What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Joey drugs bust

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Just saw an add for the show.
Gut instinct tells me it's going to be a sham, but I'll go into it with an open mind.

Suity

Well, it was interesting.

Johns has some good media handlers behind him. They've picked the perfect platform for him to tell all, ie....how he danced around drug tests, ie playing Friday night, not training on the weekend and out of your system Monday

If Gus had any balls though, he'd call him a cheat.

fish eel

Immortal
Verdict?

It was pretty tough to watch Matty Johns speak after it, and I hope Andrew saw that.

To be honest the Horse Flu is a bigger story than this to me.

But the NRL has to answer how he never got caught or did he and it was swept under the carpet due to it being him?

It's his life he wants to take the drugs fine, but he is a person kids look up to.

Suitman

Post Whore
It was a good interview, not the sham I expected.
Obviously, today, he decided to come clean.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
It was a good interview, not the sham I expected.
Obviously, today, he decided to come clean.
He has however, opened a can of worms regarding the drug testing of players.
That will now be the bigger story.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
quoting yourself hey suit?

Joey would have been preparing those answers all day.

But tbh, you could tell, IMO, that he was very sincere. Gus probably could've gone harder, but I guess it's a bit hard when the bloke appears to be laying all his cards out on the table.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Verdict?

It was pretty tough to watch Matty Johns speak after it, and I hope Andrew saw that.

very intersting..they kinda steered away from his depression or bi polar condition to focus more on what he did, the root of the problem could of been seen by the punter as being a cop out excuse.

maybe when he takes control of his illness he could not only be the face on an anti drugs campaign but also assist other people who suffer from depression.

strider

Post Whore
i thought it was pretty good tbh - asked him some tough questions

its good he's opening up about stuff - i've tended to think he's a knob for a while - i guess he's got some issues that affect his behaviour - quite a few ppl do

he talks the talk about stuff - but i get the feeling he's not over it all yet and he's probably not someone to be up front as the campaigner (just a feeling i have)

This to me makes the Knights 2 premierships tainted, if he was caught and suspened they would never have won those 2 GF's.

The big question is, is the NRL doing enough in trying stamp out drugs from the game and how many more are just like him?

goboggo

Juniors
parra-matters said:
This to me makes the Knights 2 premierships tainted, if he was caught and suspened they would never have won those 2 GF's.
Gimme a break.

He was the best player, and he had great teams around him. They weren't performance enhancing drugs, and you have no idea which other players were doing it.

The big question is, is the NRL doing enough in trying stamp out drugs from the game and how many more are just like him?
Now this is a good one, and I got a post deleted on the NRL forum regarding this, but that was before Joey came out with his admission. Hopefull I'm now allowed a little more leeway, in light of events.

The NRL are in the same position as most other sports around the world - they have a bunch of 18-30 year old guys earning sh*tloads of money with heaps of time on their hands. *edit*

I can tell you - and this is an absolute fact - *edit*

The one thing I will say is this - he will have pissed off a lot of people. David Gallup will be under all sorts of pressure to increase the testing, particularly on weekends and during the off-season. And there will be a fair few players pissed off that one of their methods of release has been taken away too - a lot of modern-day athletes would rather drop an E than drink 10 beers.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

eels_fan

First Grade
The big issue i think is that Joey admitted to the Knights knowing about his drug habit and saying/doing nothing.

The ramifications for the club from the NRL could be massive?? How far did it go? Was it just the coaching staff and players that knew (this possibly incriminates Hagan in any investigation that might be made) or was it the board and directors who knew??

I remember a few years back the dogs were fined $500k for tryin to cover up a positive coke test for a player (possibly mason but could be wrong) ... this is much bigger if going on for 12 years - could 2007 possibly get any worse for the Newcastle club??

Sterling

Juniors
Sterling said:
exactly !

newcastle residents i know always told me he would be off his face every time they saw him out in a club .... big drug head .... was protected though ....

looks like the info i got was correct.

goboggo

Juniors
You're a deadset f**kwit Dilmah.

People can speculate all they like about Andrew Johns, and I tell the truth about the NRL and you run around editing the sh*t out of it, even in the Parra section.

Hope you enjoy being an internet censorboy for the NRL.

bartman

Immortal
Interesting to read how this thread has developed in the past day or so, from what was a one off pill into a 12 year habit, and a fari bit of ongoing implications, even though he is an ex-player - I'd even forgotten he had a run around at all this year.

Haven't had the opportunity to catch the Gould interview, but the big bit is that the Newcastle Club knew about illegal drug use... and there'll be an issue between the NRL and Newcastle about that for sure. (Whether the NRL also knew, with reference to Australian duties may be something the public never get a clear answer on.)

As for Joey, I have sympathy that he's been putting up with depression/bi-polar, but a lot of people do. I know of people who do and choose to self medicate with Es and coke instead of the prescribed drugs, by reading the articles it seemed like at times he mixed both? I honestly think that as a person Joey would have had this pattern of drug use whether he was a footy player or not.

So again we come back to the issue of how does the game deal with the fact that a lot of 18-30 yos do this. We're in the same boat as AFL and Union, and I'd imagine Soccer in countries where that is a high paying sport. Where does the NRL sit on illegal behaviours and club knowledge, and to what if any level do they enhance tests for illegal (but not performance enhancing) drugs?

goboggo

Juniors
Am I allowed to answer, or are they rhetorical questions?

Bartman, the fact that you came in here and followed up Dilmah's post shows that you guys are getting off on your little power trips, and that's pretty f**king sad.

ps it hasn't been proven the Newcastle club knew about it, that's slanderous.

Latest posts