What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Lockdown in Australia by this time next week I'm guessing.

Too many people are ignoring the stay at home request.

This time last week we were just under 1k, now up over 3.5k.

Since we off topic I have wondered how long the gold diggers/trophy girlfriends hang around when player get a 50% pay cut or more and boyfriend isn't on tv anymore.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Since we off topic I have wondered how long the gold diggers/trophy girlfriends hang around when player get a 50% pay cut or more and boyfriend isn't on tv anymore.

Problem is who are they gonna ditch them for? Guess there’s a few supermarket workers who’s status just went through the roof, haha

my workplace is safe I know that much. The place is f**ked if goods can’t come off/go onto ships. The bog roll must flow.
What's the policy at your work if a crew member gets confirmed as having covid? Whole crew has to self isolate? Or just the vulnerable?
Whole crew tested, non positive test get to come back to work in 72 hours (hoping for faster tests soon)

Also heard an interesting statement that those calling loudest for the lockdown have a job during or on the other side of it all.

JJ

Immortal
What makes the essential list in NZ is a bit random

NZ first death in Greymouth... astonishing that the hospital assumed she had flu, and so 21 staff now in lockdown. Seems she was already very unwell, but very sad for the family

Despite the PR the Govt continues to be incompetent imo, PM says act as if you have it, but apparently hospitals not told same and are reluctant to test a sick old lady and instead believe she has flu...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...f-government-covid19-national-response-at-1pm

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Again, I don't really buy the hype with Jacinda, but it's hard to fault her. Or at least, I feel like it would be harsh to do so in this case.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I found this article interesting regarding the NZ and Oz response

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/120902

This won’t be our only lockdown

Don’t want to be a Lion here, but last Sunday night I was sent a message from a friend who works for a govt department, saying that we would be in full lockdown on Thursday which was spot on, and the rest of that message said to expect restrictions gradually lifted after a month and potential for more lockdowns over the next 9 months til the main threat has passed

As soon as we open the border again, we are back to square 1 imo

JJ

Immortal

Don’t want to be a Lion here, but last Sunday night I was sent a message from a friend who works for a govt department, saying that we would be in full lockdown on Thursday which was spot on, and the rest of that message said to expect restrictions gradually lifted after a month and potential for more lockdowns over the next 9 months til the main threat has passed

Yeah I think things will change fundamentally for a while... the question is how much social and economic damage is done... Trump is a lunatic but in amongst it all he said something like “the cure can’t be worse than the cause “ he’s right, but of course difficult/impossible things to measure

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What's the policy at your work if a crew member gets confirmed as having covid? Whole crew has to self isolate? Or just the vulnerable?
Whole crew tested, non positive test get to come back to work in 72 hours (hoping for faster tests soon)

Also heard an interesting statement that those calling loudest for the lockdown have a job during or on the other side of it all.

I’d say that person and the gang they worked with would get stood down. Doubt it would be the entire shift. I haven’t been to work since it all started so I haven’t observed the distancing measures that are in place there first hand yet.

Borders won't be open till vaccine is here.

It will be interesting what happens in NZ when the shackles come off.
There will be an asymptomatic patient/s out there in the essential services and the spread would start again.
CDC tested one of the cruise ships and Covid-19 RNA lasted 17 days on a surface.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...bins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html

Hindsight is going to be a beautiful thing and hopefully we learn the best approach to these threats in the future.

Winter is going to be interesting.

Last edited:
What makes the essential list in NZ is a bit random

NZ first death in Greymouth... astonishing that the hospital assumed she had flu, and so 21 staff now in lockdown. Seems she was already very unwell, but very sad for the family

Despite the PR the Govt continues to be incompetent imo, PM says act as if you have it, but apparently hospitals not told same and are reluctant to test a sick old lady and instead believe she has flu...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...f-government-covid19-national-response-at-1pm
Article is a bit harsh, not sure of any country that shut borders quicker?
Hindsight a beautiful thing.
Ebola came close to getting out a couple of years back. I'd say if it started in Asia not Africa it would have.
No one shut their borders then.
But I'd say in the future they will.

Rich102

Staff member
What really concerns me is our record of intercepting cases at our border.
It appears a carrier can host the virus for 7 days before showing signs of illness or fever.
The one fatality we have reported to hospital where she was treated for flu prior to dying.
If she wasn't correctly diagnosed at a hospital what chance of being identified at an entry point?

Philip, your point about borders being shut till vaccines are here is concerning in light of the likelihood that won't happen for 18-24 months.

I think this lockdown is going to take far longer than a month.

Hope Lion is safe and well.

JJ

Immortal
Article is a bit harsh, not sure of any country that shut borders quicker?
Hindsight a beautiful thing.
Ebola came close to getting out a couple of years back. I'd say if it started in Asia not Africa it would have.
No one shut their borders then.
But I'd say in the future they will.

It's harsh, but the gushing praise has been over the top - we have neither gone hard, nor early...

It's healthy to have some critical debate out there, in my opinion - scary that people are so resistant to criticizing the Govt - that's exactly what should be done, and is being done most places. No Govt has handled it perfectly...

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
There will be 2nd and 3rd waves.

Lockdown, cases will go down, rules get relaxed, cases spike, and start again.

I think NZ believe they can eradicate the virus (at least until they open the borders) but Australia have no chance of that.

Right now it's about keeping the wave low enough for hospitals to cope. When the second wave comes they'll do the same again.

Eventually we'll hit that herd immunity point, but it needs to be slow and controlled to ensure hospitals can save as many lives as possible.

These rules and restrictions were never likely to be one and done.