What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Ghana

bartman

Immortal
Geeze Bart, thats really harsh IMO.

Yes I think it was a penalty. But it was unfortunate. Just one of those things. He didn't f**k up. sh*t just happens sometimes.

Incidently, Kewell could have had a penalty early on. We also could have had a penalty against Germany. We've had no rub of the green whatsoever.
Fair enough.

I just thought he f**ked up with his arm positioning - it's drilled into defenders in juniors not to have your arms out on the goal line, either by clutching your shorts to make sure you only use your shoulder/chest or whatever. The whinging at the ref and refusal to leave was a bit of a prima donna act imo, Kewell doesn't seem the type to ever put his hand up.

bartman

Immortal
The played really well when reduced to ten this time, responded well and were unlucky not to get a result.

Just seemed like they weren't as switched on in the first game, for whatever reason (selections, positions etc). Them's the breaks, and the luck of the draw.

fish eel

Immortal
The played really well when reduced to ten this time, responded well and were unlucky not to get a result.

Just seemed like they weren't as switched on in the first game, for whatever reason (selections, positions etc). Them's the breaks, and the luck of the draw.

I just think that first game, we conceded the match before we went out.

All the talk about how much better Germany were, how we were up against, then bang, we concede that first goal and there goes all the confidence. Remember, we started quite brightly and had the first shot on target.

I've never known, no matter who they were playing, a socceroos side to talk down their chances as much as they did for the first game.

fish eel

Immortal
Fair enough.

I just thought he f**ked up with his arm positioning - it's drilled into defenders in juniors not to have your arms out on the goal line, either by clutching your shorts to make sure you only use your shoulder/chest or whatever. The whinging at the ref and refusal to leave was a bit of a prima donna act imo, Kewell doesn't seem the type to ever put his hand up.

It happened pretty quick, he is a defender, not a striker. I wont hold it against him. Showed good committment to be back on the goal line and had defenders done there job there wouldnt have even been a shot.

Dont blame him either for not wanting to go on. Such a big game, so much talk about his return and all of a sudden he is off. It was a penalty, a tough one though and geeze I felt for him

hybrideel

Bench
Fair enough.

Seriously though bart, when was the last time you saw someone get a red and walk off the field without himself and 3/4 of his team crowding the ref to argue about the decision beforehand

bartman

Immortal
I just think that first game, we conceded the match before we went out.

All the talk about how much better Germany were, how we were up against, then bang, we concede that first goal and there goes all the confidence. Remember, we started quite brightly and had the first shot on target.

I've never known, no matter who they were playing, a socceroos side to talk down their chances as much as they did for the first game.
Yeah, you might be right. It's one thing expecting to get beat by a much better side, but it's another not to have the fight in you to keep it to a 1 or 2-nil margin (which we were quite capable of, but something seemed amiss in the lead-up).

It happened pretty quick, he is a defender, not a striker. I wont hold it against him. Showed good committment to be back on the goal line and had defenders done there job there wouldnt have even been a shot.

Dont blame him either for not wanting to go on. Such a big game, so much talk about his return and all of a sudden he is off. It was a penalty, a tough one though and geeze I felt for him
Yeah, he's not a defender by trade, that's true. He got back to be where he needed to be given Ghana were holding position and getting shots in... he just didn't have his arms in the required position and (still) hasn't accepted he's at fault.

I stopped feeling for him when he was constantly/obviously showing criticism to the ref for not calling fouls in the opening minutes, there's a bit of a chip on the shoulder there I reckon?
Can't wait to read Cockerill's next article in the SMH this week. :crazy:

Seriously though bart, when was the last time you saw someone get a red and walk off the field without himself and 3/4 of his team crowding the ref to argue about the decision beforehand
True, they all throw tanties at that level. I guess after his press conference a day or two before the match where he came across as a twat because someone had criticised him in a small Aussie paper, the whinge and carry-on at the ref (and in media quotes ever since) don't really show him to have the character of say a Cahill or a range of his professional contemporaries.

fish eel

Immortal
I stopped feeling for him when he was constantly/obviously showing criticism to the ref for not calling fouls in the opening minutes, there's a bit of a chip on the shoulder there I reckon?

speaking of chip on shoulders?

Can't wait to read Cockerill's next article in the SMH this week. :crazy:

How big is Cockerills?

Did you see Kewells managers letter to Cockerill? Just ripped him apart

http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-201...beyond-papal-infallibility-20100618-ymq7.html

What a carve up :lol:

Last edited:

fish eel

Immortal
It's been quite a stoush!

I thought the manager's reply started off well, but lost its way after the first few points, and when he tried to go back in history for tiny things.

I've loved it.

There's obviously more to it than just what has been printed.

You know the funny thing, for those wanting to [righfully] criticise FIFA? They introduced a law that any tackle from behind was a red card, no questions asked. And the bloke who tackled Bresciano got off scott free...

You obvoiusly have no f**king idea what your talking about. There is NO directive to referees to send off a player that tackles from behind. However, it should of been a red card as the bloke has lunged in, studs up and connected with Bresciano.

As for the Kewell incident there is are two things that could have happened:

1. The referee didn't think it was a handball- play on

2. What did happen. The referee believes its a handball and calls the penalty. Since Kewell is on the goaline and has denied an obvoius goal-scoring opportunity has must be sent off as of the laws of the game.

TheParraboy

Staff member
1. The referee didn't think it was a handball- play on

2. What did happen. The referee believes its a handball and calls the penalty. Since Kewell is on the goaline and has denied an obvoius goal-scoring opportunity has must be sent off as of the laws of the game.

T Henry's blatant handball vs the Irish :x

Lock in no1 Eddy :sarcasm:

Fui!!!

Juniors
If we beat Serbia 7-0 we go through, bar a 4-4 draw or higher in the Ger-Gha game.

So there you have it Pim. Win 7-0.

Kennedy and Holman to start up front. 4-4-2 at least to start the game and keep a close eye on the other game and change as needed.

mickdo

Coach
What would happen then, considering our game was a draw and our differential was even? Would they go through because of a better defensive record or would we go through because of a better attacking record? Or something else?

If two teams are level on points and goal difference then next it goes to number of goals scored, so we would go thru over Ghana in that scenario.

fish eel

Immortal
Nah, that was just shoulder to shoulder

Yeah, not much in it, but I've seen those given. I've seen that tackle on Bresciano given a red.

Another day and another official and that match could have been very different

mickdo

Coach
Yeah, not much in it, but I've seen those given.

Whether we've seen them given or not is irrelevant really. There are crap referees everywhere that will give sh*t decisions. The question is whether it was a penalty, and put simply, it wasn't.

I've seen that tackle on Bresciano given a red.

Yep, because it was a red card tackle, and the ref was either incompetent or biased

Another day and another official and that match could have been very different

Absolutely, and that's the biggest failing of soccer. The referees have far too much power over the number of players on the field, and because of the harsh consequences it is in the players interests to excessively play up fouls and take dives.

There have already been 6 or 7 red cards this tournament, and that's in only about 25 games! How many send offs have there been in the NRL this year? :lol:

They either need to think about sin bin system or at least have a massive overhaul of the way referees interpret their decision making.