mate - you should get an email from Optus, telling you your details have been compromised.

Fingers crossed that you haven't been impacted, buddy.

I haven't received anything. But I will not pay my bill now for a while then use this as ammunition. This is a buisness lesson from one powerfull millionaire to another.
They want my buisness? I want 12mths free or goodbye.

Latest posts