What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Joey drugs bust

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Both Johns boys last night were close to tears. I doubt he was being a smart arse....

Guys do you reckon they could give us the 2001 premiership now? i mean johns had to of been doing drugs then, if there ever was a time that he would of taken them it would have been in the 2001 gf lol

fish eel

Immortal
hindmarsh4pm said:
Both Johns boys last night were close to tears. I doubt he was being a smart arse....

I don't think Andrew is a good enough actor to fake his sincereity last night.

Matthew was hard to watch. He was choked up

Guys do you reckon they could give us the 2001 premiership now? i mean johns had to of been doing drugs then, if there ever was a time that he would of taken them it would have been in the 2001 gf lol

Ben Kennedy had more to do with knocking us over in that first half....even though Joey got the Churchill.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
why the tears? because one of them got caught?
no because its a tough time in his life right now, its all hit him at once, when he said he had to explain it to his son, you could tell he was hurting, and when matty johns said he takes responsibility for it a bit, he was about to cry

fish eel

Immortal
Parra Guru said:
why the tears? because one of them got caught?

But to be fair PG. He did own up big time, and while he spoke of depression, it wasn't turned into a 'i've got issues pity me' interview, which it easily could have.

Parra Guru

Coach
Sorry, it's not that I'm challenging anything anyone's saying, I just have no sympathy or respect for either of them. I used to love both of them, I was such a massive fan, but then the arrogance kicked in and it turned me off them. The only think I feel sorry for him for is that I believe now he is retired, the Knights & NRL have hung him out to dry. I don't believe he could have passed all those drug tests. I'm sure they covered it up on more than one occassion.

The Colonel

Immortal
The Price of Immortality

By GoodBloke
30 August, 2007
goodbloke@sportsfix.com.au

Well Well…

Andrew ‘Joey’ Johns.

The legend himself.

Just what the hell are you up to pal?

You’re a 33 year old man going to a day club in Londondoing pills with your son at home in Newcastle.

A disgrace doesn’t even begin to sum you up.

You are an embarrassment, but you know that already.

You have washed away your career, but I guess you are figuring that out too.

But honestly, for me personally, I have completely dumped you, and everyone else like you.

Sure, now that you were finally busted you have played the ‘I have a problem’ card preemptively to try and get the public on your side.

Well I’m not interested mate. You don’t get to carry on taking drugs for over a decade and then try and skirt around the issue, claiming that you have depression. Maybe you do maybe you don’t, but to me it all just seems a little convenient.

I’m not convinced that you are sorry, just sorry that you got caught. A decade of use tends to show someone that has a flagrant disregard for the rules and for the law. This isn’t a one off error in judgment. It’s calculated, compulsive behavior.

It all just smacks of a PR exercise to try and get people to feel sorry for you. A guy that ‘forgot’ about a pill in his pocket is a joke, a guy that has a ‘problem’ is courageous. You knew this, so with no other option you decided to take the easy way out. Now that there was no more room to lie, to hide your compulsive addictions.,

You had no choice but to front up.

He was on the footy show talking about his problems. Some people might call this courageous.

I wouldn’t.

It is pathetic. There is nothing courageous about fronting up and telling people what you did. It is expected. It is the very least the guy could do for disgracing the code, the fans, the sponsors and anyone else with any other investment in the game – financial or emotional.

I just hope that the example of your fall from grace Andrew can be used by current players.

See boys, even if you don’t get caught during your career and get banned from collecting your precious pay cheques - everything you have ever achieved in the game can by wiped away by one incident. All the ‘greatness’ and adulation can be gone tomorrow. Your legacy erased.

And that is what has happened for Andrew. Every premiership trophy he lifted, every accolade he collected, every try he set up with a perfectly time passed, every 40/20 he kicked off those golden boots…all gone.

Every time anyone remembers ‘Joey’, the immediate denotation will immediately be ‘the druggo’. The history books will no longer read ‘Immortal’, but addict.

The concern for me is that if the ‘Great Andrew Johns’ can succumb to temptation, what hope for the rest of them? It just shows you how insidious drugs really are, with trouble lurking around every dark corner of every nightclub. That young men are so easily corrupted is deeply concerning, not just for sport, but for society in general.

The thing about Johns or any other player from any code that takes drugs -or does something idiotic for that matter - is that they think they don’t owe the game anything. They think there are no consequences, They think they’re bigger than the game in some instances…

Well you know what? You aren’t.

You are meant to be heroes to kids. Veritable Supermen.

The thing players don’t realize is that their actions affect more than their own fortunes when they do something idiotic. Forget club image, or brand personality, I’m talking about history.

Every time any player pulls on the jersey of any club in any code, they are pulling on a piece of history. Every joe average that has screamed for that club over a century, every player that has spilt blood in classic grand finals owns a piece of that joint history. The current player is playing for that – and that is an honour and a privilege.

It is also a duty. One that shouldn’t be ignored lightly.

Players come and go. The game is enduring. The fans will always be there, forking out their hard earned, generation after generation. They deserve the right to know that the current crop of players will preserve the fabric of the history they have created together, in tandem with the players, through the vehicle that is the game.

That history isn’t there for some wanker player to piss all over because he wants to go and ‘get loose’.

Andrew Johns complains that he had it tough. Sure he had a high profile and that can have it’s own challenges, but every kid dreams of captaining the Kangaroos. You lived every kid’s dream since 1908 Joey.

You lived your dream…and you have ruined it.

Sweet dreams in retirement.

You won’t be missed.

How sad.

Love GoodBloke.

This is reasonably interesting....... I share a few sentiments but probably not all.

http://www.sportsfix.com.au/Sportsfix/GOOD_BLOKE300807_3.html

Parra Guru

Coach
Wow, that's harsh, but probably true.

And I can't imagine how some knights fans are feeling about it all.

Avenger

Immortal
It was not as private as he states. People in the know have known for a long time that Joey was a "druggy." I saw him once at Fannys and he was off his tree on something other then alcohol.

The Colonel

Immortal
Knights knew about Joey's habit
By Dean Ritchie
August 31, 2007 ANDREW Johns said last night that the Newcastle club and its players knew about his drug taking.

The revelations from the rugby league player of his generation continued on Channel 9 as he described his 12 years of drug use.

"I know I'll never go near it again," he said.

His most stunning claim was that his club knew about his habits.

Earlier, NRL chief executive David Gallop said there was no reason to believe anyone had ever covered up for the former Australia captain.

Asked on The Footy Show if his family knew about his drug use, Johns said: "Yeah, I think so."

Johns was then asked if his club knew.

"I'd say so, on occasions," he said.

And his teammates?

"Yeah."

During a lengthy interview, the double Golden Boot winner also revealed for the first time that he took prescription drugs for depression.

"I sort of have for the last five years or so ... pretty constantly," he told interviewer Phil Gould.

"I didn't want to take it. It was because it stabilised me and took away these incredible highs I got on.

"But invariably after the highs I'd crash to lows where I wouldn't leave the house for four days.

"It contributed to the way I behaved. It could be a matter of days. One minute I could be literally willing to take the world on and that's when I was at my creative best, when I was playing.

"Then one day I could turn up on the field and I wouldn't want to talk to anybody."

Johns said he took drugs during the season "only a couple of times".

"There were times when I would be playing the biggest games of the season and it would be in the back of my mind," he admitted.

NRL records show that Johns was tested 17 times since 1998. Johns estimated "two or three times a year".

"I felt like I was on the borderline, maybe I could go positive, maybe I could go negative," he said.

"I've had so many close calls.

"It's incredibly selfish behaviour when you think about it.

"Drugs ... have destroyed the great times in my life."

Johns declined to say whether he knew of other players with similar habits.

"I don't know and I don't want to answer," he said.

"I'm here to talk about me ... you can't tar everyone with the same brush."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22337913-23214,00.html

Concerning....

Avenger

Immortal
If we are serious about our greats, Johns should never be made an immortal.

He had a responsibility and failed miserably.

Parra Guru

Coach
The revelations from the rugby league player of his generation continued on Channel 9 as he described his 12 years of drug use.

"I know I'll never go near it again," he said.

bullsh*t

carson

Juniors
Years ago when I lived over east I used to drink at sludge's pub, the stories he used to tell about the all night parties, especially when they were on the England tours, and what some of the players took to get onto the football field after a night of drinking and no sleep would make your hair curl.

Let's just say that Joey now has a lot more in common with some of the legends of the game than just freakish ability.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
If we are serious about our greats, Johns should never be made an immortal.

He had a responsibility and failed miserably.

I wonder if any of our greats would be considered that way if we knew what they used to get up to off field. I'm not sold on him being made an Immortal but for other reasons than drug use.

Gronk

Staff member
David Boone drank 52 cans of beer on the plane to UK, yet he is a hero. Why's that ?

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:
David Boone drank 52 cans of beer on the plane to UK, yet he is a hero. Why's that ?

You beat me to the punch, whilst I wasn't going to mention Boonie, I was going to say that what had been overlooked, but is equally important, is the reliance on alcohol.

Latest posts