What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Foxtel FoxSports / Kayo /Ch9 + NRL TV Rights

Gronk

Staff member
I did not know this.

Nine’s deal is up at the end of next season and the NRL can’t just sit back and wait. They have locked in a seven-year agreement with Fox Sports but need certainty around a free-to-air arrangement for three weekly games, the grand final and the showpiece State of Origin series.

The court verdict on Seven’s bid to dump cricket will determine their buying power for rugby league.

In these days of multiple channel free-to-air broadcasting, Seven has the capabilities to cover both league and AFL during winter months and completely dominate all markets.

Channel 10 was rumoured last year to be interested.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/b3018b83e4e96560b4000851659ae76a

strider

Post Whore
My gut feel is 9 will keep FTA rights .... but I reckon they will try and wriggle some games to Stan to try and lift the Stan sport uptake.

Having said that, I'm not sure what Fox's agreement is .... does it exclude 9 from trying to use Stan?

Gronk

Staff member
My gut feel is 9 will keep FTA rights .... but I reckon they will try and wriggle some games to Stan to try and lift the Stan sport uptake.

Having said that, I'm not sure what Fox's agreement is .... does it exclude 9 from trying to use Stan?
Fox/Kayo signed a deal with NRL to replace Telstra as the streaming rights partner. Telstra live pass has been ditched. You can watch games on the NRL site but only if you have Kayo.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/02/kayo-partnership-a-win-for-fans-abdo/

Ch9 already stream their FTA games, Origin and finals matches in 9now for free. Unsure if they will be able to utilise Stan Sport.

strider

Post Whore
Fox/Kayo signed a deal with NRL to replace Telstra as the streaming rights partner. Telstra live pass has been ditched. You can watch games on the NRL site but only if you have Kayo.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/02/kayo-partnership-a-win-for-fans-abdo/

Ch9 already stream their FTA games, Origin and finals matches in 9now for free. Unsure if they will be able to utilise Stan Sport.
Well yeah thats the bit i am unsure of, whether 9 can move into non-FTA ... i think they would love to ... even just 1 or 2 games a week

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
My prediction is that the NRL will go to Ch 10 and Bill Woods and Steve Carfino will commentate all games.

Kornstar

Coach
For people who have been using Kayo for a while, is the stream good during games or is there a lot of buffering? I only ask because I never had an issue previously with either Foxtel GO or the NRL app and now that I have signed up to Kayo just want to know if i should ditch Fox Sports (well Foxtel altogether) I keep Foxtel as the backup to Binge and Kayo that I have just joined.

Thanks.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
For people who have been using Kayo for a while, is the stream good during games or is there a lot of buffering? I only ask because I never had an issue previously with either Foxtel GO or the NRL app and now that I have signed up to Kayo just want to know if i should ditch Fox Sports (well Foxtel altogether) I keep Foxtel as the backup to Binge and Kayo that I have just joined.

Thanks.

I got it the other day and watched the trial through it. Worked great.

Gronk

Staff member

Thanks.
Haven't had a glitch for prolly 2 years.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It’s pretty good as long as you have decent internet, went over to my mates place and he has awful coverage and it buffered all night. I have fast internet and never have a problem.

Yeah depends mostly on how good your interest is. And I've noticed it also is affected by what devices you're playing it on. Chromecast one was horrible, Chromecast two heaps better but not perfect. I guess the latest Chromecast would be even better. Or smart TV.