What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Paul Carriage

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Also, in the same game a year later we led Melbourne 16-6 at halftime and went on to lose that one too.
Pretty sure Jason Smith bombed a try just after half time that would have put us up 20-6 with a KTC. Billy stitched us up this game as well.

84 Baby

Referee
Pretty sure Jason Smith bombed a try just after half time that would have put us up 20-6 with a KTC. Billy stitched us up this game as well.
I thought it was late in the game when we were down and all he had to do was draw Robbie Ross and pass to the winger who goes to the line untouched. Instead he ran at Ross, who hammered him, tried to throw a one armer around Ross's back and knocked the ball on.

The game I'm trying to remember is the one where Dave Riolo... or Woods? forgot how to catch a pass with a try a certainty

tresurehunt

Juniors
well i was sitting right behind the post amongst the masses of dogs supporters singing ,bring on the broncos (clapping hands) , lets just say the bus trip home was very quiet.

eel01s

Bench
The earlier poster was dead on, that ball hadn't stopped rolling when Cariage picked it up with one foot over the dead ball line.

Of course Harrigan got it wrong and of course we were on the wrong end of it. I still remember that passage of play - and thankfully not too much else from that game.

We are still exorcising the ghosts of that day. Hopefully Kearney can erase the mental softness that has plagued us since then.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
how do you lose from 18-2 up with 11 minutes to play.....direct John Simon (the then smartest Rugby League player i have ever coached....Brian Smith) to kick a field goal and when he misses and the chaos that was that day unfolded.....hook him off the field and out of the club

that was a horrible day.....

Good point, I was at the game, I remember Simon kicking a field goal which was probably the turning point.

Having not seen the replay until at least 10 years later, I didnt think we kept pressuring the Bulldogs after Whearat's 2nd try. We played really well in defense, until the Bulldogs first try which was an obvious forward pass but their heads went down.

Carige did make some huge blunders, but he made those blunders from when it was 18 all.

As for Schifscoske I agree, shouldve been fullback, he was outstanding, scored a freakish try in that game. Did some great things to keep us in the game.

The field goal was definately not over, I was sitting right near it I couldnt believe that so many Bulldogs fans claimed it was a field goal. But I knew once it was extra time the momentum was with the Bulldogs.

Whoever brought this up obviously loves giving it to Parra fans.

Well it was a nightmare, but 11 years later this came:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...harge-into-nrl-grand-final-20090925-g6ca.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm pretty sure Choka was fresh back from an injury spell..

I was also at that game and actually left after Poller mounter I think scored the try to nail us to the wall..

Parra Guru

Coach
Definitely not the same demons that haunt us today. Completely new group of players except for Hindy and Burt who were only rookies in that era.

Eels Dude

Coach
The pain of that loss was only taken away when we beat the Bulldogs in the '09 prelim for me. I have never watched that game. I remember listening to it on the radio live as a 14 year old and I turned it off once it got to 18 all because I couldn't believe it and was too nervous to listen to the last 10 minutes.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Best night IMO, what about the week before against the Titans at nearly fulltime "Bring on the Bulldogs".

Mr Saab

Referee
The pic of polla mounter was not him celebrating the win, but of the field goal that missed by inches in the 80th minute

spiderdan

Bench
I thought it was late in the game when we were down and all he had to do was draw Robbie Ross and pass to the winger who goes to the line untouched. Instead he ran at Ross, who hammered him, tried to throw a one armer around Ross's back and knocked the ball on.

The game I'm trying to remember is the one where Dave Riolo... or Woods? forgot how to catch a pass with a try a certainty
In the storm gf qualifier it was craig smith (the winger) that came across from over Jason smith's left shoulder in cover. Js just had to do a standard pass behind cs to his support and we probably would have won. Instead he went the fend and round the corner pass where cs was running into and spilled the ball. Commentators crapped on about how it was a great tackle but js lost it before cs even touched him. That same game Dennis Moran dropped the ball about 10m out with the line open. We made something like 10 line breaks to zip that game and should have won if not for a tonne of errors.

Anyway on the carriage game my recollection of it wasn't a dogs fg attempt from a drop out I thought carriage picked it up from the in goal to run back and kicked it (first of three brain explosions that game) down field. Silva took it and passed pack to polly who swept around and took a long range shot just before ft. Went to video (second time in one of our games also happened to lawler in 96 v roosters) and was judged no good. Schifcofske played fb I thought and had a good game until Brian took him, dymock and js off with 10 to go as they went into the game carrying injuries. The side relaxed and dogs stormed home to go extra time. After the game in the sheds Brian had a hissy fit singling out players telling certain guys they wouldn't be at the club the following year.

Parraren

Bench
I went to the '07 final against the Dogs and felt we were finally redeemed; that was our first finals match against them in 9 years.

The 2009 prelim was icing on the cake.

Yeah same for me.

'07 was our first real chance for revenge. Smashed them 25-6 at their home ground.

Standing up and pointing to the exits as the Dogs fans walked out with 10 to go was the highlight for me.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Was at these games, 98 vs Dogs, 99 vs Storm, 09 GF, and many others.
The first two had me looking for a crack to crawl in and hide.
I am still gobsmacked by these capitulations.
It's true, the song ain't over until the fat lady sings.

Agent Mulder

Bench
The worst part of it all is that I recall Carige was, in general, a pretty bloody handy player!

Tell me about it, I remember earlier that year he scored a 70 metre try against the Knights at Parra Stadium that brought the house down.

I do actually feel sorry for the guy now, I guess time heels old wounds but i refuse to watch the game again, The poor guy must still have nightmares about it.

Utey

Coach
Not a good start to the day, I was absolutely devastated after this one.

forward pass

Coach
Also, in the same game a year later we led Melbourne 16-6 at halftime and went on to lose that one too.

And if I recall, the week after our Buldogs debacle, in the GF, our reserve grade side (or I think it may have been called premier league) capitulated after having a large half time lead to lose the GF. It may have even been against the dogs too. Miserable week.

spiderdan

Bench
And if I recall, the week after our Buldogs debacle, in the GF, our reserve grade side (or I think it may have been called premier league) capitulated after having a large half time lead to lose the GF. It may have even been against the dogs too. Miserable week.
tick. about 20-0 at half time i think. casey mcguire was having a blinder that day, in the first half anyway.

Latest posts