What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- NZ Election

ozbash

Referee
Believe me... you won’t be laughin...

I know the people who work frontline you’ll be complaining to about the fact after your rent is paid you only have about $60 to live on every week.

Lol.. mate you couldn't be more wrong..

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah mate that's true but here's the thing. Any business that relies on below minimum wage migrant labour to be profitable is not a sound business. If you can't find a way to keep a business going and also have some respect for your employees and give them enough to live on, then are you really helping NZ that much?

I personally hate that our economy is mainly overpriced dairy exports and artificial property prices. Kiwis don't invest in anything that actually creates value. I don't like that the government subsidises dairy just because it's an important part of the economy. And I don't think migrant workers that are willing to do shit jobs should prop up orchards that would otherwise fail.

We need to be building profitable business that actually create value for the world, AND for the kiwis who work for them.

National has propped up dairy and done nothing to reduce housing prices because that's how they make the economy appear (falsely) to be strong. But if you measure the economy by more than just GDP, and take into account quality of life, diversity, equality, living costs, etc, well then our economy is actually quite shit.

To some extent, I say let those businesses who rely on cheap as chips migrant labour fail, and let's replace them with something better. It's worth a little economic dip if it means in the long run we have a far more structurally sound, diverse, robust economy, and not just a nation of property speculators.

Nobody says seasonal labour is cheap, it's just that it is only required for a short time and the local population can't fill the positions. .

Rich102

Staff member
I'm hoping that the new govt. will tax the f**k out of pricks like Fonterra's 8 million dollar man. The idea that we pay export prices for dairy products produced in this country is a f**king joke. There are plenty of born and raised Kiwis who can't afford to buy milk and butter and that's just f**king wrong.

A friend of mine recently put his house on the market and every offer from the 6 he got was from someone who needed to get their finance approved in China.

So yeah great job National in looking after the people you represent. I'm not loyal to either National or Labour. I only hope the next 3 years we see some real change and more people maybe owning homes instead of having no option but to rent. And no I'm not renting but I do feel for those who have no choice.

Add fish to the dairy products. We pay far too much for fresh fish. Let's see if the new government tackles these issues.

ozbash

Referee
No I'm talking about my personal situation, bro.
I think I may have a better handle on it than most, although I do appreciate what Shiz is saying re low income people in the far north and the struggles they face.

But yea, it's easy to generalize I suppose.

And a lifetime of dairy farming has not been to bad to me and my family.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah I imagine the past coule of decades especially have been a good time to be in dairying with the export boom there. Lucky you’re not a sheep farmer!

Rich102

Staff member
Well if the Northland port comes off it will be a big boost to the region.
Ironic since the region didn't elect either Winston or Shane.

Leber

Bench
The Coalition of losers haven't burnt the country down yet.

Guess that's a sign of success.

JJ

Immortal
THings getting awfully vague - immigration, home ownership, even student fees not quite as Taxcinda presented

shiznit

Coach
THings getting awfully vague - immigration, home ownership, even student fees not quite as Taxcinda presented
0_BA5_A5_B8-_F021-4235-8_FEA-6_A15_A76_D3_C4_E.jpg

Reactions: JJ

Rich102

Staff member
Must say Jacinda has started well. Defined where they are going to spend money - lots of it.
Let's hope it doesn't run out.

JJ

Immortal
$20 an hour min wage by 2020...

Loaf of bread will be $10.

Labour loves inflation....

LOL - indeed.... the numbers will be a problem - same with immigration - with that and the impact of the wage changes on jobs - who will pay all the tax needed?

Juju

Juniors
LOL - indeed.... the numbers will be a problem - same with immigration - with that and the impact of the wage changes on jobs - who will pay all the tax needed?
Haven't we just had 9 years of being bombarded that we are a "Rock Star Economy" - now we can't afford to pay a living wage.
Let's just stay a low wage economy for ever...

shiznit

Coach
Haven't we just had 9 years of being bombarded that we are a "Rock Star Economy" - now we can't afford to pay a living wage.
Let's just stay a low wage economy for ever...
Because national supporters are conditioned to think that any windfall made from our ‘Rock Star’ economy should go to giving tax breaks to the private sector and the top 10%.