What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Joey drugs bust

Nikki

Coach
Geez... Just saw the ad for tonights Footy Show. What an over dramatisation. I better contact the papers too. I took one at Panthers in '97.. I better come clean! :roll:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nikki said:
Geez... Just saw the ad for tonights Footy Show. What an over dramatisation. I better contact the papers too. I took one at Panthers in '97.. I better come clean! :roll:

that place would turn anyone to the gear...:lol:

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
My son (Junior 5) posted earlier on how disappointed he was in Joey, You should of seen his face when he read the small article where Joey said he has had the problem with drugs for the past 12 years.
He turned to me and said "Mum, how can we look up to players like Joey now, how do we know if it's them or not, how many are taking drugs and why do they do it. "
I said it's only them that can answer that ???, but as long as you know it's wrong that's all I care about.
Football may have been his life, but if the pressure became too much, he could of always pulled the plug and tried something else. I can't see how taking drugs solves the problem, because it is still there in the morning.

Not taking a shot at you at all, but role models for kids really shouldn't be people whose greatest accomplishment in life is to play sport.

Get him a good role model like a Nobel Laurette or recognised charity worker. Maybe a guy like John Glenn or someone similar. Hell, maybe parents should be role models for kids?

Suitman

Post Whore
There was an inquisition a couple of weeks ago on the Footy Show - can't remember what it was.

Oh, that's right, it was the panel questioning Paul Harrogan about Newcastles woes. It was the most contrived, crap piece of television I have seen in a long time - (I don't watch A Current Affair or Today Tonight). loaded questions/prepared answers. It was seriously appalling.

I won't be the least surprised if it's as bad as that tonight.
As if Matthew Johns is going to let his brother be shamed on national television.

Suity

Kornstar

Coach
Parra R 4 Me said:
My son (Junior 5) posted earlier on how disappointed he was in Joey, You should of seen his face when he read the small article where Joey said he has had the problem with drugs for the past 12 years.
He turned to me and said "Mum, how can we look up to players like Joey now, how do we know if it's them or not, how many are taking drugs and why do they do it. "
I said it's only them that can answer that ???, but as long as you know it's wrong that's all I care about.
Football may have been his life, but if the pressure became too much, he could of always pulled the plug and tried something else. I can't see how taking drugs solves the problem, because it is still there in the morning.

Have you ever done anything to escape the world? Got really drunk over a break up or something? Everyone needs an escape, this was his escape.....it would be socially acceptable if he said he was an alcoholic for his whole career, everyone would feel sorry for him.

Because it is drugs though, it is bad, it is the worst thing he could ever do!

Alcoholic though :thumb maybe he should have said he was an alcoholic his whole career and it has gotten so bad after leaving that he truned to drugs.....

V1er

Juniors
He's under the employ of nine too so im sure they dont want him to look bad.

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
I won't be the least surprised if it's as bad as that tonight.
As if Matthew Johns is going to let his brother be shamed on national television.

Suity

Matthew Johns shouldnt have say in it.

Bloods thicker than water. He'll stick up for Andrew, as I would in his position.

It is up to the producers to have some balls and pull Matthew Johns form at least that segment tonight.

Also, I do think this is quite a big story....a 12 year battle?:?

Nikki

Coach
12 years, would that be his whole Football career? Its a problem that is rampant within all sporting codes. I just dont understand how grown men, can throw their money away like that, not to mention health, at some stage families..

Suitman

Post Whore
Nikki said:
12 years, would that be his whole Football career? Its a problem that is rampant within all sporting codes. I just dont understand how grown men, can throw their money away like that, not to mention health, at some stage families..

It's called stupidity.
Ask Wendall.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Nikki said:
12 years, would that be his whole Football career? Its a problem that is rampant within all sporting codes..

that's just a reflection of whats going on in the day to day world

Nikki

Coach
Nikki said:

Actually, this post is very sexist of me. I am sure things like this also happen in womans sport. Just the fact that no one heres anything about womens sport so it goes un-noticed!

Kornstar

Coach
Nikki said:

Speaking from experience, for 9 years i was doing what Joey did and not once did i feel i threw my money away (best times of my life), i have constantly been employed (for big corporations) i am in good health (never sick, no side effects) and i am happily married and met my wife out clubbing and she stopped well before me and we have no problems and never have! I also have plenty of friends in the exact same position as me....

I gues there are always different ways of looking at things hey? There are many opinions and everyone will have their story. It is an individual who will make a decision to believe something.

I am of the opinion that sports players probably should just concentrate on their jobs and not do drugs and drink etc, however not being a sports person and the pressures and temptations that come with it, who am i to judge?

Suitman

Post Whore
Just saw an add for the show.
Gut instinct tells me it's going to be a sham, but I'll go into it with an open mind.

Suity

Nikki

Coach
Kornstar said:
Speaking from experience, for 9 years i was doing what Joey did and not once did i feel i threw my money away (best times of my life), i have constantly been employed (for big corporations) i am in good health (never sick, no side effects) and i am happily married and met my wife out clubbing and she stopped well before me and we have no problems and never have! I also have plenty of friends in the exact same position as me....

I gues there are always different ways of looking at things hey? There are many opinions and everyone will have their story. It is an individual who will make a decision to believe something.

I am of the opinion that sports players probably should just concentrate on their jobs and not do drugs and drink etc, however not being a sports person and the pressures and temptations that come with it, who am i to judge?

Yeah I guess its not right for me to judge on the whole drug issue when I myself gamble on the pokies and come from a broken family due to gambling. Another blight on society.