What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

PJ

First Grade
Remember as a teenager watching my mum near wet her pants when they were playing She's Got the Book take off on the Roxette song

shadowboxer

First Grade
Only person to be pulled off live on air by Kerry Packer - one of Doug’s best.
Naughiest home video show lasted about 10 mins before Mr Packer called the station to let rip

DJDL

Bench
I loved Uncle Doug when I was growing up. Pretty much every commercial radio “morning crew” owes a debt of gratitude to him. Sadly, none of them come close.

My favourite Doug skit was somewhere around 1988. I think he was wanting a break off air for a week in order to go skiing, but the station wouldn’t give him any time off.
Well, he saw fit to that…

It started out something like Doug saying “Andrew the Boy Genius is going to read us a poem”

Denton: “I love a sunburnt apple tree, a land of sweeping plains”

Doug: “No, no, no. Start again, read the script”

Denton: “I love a sunburnt pear tree, a land of sweeping plains”

Doug, mildly agitated: “Andrew. For the second time, read the script”

Denton: “I love a sunburnt peach tree”

Doug: “merkin! merkin!merkin!”

I was in heavy traffic on the way to work at the time and you could tell who was listening to Triple M. Jaws dropped, fits of laughter, you name it.

And Uncle Doug got his week’s holiday.

I loved Uncle Doug when I was growing up. Pretty much every commercial radio “morning crew” owes a debt of gratitude to him. Sadly, none of them come close.

My favourite Doug skit was somewhere around 1988. I think he was wanting a break off air for a week in order to go skiing, but the station wouldn’t give him any time off.
Well, he saw fit to that…

It started out something like Doug saying “Andrew the Boy Genius is going to read us a poem”

Denton: “I love a sunburnt apple tree, a land of sweeping plains”

Doug: “No, no, no. Start again, read the script”

Denton: “I love a sunburnt pear tree, a land of sweeping plains”

Doug, mildly agitated: “Andrew. For the second time, read the script”

Denton: “I love a sunburnt peach tree”

Doug: “merkin! merkin!merkin!”

I was in heavy traffic on the way to work at the time and you could tell who was listening to Triple M. Jaws dropped, fits of laughter, you name it.

And Uncle Doug got his week’s holiday.
Shades of Gough, replying To a Member loudly proclaiming "I am a country member!' To which gough shot back "I remember !"

Yunupingu Well he was Brother of a Hard rocker and has an impressive resume of service to his community , and people. While visiting My sister in Sydney while she was getting Cancer treatment, we went to a little coffee shop near Kings cross for breakfast and Manuway was sitting alone at table next to ours . As country boy I hadn't seen a lot of celebrities and asked my sister Is that Yothu Yindi Lead singer ? She said "yes thats great thing around here you see lots of Celebrities ." All he was having was a bottle of Mineral water, apparently having trouble with his vocal chords.

Cools, ...... Satts and Sir Thomas (Bishop) actually attended The Park for a Sportsmans Night back in the 90's. I had a good lengthy time chatting with both of them. At the time I was working at the Pub and they were both sharing a room there. Satts was as often stated a perfect gentleman except when I told him to piss off. At the time I was engaged in an intelligent conversation with Sir Thomas and he was autographing my 67 and 73 jersey's. Satts said something like "what are you writing on that shit for." (joking) that is when I told the great man to piss off. He jokingly held out the car keys and told Tommy to look after these while he sorted me out. He was lucky he backed down or I would of flogged him.

p-me1.jpg

(Go the Mullet !!!)

The first time I actually met Satts was when I was a young bloke playing for Sylvania Heights. Must of been 15/16. Our coach was a friend or workmate of John and it was around the time that Souths actually had to direct Satts to have a few weeks off from playing as he was playing with busted ribs.

Anyhow he rocks up to our training night and we were all in awe the great John Sattler had come to watch our training. Next minute he is asking us boys to pack down a scrum and run the ball. Here he was, clutching at his ribs as he is running along with us. Our coach is yelling at Satts just to stay in one spot on the field and we could come back to him. Satts would have none of it. He said something about getting field positions right and it was only his ribs. He'd be right.

One tough B was John Satler
You were a scary looking dude yourself back in them days" Mr Quigsley" (as I would have respectfully addressed you then ) Probably just say ,"you old fart "these days ... Simply cause I dont expect to be around much longer anyways .

Quigs

Immortal
You can call me what you like Battered as long as it is not late for lunch.

I bung on a real turn at the nursing home if I miss the mess call bells.

taipan

Referee
Lasse Welland main guitarist for ABBA died played for the group in the 70s .Of cancer.
Didn't pay any attention to the guitar work in ABBA , Agnetha seemed to have all the right moves.
From that moment on I was a booty man.

DJDL

Bench
Bob Knodel, most famously known for confirming the earth has a 15 degree per hour drift in the Netflix flat earth documentary, Beyond The Curve.