What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
Give up on what exactly? What are your priorities in life? :pray::pray::pray::pray:
Living by my values ! :grin:

Other than Maslow, another merkin called Steven Hayes created a mindfulness regime that he called ACT.

Accept your reactions and be present
Choose a valued direction
Take action.

hindy111

Post Whore
Its not about losing faith in humanity, its about being realistic.

95% of people are decent. But if they aren't your friends they prob wont mind taking off you. I've worked for myself for 15 odd years. Plenty of people you'd think are friends will happily take your customers.....$$$

This may not be politically correct (so now you can't have a go at me for anything I subsequently say because if you do you're some pinko wanker) but all people who aren't white, straight and male are lying, cheating, smelly, loathsome spotted reptiles.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Privilege and position are subjective. You have pigeon-holed me, so that’s your opinion.

Your concept that values, tolerance and balance in life can only be achieved by those in a position of privilege is flawed and based on a weird concept of materialism.
No I claim that those with privilege have fewer values than those without. Values are ultimately about the things you won't accept, and I've seen first hand how money makes it easier to not care what others get up to.

BTW Do you realise that you play the man and lose focus in the premise ?
I could accuse you of the same. You have already misrepresented me, presumably because you've put me in a box. You see me defending the rights of the unwashed to hold onto the unfashionable values of their forebears and you assume those are also my values. But I am merely playing devil's advocate, and I do so because I know where they're coming from. I'm not as well off as you but I'm doing pretty well. My wife and most of my friends are middle class white progressives. Lovely people. But it wasn't always this way for me. I also know what it's like to lack social and economic security. You cling to the identity of your birth because that's all you've got. And you're also well aware that there are outsiders who hate you. Leaving this behind is in the upper tiers of Maslow's hierarchy. Most people have too much awareness and too little money to ever get past the lowly need for security. Only the well off and the clueless feel safe in the modern world. For everyone else things are changing way too quickly.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This may not be politically correct (so now you can't have a go at me for anything I subsequently say because if you do you're some pinko wanker) but all people who aren't white, straight and male are lying, cheating, smelly, loathsome spotted reptiles.
Some might say people embodying one or more of those traits are the worst types of people. Check out Judith Butler. #intersectionalism

Gronk

Staff member
No I claim that those with privilege have fewer values than those without. Values are ultimately about the things you won't accept, and I've seen first hand how money makes it easier to not care what others get up to.

Values are not fixed or mutually exclusive. There is no 10 Commandments of Values. The natives of North Sentinel Island will have different values than a Wall St Banker. The concept that the wealthy have fewer values is ridiculous. What you are trying to say, I think, is that values vary always. Ivan Milat vs Mother Theresa; Bill Gates vs Rupert Murdoch; their values have nothing to do with wealth nor does one have *fewer* values than the other.

Values are determined firstly by your beliefs. Environment (upbringing), spirituality, culture, education etc will impact your values. Rather than saying that values are things that you won’t accept, values are generally considered to be things that are important to you. Hence why values cannot be mutually exclusive.

Comparing my values to another’s is a worthy study, however my/your values are not wrong. They are merely different. What you can reflect upon is if my values align with the ethics of my tribe or perhaps my village.

I could accuse you of the same. You have already misrepresented me, presumably because you've put me in a box. You see me defending the rights of the unwashed to hold onto the unfashionable values of their forebears and you assume those are also my values. But I am merely playing devil's advocate, and I do so because I know where they're coming from. I'm not as well off as you but I'm doing pretty well. My wife and most of my friends are middle class white progressives. Lovely people. But it wasn't always this way for me. I also know what it's like to lack social and economic security. You cling to the identity of your birth because that's all you've got. And you're also well aware that there are outsiders who hate you. Leaving this behind is in the upper tiers of Maslow's hierarchy. Most people have too much awareness and too little money to ever get past the lowly need for security. Only the well off and the clueless feel safe in the modern world. For everyone else things are changing way too quickly.

Maslow created his little pyramid as a one size fits all aspirational guide to well being. His concept was that you get yourself sorted with the most primal of needs, as they are the bricks and mortar footings of your life wall. He said that you will need to satisfy these needs before you can move on to the next. So if you are hungry or thirsty or lack shelter, you wont be bothered with the other levels of the hierarchy.

You have applied his concept of safety to *wealth* within a village. However when you drill down on Maslow, he really just means security for yourself and tribe, protection from the elements (and elephants) , law and order, stability and freedom from fear.

So once you have the most basic of needs fulfilled, then you can focus on belonging, love, intimacy and community.

Once you have that you can then seek improvement of self esteem and reputation. Ultimately self-actualisation so you become the best version of self.

There are no failures with Maslow because the aspiration is ongoing. You may not get there until you are 60 or indeed you may never achieve contentment of self. As one merkin wisely said, it’s not about the goal, but the journey.

Gronk

Staff member
“Siri, show me an example of virtue signalling exposed like a Portuguese chicken. “

hindy111

Post Whore
Values are not fixed or mutually exclusive. There is no 10 Commandments of Values. The natives of North Sentinel Island will have different values than a Wall St Banker. The concept that the wealthy have fewer values is ridiculous. What you are trying to say, I think, is that values vary always. Ivan Milat vs Mother Theresa; Bill Gates vs Rupert Murdoch; their values have nothing to do with wealth nor does one have *fewer* values than the other.

Values are determined firstly by your beliefs. Environment (upbringing), spirituality, culture, education etc will impact your values. Rather than saying that values are things that you won’t accept, values are generally considered to be things that are important to you. Hence why values cannot be mutually exclusive.

Comparing my values to another’s is a worthy study, however my/your values are not wrong. They are merely different. What you can reflect upon is if my values align with the ethics of my tribe or perhaps my village.

Maslow created his little pyramid as a one size fits all aspirational guide to well being. His concept was that you get yourself sorted with the most primal of needs, as they are the bricks and mortar footings of your life wall. He said that you will need to satisfy these needs before you can move on to the next. So if you are hungry or thirsty or lack shelter, you wont be bothered with the other levels of the hierarchy.

You have applied his concept of safety to *wealth* within a village. However when you drill down on Maslow, he really just means security for yourself and tribe, protection from the elements (and elephants) , law and order, stability and freedom from fear.

So once you have the most basic of needs fulfilled, then you can focus on belonging, love, intimacy and community.

Once you have that you can then seek improvement of self esteem and reputation. Ultimately self-actualisation so you become the best version of self.

There are no failures with Maslow because the aspiration is ongoing. You may not get there until you are 60 or indeed you may never achieve contentment of self. As one merkin wisely said, it’s not about the goal, but the journey.

Where are you in this pyramid?
I think I may still be at the bottom few levels