What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Germany Tonight

fibroboy

Juniors
I noticed they didn't stop to play the ball 300 times.They didn't stop for scrums or video ref decisions.

TheParraboy

Staff member
is there any channel to appeal red card suspensions in the world cup? ... i admit i am no football expert, but that seemed a soft challenge to effectively get rubbed out for 1.5 games .... and i assume there are probably even worse cases ..... is there any opportunity to appeal a red card suspension? - or is it just a suck it up and live with it type thing?

Probably easier kidnapping their judical system and sending ours over :D

Eelementary

Post Whore
They rig the comp to get us in and then Australian carry on as if we are some sort of contender.

How would league or union fans here react if a Z grade nation failed to make it past the early rounds of a world cup, and then turned up with the same team four years later. A team that was considered old four years ago. They failed in 2006 and turned up slower, carrying more injuries and bigger egos.

We couldn't even qualify for 32 years, and now we carry on like good sorts.

No idea.

Historically, FIFA has done everything they could to pretty much make sure we DIDN'T qualify. They hate Australia.

And failed to make it past the early stages? Mate, four years ago we went deep into the comp.

I agree about the old and injured brigade.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't be so gloomy. Germany are a super side, and with the mind-bogglingly stupid selections Verbeek came up with (Kewell, Kennedy AND Bresciano on the bench? WTF?), we were always going to be up against it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
is there any channel to appeal red card suspensions in the world cup? ... i admit i am no football expert, but that seemed a soft challenge to effectively get rubbed out for 1.5 games .... and i assume there are probably even worse cases ..... is there any opportunity to appeal a red card suspension? - or is it just a suck it up and live with it type thing?

yes there is and he really should get off imo

nothing in it

Gronk

Staff member
Don't be so gloomy. Germany are a super side, and with the mind-bogglingly stupid selections Verbeek came up with (Kewell, Kennedy AND Bresciano on the bench? WTF?), we were always going to be up against it.

Yeah if you read the UK press they are talking up the Germans as the genuine favs with daylight second.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Germany are a powerhouse side, no doubt about it.

I have no doubt, though, that if Verbeek used more positive, aggressive tactics, we may have been able to make a game of it.

bartman

Immortal

I have no doubt, though, that if Verbeek used more positive, aggressive tactics, we may have been able to make a game of it.
i have every doubt. we're simply not that good, never have been - and i was there to see the 2006 wc run.

rowdy

First Grade
It's a bit of a shame that it's clear we are relying on good results in the next two games...except we would have expected Timmy to be there. No good for our for and against.

Oh well, what can you do...we can't always rely on 'arry and Bresch and the like but can't wait to see them!

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not saying we're that good. I always thought we were going to lose this match.

But the selections of Kewell, Kennedy and Bresciano all on the bench puzzled me. Kewell I can fathom, as he is carrying a niggling injury. But we need to score goals to win games, and the side he picked against Germany was pretty bad in that area. You could say he chose a side specifically designed to contain the Germans - and we let in 4 goals, failing in that area, too.

This current squad isn't great, but they're not horrible. The problem, IMO, is that they're living off the good work they achieved under Guus Hiddink, and Pim Verbeek is the Michael Hagan of the football world. A genuinely nice guy, but has NFI when it comes down to it. And, as much as I love league, I have to say - football/soccer has much more to it tactically than league. How you choose your formation, how you counter-attack, how you hold the ball, etc. Verbeek is hopeless. I couldn't believe FFA knocked back Fabio Cappello for this joke.

fish eel

Immortal

we got sucked in to the hype about Germany and were beaten before we took the field.

They were very beatable last night if we took the game to them. We didnt.

Fact is this German side are cumbersome at the back and inexperienced, lacking authority in midfield. They've got weaknesses that we didnt try to exploit.

The Germans played outstanding football because they were allowed too. We simply failed to put any pressure on them when they had the ball whatsoever.

If they win the world cup, they should thank us because we were so timid, we allowed their young side to feel right at home in the world cup.

Germany had little problems with the ball, have they had this ball longer than other teams? Adidas is a german company after all.