What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Paul Carriage

Captain BF

Juniors
Why the f*ck does this game keep getting brought up? What about other capitulations in finals? Dragons in 05? Norths in late 90's? Cronulla did it as well one year. Souths in 87? (They had a great season then fell in a heap against the Raiders. I think Steve Mavin? left the ground at half time after having one of the great meltdowns in a big game) Who was it that the Knights got beaten by in the early 00's after having a big lead during that game? What about all of those and i'm sure there were plenty more.

We have beaten the Doggies both times that we have played them in finals since, so i don't think we have the scars anymore from that day.

It was interesting seeing how the players were with Cariage back at the club (or was it the R&C?. The years escape me.) after the game. They were seriously pissed at him and ostracised (spelling) him from the group.

DeanPay98

Juniors
And if I recall, the week after our Buldogs debacle, in the GF, our reserve grade side (or I think it may have been called premier league) capitulated after having a large half time lead to lose the GF. It may have even been against the dogs too. Miserable week.

I think it was against the Dogs. There were some massive punch-ups in that game too!

DeanPay98

Juniors
I'm over the 1998 debacle. When we beat the Dogs in the grand final qualifier in 2009 that erased the pain for me. The only thing is that the 1998 Eels team should have won the premiership. It was frustrating to see the Dogs the following week play poorly against the Broncos. From memory we beat the Broncos twice that year.

In 1999 I think we lost in part because the refs allowed the Storm to put on a series of cheap hits on Jason Smith. It sucked that we lost but it wasn't as bad as 1998.

DeanPay98

Juniors
how do you lose from 18-2 up with 11 minutes to play.....direct John Simon (the then smartest Rugby League player i have ever coached....Brian Smith) to kick a field goal and when he misses and the chaos that was that day unfolded.....hook him off the field and out of the club

that was a horrible day.....

Yeah it was bizarre. Smith went so cold on John Simon after that. I think he only got four games in 1999 before going to the Warriors.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm over the 1998 debacle. When we beat the Dogs in the grand final qualifier in 2009 that erased the pain for me. The only thing is that the 1998 Eels team should have won the premiership. It was frustrating to see the Dogs the following week play poorly against the Broncos. From memory we beat the Broncos twice that year.

We did... including the second round of the semi finals we beat them 15-10 in Brisbane earning us the right to go straight through with a week off to that preliminary final against the Dogs...

spiderdan

Bench
Yeah it was bizarre. Smith went so cold on John Simon after that. I think he only got four games in 1999 before going to the Warriors.
i thought he only played 1 that year and it was against the warriors (may have also scored a try) the weekend before he left for nz.

Parra Guru

Coach
Why the f*ck does this game keep getting brought up? What about other capitulations in finals? Dragons in 05? Norths in late 90's? Cronulla did it as well one year. Souths in 87? (They had a great season then fell in a heap against the Raiders. I think Steve Mavin? left the ground at half time after having one of the great meltdowns in a big game) Who was it that the Knights got beaten by in the early 00's after having a big lead during that game? What about all of those and i'm sure there were plenty more.

We have beaten the Doggies both times that we have played them in finals since, so i don't think we have the scars anymore from that day.

It was interesting seeing how the players were with Cariage back at the club (or was it the R&C?. The years escape me.) after the game. They were seriously pissed at him and ostracised (spelling) him from the group.

Ummmmmm....

Sunday September 25, 2005
n2.gif
Parramatta Eels vs North Queensland Cowboys at Telstra Stadium, Homebush Bay, Sydney (NSW)

PARRAMATTA EELS 0
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 29
Tries (5): Matt Bowen (23rd), Rod Jensen (35th), Brett Firman (39th), Ty Williams (55th), Josh Hannay (65th)
Goals (4):
Josh Hannay (4 from 6)
Field Goals (1):
Jonathan Thurston

Referee: Steven Clark
Crowd: 44327
Halftime score: North Queensland Cowboys 18-0

http://www.rleague.com/db/year/2005/national_rugby_league//qualifying_finals_review.php

JLoco

Juniors
how do you lose from 18-2 up with 11 minutes to play.....direct John Simon (the then smartest Rugby League player i have ever coached....Brian Smith) to kick a field goal and when he misses and the chaos that was that day unfolded.....hook him off the field and out of the club

that was a horrible day.....

almost sounds like Parra V Cowboys a few weeks back. still not sure how the cowboys won that game

spiderdan

Bench
I still laugh when people tell me that Carige lost that game. He most certainly did not.
agree. it is the only big game i blame brian smith for us losing but carriage's brain explosions in the last part of regular time and then two in o/t didn't help.

in the first half of o/t we had the dogs pinned close to their line. they kicked and barely got the ball over halfway. whereat let it bounce and when he went to catch it it went through his arms for a knock on. next set the dogs were attacking, we kept them out and they cross kicked. pretty sure carriage only had to let the ball go and it was out on the full. instead he jumped and took it. when he landed was pushed into touch. dogs got the scrum and scored.

similar story in the 2nd half of o/t. we started off pinning the dogs in their 20. they kicked just past half way. when carriage took the ball he planted his foot in touch after he touched the ball rather than before. dogs got the ball. the rest sucked.

at the end of the day we played well enough that we should have had more than 18 on the board with 10 to go in regular time but it just wasn't meant to be. there were 16 other blokes on the field that day that didn't do enough to win. unfortunately carriage was burdened with the brunt of the loss because most people remember the game for those three stuff ups.

DeanPay98

Juniors
i thought he only played 1 that year and it was against the warriors (may have also scored a try) the weekend before he left for nz.

You're right. I checked on RL Project.

Maybe it was the fitness issues at BS was concerned about. John Simon was only 25 or 26 at the time but he was a bit chubby I guess. Still he was a better halfback option than Penna.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The only thing is that the 1998 Eels team should have won the premiership. It was frustrating to see the Dogs the following week play poorly against the Broncos. From memory we beat the Broncos twice that year.

We beat the Broncos in week one of the semis in Brisbane that year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
almost sounds like Parra V Cowboys a few weeks back. still not sure how the cowboys won that game

The difference is, the Cowboys beat a team (us) who is among the favourites for the wooden spoon. The biggest mystery is how we led them in the first place.

Latest posts