What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Joey drugs bust

Nikki

Coach
And just remember also, our club probably hasnt been as clean as we would have liked it to be over the past years. So I guess you really gotta thing before pointing the finger. Which I dont think anyone has really done. This could have turned into a real Joey bashing thread but there is some good conversation going.

I hope that the NRL do get a bit heavier with the drug testing. They will probably talk themselves up over the next few days and then nothing will come of it.

bartman

Immortal
Exactly Nikki.

It would be naive to think that our club had no skeltons in the closet either, that every single player in the last 15 years or so had stayed clean of illegal substances during their time with us - big names or small.

We've certainly had our share of players in the late 70s that have since admitted were on performance enhancing substances at the time... Es and recreational drugs are where society has moved to, footballers will reflect this, and the game and clubs have to decide where it stands - and back that up.

Gronk

Staff member
fish eel said:
If Gus had any balls though, he'd call him a cheat.
Recreational drugs are not performance enhancing. Nobody cheated here Fish.

What dissapointed me was that he justified drug use because of pressure or to escape. There's plenty if kids doing the HSC who feel just like that now. I thought that was naive and potentially very damaging.

Nikki

Coach
Gronk said:

I havent watched the interview back yet, but did they name what other drugs that he took. How do we know that he hasnt taken performance enhancing ones over his career? Wonder if they will still be talking up his immortal status now??

Gronk

Staff member
Former Newcastle coach Michael Hagan, now with Parramatta, did not wish to elaborate on whether he was aware of Johns' battle with alcohol and drugs.

Hagan coached Johns from 2001-2006, including the memorable 2001 premiership.

"I know that he is about to publish a book too and from what I understand there's some things that he's prepared to talk about in the book which I think is going to be published certainly in the next month or two I think so some of that will become a lot clearer at that point in time," said Hagan.

"As far as what he may say or reveal, I think that's for him to advise."

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1329280

Gronk

Staff member
Nikki said:
I havent watched the interview back yet, but did they name what other drugs that he took. How do we know that he hasnt taken performance enhancing ones over his career? Wonder if they will still be talking up his immortal status now??

No but he did state a few times that he was seeking a high.

bartman

Immortal
OMG, Hages quote... "I know that he is about to publish a book too..."

Way to get some extra publicity and sales Joey, his manager's no dummy either.

:( A lot of the emotion is a put-on I suspect.

The absolute legality argument is a bit weak. Up until december last year it was illegal to tape a televison show, have any of you guys pushing this line ever done this? If so how can you justify breaking the law? Popping a pill is a victimless crime whereas taping a tv show violates someones copyright. Recreational use of drugs to me is on the same level as moderate use of alcohol. Drug abuse is as big a problem as alcohol abuse.

And before you say it, no I am not a drug user.

Gronk

Staff member
Die-Hard p/t Jet Fan said:
The absolute legality argument is a bit weak. Up until december last year it was illegal to tape a televison show, have any of you guys pushing this line ever done this? If so how can you justify breaking the law? Popping a pill is a victimless crime whereas taping a tv show violates someones copyright. Recreational use of drugs to me is on the same level as moderate use of alcohol. Drug abuse is as big a problem as alcohol abuse.

Good advice to the kids. Keep away from mine, thanks. :crazy:

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:

I tend to disagree on that point Gronk.

IMO, if he took some e's during the season because he helped him relax and escape from the pressure, then if it is not cheating, then it s borderline - because would he have performed out the same standard if he didnt have that outlet? I guess we don't know.

sportive cupid

Referee
Suitman said:
His excuse is a poor and cowardly attempt to get himself off the hook.
I would have more respect if he had come clean, and used his predicament for the wider good. This is a very poor example to set to all those who see him as a hero.

I'm surprised he didn't use the Warney defence - "my mother gave it to me".

Suity
Come on Suity- who in god's name would EVER admit to partying with their mother!!!

dio

Juniors
parra-matters said:
This to me makes the Knights 2 premierships tainted, if he was caught and suspened they would never have won those 2 GF's.

The big question is, is the NRL doing enough in trying stamp out drugs from the game and how many more are just like him?

so we won in 2001:cool:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
fish eel said:
I tend to disagree on that point Gronk.

IMO, if he took some e's during the season because he helped him relax and escape from the pressure, then if it is not cheating, then it s borderline - because would he have performed out the same standard if he didnt have that outlet? I guess we don't know.

drawing the long bow here fishy

having a few beers after the game is also relaxing

is that cheating, or borderline as well ?

Bigfella

Coach
I've got to say - easily the most riveting half hour of footy show - or maybe any TV - I have ever watched.

Johns is alswys so awkward on TV - you can tell he doesn't like assuming the serious persona, and given his mental health issues you can understand why. He probably always felt nervous that he would be unmasked.

I thought he answered honestly. At times he used phrases like "to escape the pressure" but I think that was more from a diffoculty expressing himself than trying to be deloberately evasive. He was being as honest as he could, and he was far more interesting to lsiten to than he was at any other time I've seen him on telly.

I thought Gould was brilliant. The questions flowed, he was passionate, and i don't think he went too soft on him at all. You could tell it hurt him to be so hard on someone he loves - but he did it because he knew it was the right thing to do.

I wish they hadn't stopped for an ad. Even when they did, you could see the pain on both of their faces.

Unfortunately - ten mnutes later and Paul Harrogan is singing and it's bedtime for Bigfella ...

fish eel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
drawing the long bow here fishy

having a few beers after the game is also relaxing

is that cheating, or borderline as well ?

I dont think it's such a long bow twizzle.

He took the drugs to help him get away from the pressure.

The drugs are illegal and banned substances.

Having a few beers isn't.

It might not be directly cheating in the true sense, but he WAS gaining an advantage, if only in his mind, by being more relaxed, over those players who played by the rules on and off the field.

In saying that though, I still say good on him for what he said last night

Gronk

Staff member
fish eel said:
It might not be directly cheating in the true sense, but he WAS gaining an advantage, if only in his mind, by being more relaxed, over those players who played by the rules on and off the field.

Ecstasy aint no picnic with the massive lows that follow the highs.

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/atod/od_ecstasy.htm

I fail to see how he gained any advantage compared to the typical (?) NRL player who goes home to the Missus after a few beers.

The Colonel

Immortal
If I was a Newcastle fan or had a great deal of respect for Andrew Johns I'd feel pretty cheated at the moment. He has admitted to illicit drug use, which drugs however he hasn't said, however a lot of illict drugs have different effects on the body. It would make you wonder whether it wasn't just the long term wear and tear on the body that caused the increase of injuries in the latter part of his career. Could well be that it lead to his career being cut short.

Gronk said:
Recreational drugs are not performance enhancing.

Maybe.

However the immediate effects of amphetamines are:

Some of the immediate affects of using amphetamines may be: ·

Being more awake and alert
Having more energy
Being more confident
Feeling euphoric, happy and positive
Increased talkativeness

A loss of appetite
Not being able to sleep
Increased heart rate and breathing
Headaches
Nausea or vomiting
Jaw clenching
Hot and cold flushes
Sweats

http://www.reachout.com.au/default.asp?ti=52

The top few would be of benefit to a person, particularly one suffering depression. It is a long bow but not that far short of being of some help.

The Colonel

Immortal
Gronk said:
What dissapointed me was that he justified drug use because of pressure or to escape. There's plenty if kids doing the HSC who feel just like that now. I thought that was naive and potentially very damaging.

There was a Drug and Alcohol Counsellor on the TV this morning saying that he would be conducting talks at schools later today. He said that he was pretty sure he would field questions about Johns and the fact that here was a person at the top of his game who regularly took drugs and showed no ill effects. It makes it reasonably hard to say to these kids that drugs are bad for you.

Parra Guru

Coach
he makes me feel awkward when I watch him on TV, I never know whether he is sincere or being a smart arse

Latest posts